Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Do they have any idea when consumer version might be ready? I feel I really need to try this out, I can imagine what it would feel like to have to turn your head fully to check your 6 :D

No longer active in DCS...

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they have any idea when consumer version might be ready? I feel I really need to try this out, I can imagine what it would feel like to have to turn your head fully to check your 6 :D

Somewhere in 2014. Can't be more accurate. If I had to guess I would say first quarter but we never know. I think their product is almost ready but they are waiting for sufficient game support before launch.

I'm looking forward to the release of Vorpx (http://www.vorpx.com/). It is likely that DCS will be compatible and even if it wouldn't be as good as a native support it should give us a good taste of it :D

Oculus won the best hardware at E3 over the new xbox and Ps4... um, that must say something!

To clarify - Machinima gave Oculus Rift "The best hardware", it is not like

Oculus won the best hardware at E3 over the new xbox and Ps4

http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2013/06/14/inside-gaming-announces-best-of-e3-2013-winners/?utm_source=Oculus+VR&utm_campaign=68ff7caeff-KS_Update_Steve_Tom5_21_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_83417788de-68ff7caeff-53292185

You stand corrected... The winners were released yesterday.

http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/winners.html

I don't see xbox or ps4 there-- The 1080 Rift won

Edited by Flim

And rightly so. I'm very much looking forward to the announcement of the second developer kit version (which I assume must come as the current DK is not feature-complete).

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a second dev kit. With recent announcements and the recent infusion of capital into Oculus, signs point to all efforts being focused on a consumer version of the Rift sometime in 2014.

I would be inclined to agree. They still have many of the old units to ship and another prototype production run, and sales cycle, would be a waste of resources.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Of course venture capital is a nice thing to have when doing R&D, but if there would be no feature complete dev kit, how is a developer supposed to ensure his game is working perfectly with the consumer version of the Rift? If the devs would pay for them like they did with the previous kit, money wouldn't be an object.

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Of course venture capital is a nice thing to have when doing R&D, but if there would be no feature complete dev kit, how is a developer supposed to ensure his game is working perfectly with the consumer version of the Rift? If the devs would pay for them like they did with the previous kit, money wouldn't be an object.

I think that step will wait until they have a pre-production model of the consumer version and in that event the availability might be somewhat more limited.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• ED Team

The more I see of the Oculus the less I want to do on my pit lol

I think this is the way forward for flights sims and I am looking forward to trying it out when the time comes.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I think once the Rift consumer version is out, we will see drastic decreases of Eyefinity and Surround setups in the wild. The Steam hardware survey would be very interesting to monitor for these stats.

The more I see of the Oculus the less I want to do on my pit lol

Yup, I have been considering of transforming/integrating my racing cockpit to be used for flight sims as well.. but then I've realized that for a much much much much more less I would have a complete dynamic cockpit using the OR in the near future (i'm receiving my devkit next week, but I look more at the final version with improved res).

Btw the silence by ED is frustrating... they could add the rift support with minor effort really but they seems not interested (waiting for the retail version is IMO stupid, we need to introduce it today and tweak it with time, nor waiting the next year).

Yeah, kinda wish ED had the same enthusiasm about something this groundbreaking. It's like they see one major problem (not being able to see the keyboard) and are like.. nahhhhh. Not worth it.

If they had purchased the Dev kit, they could be figuring out right now how to go about solving the problem.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

• ED Team

In ED's defense... they do have a little bit on their plate right now... who knows what lies beyond that... but I am happy with what they are focused on right now...

Yeah, kinda wish ED had the same enthusiasm about something this groundbreaking. It's like they see one major problem (not being able to see the keyboard) and are like.. nahhhhh. Not worth it.

If they had purchased the Dev kit, they could be figuring out right now how to go about solving the problem.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

In ED's defense... they do have a little bit on their plate right now... who knows what lies beyond that... but I am happy with what they are focused on right now...

I hear ya, totally. I'm VERY excited about what ED is doing. EDGE, new maps, new planes, etc. It's awesome.

I just think the Rift is the best thing for flight sims... since joysticks. The fact that they're in the middle of making a new IG (EDGE) means that they have the PERFECT opportunity to integrate OR support.

But again, that's just me.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

Well, the future is about one year from now... I have been in (flightsims) all of my life which contributed to me working as a pilot for a living. All I can say is I could charge for my advice (consulting fee), but I will give this free to ED... get it done.

Sooner the better for your company!

I think once the Rift consumer version is out, we will see drastic decreases of Eyefinity and Surround setups in the wild. The Steam hardware survey would be very interesting to monitor for these stats.

I don't think the transition will be that fast. Remember the dev kit is an extremely woeful 1280x800 resolution. The consumer version is suppose to have 1920x1080P. While better, I have my doubts about how well that will look when it's all up in your face. You have to generally use a lot of AA etc in order not to see jaggies with 1080P. Remember, 1080P is the bottom of the barrel in current computer monitors.

Hopefully the company is successful and it will lead to 2560x1440 and higher VR headsets. That would be much more impressive and immersive.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

I don't think the transition will be that fast. Remember the dev kit is an extremely woeful 1280x800 resolution. The consumer version is suppose to have 1920x1080P. While better, I have my doubts about how well that will look when it's all up in your face. You have to generally use a lot of AA etc in order not to see jaggies with 1080P. Remember, 1080P is the bottom of the barrel in current computer monitors.

Hopefully the company is successful and it will lead to 2560x1440 and higher VR headsets. That would be much more impressive and immersive.

Have you used it?

until you do, judging from an outside perspective is very difficult. I hate to be such a fan boy, but it is really that cool!

Edited by Flim

Have you used it?

until you do, judging from an outside perspective is very difficult. I hate to be such a fan boy, but it is really that cool!

Flim, I haven't tried the Rift but I have tried the Sony HMZ-T1 which has similar resolution to the Rift developer kit. Unless you are referring to the 1080P version that was at E3?

1280x800 is simply and mechanically too low of a resolution for an immersive display. There is no way around that.

The HMZ-T1 was like wearing a torture device. I surely hope the Rift is more comfortable. But I do think people are over exaggerating the usefulness of a VR headset is. I don't care who you are, strapping a huge, heavy ski mask display on your face for 3+ hours at a time during a long gaming session will be much less comfortable than sitting in your chair viewing a monitor with your head free. Being able to see and hear your normal surroundings and let your eyes focus in and out once and awhile to relax them is underrated. I am sure the Rift is immensely impressive the first five minutes you wear it. What happens after 3 hours and your neck is tired, the pressure makes nice red gouges in your skin, itching etc. Is the thing counterweighted? I wear NVG's in the aircraft I fly and I dislike it very much due to all of the aforementioned issues.

I really look forward to trying out the consumer Rift. Will I think it will replace desktop monitors altogether? No, especially not with 4K arriving.

EDIT:

Here the developer even says the 1080P version has a screen door effect:

If they come out with a 1440P or higher version down the road, now that would really be impressive.

Edited by Callsign.Vega

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders