Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is still several weeks away. :(

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I wonder how many people could end up going blind from something like this. All jokes aside, I am bringing up a point to be considered.

OK, now back to the jokes... Once they finish the Virtual Vixens Force-Feedback OR patch, you guys will be done with DCS. Remember the movie "Altered States" :)

Edited by JG14_Smil

Blind... na, the optics are built for this, and actually better for you then looking at your 2d flat lcd monitor all day.

I've been testing rift demos for the past couple of days and I'm convinced that rift can provide the most realistic experience for DCS. The immersion factor is the cube x 5.

Now, to get a perfect experience we need higher res panels, and Oculus knows this. At this point though, I would much rather fly in stero 3d with 1:1 headtracking then look at a 2d flat screen... everything else seems boring even with the screen door effect!

I tested DCS sbs by adjusting the view ports which got me close, but in order to fully use OR in DCS we need a driver. There are adjustments that are required that I cannot do without distortion correct and IPD input. Lastly, headtracking 1:1 is awesome and works perfect in the demos, so hopefully soon there will be a way to integrate this in with the driver.

Caution, the 800p panel is low res and you will have to zoom into the mfd's to see them, but the immersion factor making you feel like your actually sitting in the Aces II is well worth the sacrifice until we can get the 1080 or 4k panel.

I was lucky a couple of days ago when a A-10C parked right next to our Sovereign in KAMA. I was even more lucky to sit in the cockpit for a bit... I ran a fake start flow to see what DCS-A10 has taught me and the A10 pilot said my flow was the same as his. Actually, he has seen DCS and said it was on the money. Back to the Rift, the initial testing gave me a feeling almost as good as sitting in the real pit.

Closing statment... The Rift is mind blowing and I can't wait to see what the future brings!

Happy Easter all

Edited by Flim
  • Like 1

Closing statment... The Rift is mind blowing and I can't wait to see what the future brings!

Sounds bang on, cheers.

2014 is a long way off for the consumer version :helpsmilie:

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

2014 is a long way off for the consumer version :helpsmilie:

Given the fact that ED still would have to support it and the time that would take, any sooner than a year would do you little or no good anyway.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks for the info Flim.

Never tried the occulus but i have the same feeling about the immersion factor.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

hey flim, how are you running DCS side by side?
You can try some of the external software, for example "IZ3D"

http://www.iz3d.com/

Edited by Suchacz

It seems that Jason has no previous knowledge of the product.

The oculus team have acknowledged a number of these points WRT the development kit. Most of these issues are related to the screen which is slow and not high res. But we have been told that this will be fixed for the consumer version.

As fas as the 1:1 for the head movement, who really knows. I know that what he says cannot be given as gospel as he obviously hasn't been following things and this is just how it was set up. That doesnt mean that this is how it will have to be and off the top of my head I can think of easy ways to give scale to it.

That's why I enclosed (dev kit) in brackets.... I'd be happy to purchase it if it would mean the head tracking part can register true 360 degree movement.

I got a dev kit here... Some comments:

Cumbersome? Don't we have to put on a headset anyhow for TrackIR? Instead of having to wear headsets, we can wear head buds. Weight is about the same.

Blurry - yep pretty much. Consumer version will be much better with the expected high res panel. I am however, very concerned about the optics - in addition to the blurry mess, there are strong chromatic abbreviations on the outside FOV.

No scaled tracking - this is none-issue. We want the ultimate sim experience, why do we want scaled movement? RL pilots gets fatigued, so should we then. A VR experience is about being embodied, not using our head to move a camera like TrackIR. In any case, you can always duct tape a TrackIR clip :) I suspect there will be more motion sickness issues with scaled movement though.

By that you expect all people having cockpits in their basements and not all people do. Not all people can afford the heavy stuff you can afford (pre-2008 maybe, def no-no this time). Verdict: I'll observe and if I bite, I bite.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Sorry for digging up this old topic, but shouldn't implementing Oculus be the same as implementing TrackIR? So no problem at all?

Not quite, currently there are issues with the placement of some objects (Like Hud Symbology) from 2 different viewpoints.

It will take a bit of work to get it operating correctly.

Nate

Sorry for digging up this old topic, but shouldn't implementing Oculus be the same as implementing TrackIR? So no problem at all?

Looking at the Valve TF2 Oculus Rift Wiki, it does seem there is a fair bit of work involved.

We need to beg or bribe c0ff to sneak in some code when he can..

Imagine if it delays EDGE :megalol:

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

Ya, we need some internal help to get this thing working right...

I'm kind of disappointed that after a PM, (ED) is not interested in supporting Oculus because you can't see the keyboard. In my opinion you don't understand the potential until you try it, seeing is believing. Money talks though, so if enough people show interest, then I'm sure support will added.

I would speak up if you do have an interest to see Oculus rift officially supported.

Edited by Flim

I'm kind of disappointed that after a PM, (ED) is not interested in supporting Oculus because you can't see the keyboard. In my opinion you don't understand the potential until you try it, seeing is believing. Money talks though, so if enough people show interest, then I'm sure support will added.

I would speak up if you do have an interest to see Oculus rift officially supported.

It certainly sounds like a lot of potential is there. The keyboard 'problem' could be overcome or compensated for somehow. Either the hand motion detection hardware/software that is coming out, or perhaps a small camera with an option to bring it up in a "picture-in-picture" mode when needed. (Kind of like the way people re-center / lock their TrackIR at times). Plus, there is always the voice activation software route...

I'd like to see Oculus Rift supported. And announcing the intent to do so sooner, rather than later, could possibly help some folks avoid spending a lot of money on some other approach (ie. Building a "cube"). If the Rift would be better, I'd rather put the money into that, instead of projectors, etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Absolutely. The time to start looking at this is now, not when it's available on Amazon.

I'm kind of disappointed that after a PM, (ED) is not interested in supporting Oculus because you can't see the keyboard..[/b]

Well i dont see any problem here because most of the controls is on hotas and for the rest of them you can use mouse.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

Yeah, how are you going to operate FC3 or other flyables without having regard to the keyboard?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Yeah, how are you going to operate FC3 or other flyables without having regard to the keyboard?

Same with in DCS, if you were online and need to type a chat message. There will always be a situation where you need to look at the keyboard. Maybe an onscreen virtual keyboard. Also, an option to blank screen in the Rift by pressing a key so you can see regularly.

I imagine though that Trackir/Natural Point must be thinking this a major threat to them.

Edited by Crunch