Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

I was hoping the new dev kits would be 1440p but, 1080p is better than nothing. If it has positional tracking also like John Carmack hoped, it'll be much improved.

1080p and an adjusted screen size.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a chance to try out the 1080p Oculus Rift yesterday at I/ITSEC, and it's a big improvement in clarity over the current dev kit version. The guy at the booth said they're hoping to have the 1080p kits available sometime early next year-ish. :)

Cool. I can't wait to see it in better resolution. My Note 10.1 is amazing at 2560x1600.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

If I remember correctly is bellow 500. Reasonable for potentially game changer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Dollars.

I believe they were hoping for well under $500 but no specific price has been identified, AFAIK.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Dollars.

I believe they were hoping for well under $500 but no specific price has been identified, AFAIK.

Wow.. If they can even come CLOSE to meeting that price point and have any kind of decent performance they will blow open the whole simming industry as that would be a better experience at a far cheaper price than multiple monitors, Track Ir etc costs now..

As for everyone's concerns regarding the keyboard and such, Maybe an onscreen keypad that could be moved anywhere you like? Something coded in similar to the kneeboard in use now. Not perfect but possibly workable..

Here's hoping they are successful with this thing..

Interesting tech times for sure! :thumbup:

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

It is not going to be ready for 'our' simulator anytime soon. The resolution is way too low... even the HD version doesn't offer enough pixels. It'll be nice to just fly around in the 'World' but actually finding and targeting the bad guys... ain't gonna happen IMHO. Then there's latency to 'worry' about. A lot of people are complaining about nausea although it seems Oculus has made great progress in countering that effect. From all the info I can find on the web it seems they have a long way to go before it becomes a viable add-on for DCS.

And I need to be able to see my keyboard... looking out through a slit on the bottom isn't doing it for me...

Now, CastAR... it has 'serious' drawbacks as well but it does seem better suited to my needs.

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

my wife asked me to do my Stevie Wonder impression again, wondered what she had been drinking till she explained.. COW...

:megalol:

Brilliant, that had me laughing out loud.. thank you!

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

The resolution is not so important compared to pixel density - for example press your face up near a 1080p TV or even 24" monitor, and it will look quite blocky, you can even see the tiny gaps between the pixels. Now do the same thing on 10" tablet one of the new phones that displays at 1080p and you will find it very hard to see the pixels let alone the gaps. The oculus has a 7" screen (i think) so with the pixels squished into such a small size it should be a fairly crisp experience.
The Rift is like a giant screen (no the other way around) so you'd need crazy resolution numbers to achieve a decent pixel density (in terms of pixels per degree of FOV).

The new Samsung Galaxy S V is to be one of the most dense pixel phone around. About 550 ppi for 5.2 inch. Resolution is more than 1080p standard there :)

What ppi does Oculus have?

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I think this would be a great idea,kinda like facetrack noir but with hands,or maybe reflective gloves.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

There is a new tridef beta out that almost works with DCS.... Only trouble I'm having is the FOV is jumping around and I think it is on their side. I played with all of the FOV setups and cannot make it stop.

Flying in a 3d pit with 6dot is pure awesome. One other issue, the mouse pointer does not match up in 3D... I'm sure this will be fixed with full integration.

There is a new tridef beta out that almost works with DCS.... Only trouble I'm having is the FOV is jumping around and I think it is on their side. I played with all of the FOV setups and cannot make it stop.

Flying in a 3d pit with 6dot is pure awesome. One other issue, the mouse pointer does not match up in 3D... I'm sure this will be fixed with full integration.

DCS is what I'm most looking forward to with the rift... besides Star Citizen. I hope they get it integrated soon!

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

That's great to hear Flim! Please keep us all posted on Tridef working out the bugs. I want to be able to replay our VFAT 6-ship demo with the Rift in 6 Dof 3D!

Are you sure you don't have an axis set to view zoom in axis settings? It usually has one set by default.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

It has to do with the shader analyzer, must be off in tridef.... but with it off it does cause lag with head movement. When tridef comes out with there dx10/11 update, I'm sure that will help. Hopefully DCS boys can get it going as well.

There are a few issues I have with this:

1) Social - playing for hours with Oculus thingie on is sure recipe for divorce.

2) How on earth I could get a real beer while simming with this on? Developing drinking problem?

:lol:

3) Procedures, procedures, procedures ... perfect visuals are really not that essential (although nice to have) for this great hobby of ours. Serious simming is about following correct procedures which are hindered by Oculus (not able to comfortably utilize keyboard/hardware switches/LCD panels/etc....)

For FPS and such (hey, sex simulator would be great, too :lol:) OR is the definitive game changer.

P.S.

I'm not against OR, I'll get one as soon as they have a stable, working one in stores (which, as always, means second generation product) - just don't see it as a replacement for custom pit + proper surround display setup.

1) Social - playing for hours with Oculus thingie on is sure recipe for divorce.

2) How on earth I could get a real beer while simming with this on? Developing drinking problem?

3) Procedures, procedures, procedures ... perfect visuals are really not that essential (although nice to have) for this great hobby of ours. Serious simming is about following correct procedures which are hindered by Oculus (not able to comfortably utilize keyboard/hardware switches/LCD panels/etc....)

For FPS and such (hey, sex simulator would be great, too :lol:) OR is the definitive game changer.

P.S.

I'm not against OR, I'll get one as soon as they have a stable, working one in stores (which, as always, means second generation product) - just don't see it as a replacement for custom pit + proper surround display setup.

Question, have you ever used the Oculus?

Also, #1 you could replace with anything. Sitting in a sim pit with a TrackIR on your head for hours isn't also a recipe for divorce? lol

#2 Drinking would be hard to do with the current Dev Kit, who knows what the final will have.

#3 Same as number 2. The consumer release could have this figured out. Maybe a camera on the outside of the device so you can see things through the HMD when you want, or a keyboard that works with the Oculus that shows up.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

• ED Team

You just have not found the right woman yet :)

1. she does as she is told or she can go

2. she fetches beer when she is told to do so, or she can go

attachment.php?attachmentid=91463&stc=1&d=1386866019

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Question, have you ever used the Oculus?

Also, #1 you could replace with anything. Sitting in a sim pit with a TrackIR on your head for hours isn't also a recipe for divorce? lol

#2 Drinking would be hard to do with the current Dev Kit, who knows what the final will have.

#3 Same as number 2. The consumer release could have this figured out. Maybe a camera on the outside of the device so you can see things through the HMD when you want, or a keyboard that works with the Oculus that shows up.

I don't have to try to make educated opinion about something, right? Like, I never tried to plug myself into 220V circuit to check if it really kills :)

Anyway, virtual part of OR is something which no one challenges. I tend to trust when someone like John Carmack endorse the product (I'll buy it when it become stable and available). Just don't see it as a complete game changer for study flight sims, yet.

Edited by danilop

I don't have to try to make educated opinion about something, right? Like, I never tried to plug myself into 220V circuit to check if it really kills :)

Anyway, virtual part of OR is something which no one challenges. I tend to trust when someone like John Carmack endorse the product (I'll buy it when it become stable and available). Just don't see it as a complete game changer for study flight sims, yet.

Well, as soon as you try it, you'll understand why it will be a game changer. ;) I was skeptical also until I tried it. Just sayin.