Aircraft Visibility

Dejjvid

Aircraft Visibility  

428 members have voted

1. 1. Aircraft Visibility

• Increase dot size.
    • It's perfect the way it is.
    • Increase far dot size and add a metal glare.

Also, the TGP is basically a second camera that is placed just over they ground where the TGP looks at. That's right, no extremly zoomed camera, a normal one that is placed right over the ground. That also makes tanks flicker sometimes on the TGP when the camera goes inside their model. The face that the camera is placed right where the TGP looks at makes the rendering engine switch to high levels of detail for the TGP camera. That's why you always see high quality stuff on the TGP.

And the target pod is then occluded by wings, pylons, weapons how ?

(in case that's too oblique, I think you're mistaken :) )

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you on low settings? I can spot tanks just by zooming in at 10nm. Well, i won't find any but if i know there is one i can see it.

Also, the TGP is basically a second camera that is placed just over they ground where the TGP looks at. That's right, no extremly zoomed camera, a normal one that is placed right over the ground. That also makes tanks flicker sometimes on the TGP when the camera goes inside their model. The face that the camera is placed right where the TGP looks at makes the rendering engine switch to high levels of detail for the TGP camera. That's why you always see high quality stuff on the TGP.

The only thing I have set to low is water....

The visibility of units, especially aircraft, in this series has always been a major issue for me. It is probably the most important reason why I never really got into air-air in this sim. Within our online group we even have major trouble to keep visual contact within a flight in tactically spaced formations (the new smoke effects might relax this a bit). Yes, spotting aircraft is hard and it should be so in game. But as players we are also facing technical limitations. Sims display a certain FOV of the game world on a screen, which covers a much smaller angle of our own vision. This naturally makes everything relatively smaller.

Modified labels never appealed to me due to the already mentioned reasons. Even the smallest characters are already too plainly visible and lables are unobstructable. The solution is in my oppinion a dot system as has been implemented in various other sims. This visibility of far away units is enhcanced by drawing more pixels than geometrically needed, while still being affected by the LOS limitations of the actual unit. This has worked very well for me in Il-2 or Rise of Flight, where spotting is still hard (it is by far the most important factor in air-air combat) but doable enough to visually build up situation awareness.

I predict that unless ED works on the visibility properties of their engine, air-air heavy modules depending on visual search, such as WWII up to Vietnam, will ultimately fail in the larger community.

Very well put.

I won't even consider buying any WVR-Dogfight related module until this major drawback of the DCS engine is fixed.

This should be reviewed by the developers. Please give us a short feedback that you heard our pleas.

Hey, this got a lot more attention than I thought :D Lets cross our fingers that WAGS D: is listening. But then again they can't implement everything we ask for so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't go through.

This post is protected by a pilot who has a serious lack of negotiating skills, but is absolute hell in a dogfight. If you do not belong here, please leave.

You have now been properly negotiated with.

MiG-29S Instant Action Mission Fix

Come check out and add to my list of all landmarks in DCS World!

^that works now

I don't know with setting increase spotting but i think HDR off is best to spot pixels...

It's a pity to remove special effects to increase spotting. I wish ED could improve spotting both for air contact and ground contact. We only have screens: the pixel game is boring and not realistic.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i'm no one to really talk about with regards to skills but i use the LLTV to spot stuff while staying above aroun 4000ft. i don't typically go below that hard altitude. i don't have track-ir or any other easy way to view around in the world...just my two cents...

My problem is the Georgian Oil War campaign for Su-25T. Lots os missions are with very bad weather and there is a cloud layer above 2.000 m, so you must descend to see enemies and there are lots of AAA and IR SAMs.

and they do like to hide them (in RL) so they can't be easily seen :huh: and get you if they can

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

• 1 month later...

That's because you are seeing the game's culling draw a big pixel where something should be smaller. Since the game draws what's in front first, the pixel is filled with the object and everything behind that object that could fit in the pixel is ignored. Try using AntiAliasing at the higher resolution, things will look a little blurry.

From my experience i spot contacts easier the higher the resolution.

But it's ridiculously hard to spot a contact.

And i noticed that if you zoom into an area you spot a contact that is not visible at "usual" fov.So when flying the p51 i used to zoom in slices of sky(left , up , right-up etc) to try and spot contacts and it is tiring work.

I really hope they implement the dot system that is used in other simulations because DCS WWII will be a pain in the eye without it :D.

• 5 weeks later...

Spotting Targets

I know I will garner some hate for this, but I still cannot get away from using labels to locate and destroy targets. More so the ground targets I just simply cannot see them. Half the time I can't even see them when using the labels either. Say the first mission for the SU-25t How does anyone see the ground targets? They literally blend in with the scenery. Unless your flying really low and slow I just can't seem to pick them out.

I am also running the game maxed out graphics wise at 1920x1080, would using a bigger screen or lowering my resolution to make things bigger help? How do you guys spot targets?

Unless your flying really low and slow I just can't seem to pick them out.

This is a good tactic depending on threats.

I am also running the game maxed out graphics wise at 1920x1080, would using a bigger screen or lowering my resolution to make things bigger help? How do you guys spot targets?

Bigger screens help immensely. There was a thread on this by PeterP I believe. I know when I went from 1366x768 to 1920x1280 it became much easier to track a P-51 in a dogfight.

I don't play the missions that come with the sim so I don't know what Su-25 mission you're referring to. In general, flying low, using smoke rockets, and using landmarks in the terrain will help with target spotting. Wingmen are pretty good at finding things too, so listen to them.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I have an Asus VG278HE, it is 27" 1920x1080 and 144hz, even with all settings on max I have a torrid time trying to spot things in DCS world so you are not alone. I am very much looking forward to 4k, or even 8k and the required hardware becoming affordable as that should make quite a bit of difference. Until then it will be a struggle.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I also have to use the mouse to look around as I don't have any type of tracking system which makes following targets in close A2A combat difficult sort of. Really need to invest in some type of trackr setup.

I use a 23 inch LCD computer monitor usually and again its at 1920x1080 its native res.

I've tried playing on a 32 inch LCD tv but even though the picture was much larger, even at 1920x1080 stuff just was not nearly as clear as on the 23 inch. Like you said 4k would probably make things much easier, and maybe the nevada map as well due to the desert.

I play strike fighters 2 with mods from time to time and the landscape (usually isreal/syria) is just desert and the graphics aren't quite as good as dcs so spotting tanks and targets is a cinch.

Edited by grimm862

Why not make the ground objects not get too small so that they are viewable.BOS has done this with planes where before they would dissapear onscreen unless you zoomed in all the way and now they are always a dot onscreen.

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

Why not make the ground objects not get too small so that they are viewable.BOS has done this with planes where before they would dissapear onscreen unless you zoomed in all the way and now they are always a dot onscreen.

Because it would be too easy solution. Realsim junkies don't like if virtual pilots are not blind like some kind of airborne paraolympics :lol::lol:

Dot's like in IL-2 would be good. (custom labes are not so good solution, because they won't be same for all in mp and those are visible trough clouds etc..)

'

Maybe edge will bring help to this, some kind dot/lod thing :thumbup:

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Because it would be too easy solution. Realsim junkies don't like if virtual pilots are not blind like some kind of airborne paraolympics :lol::lol:

Dot's like in IL-2 would be good. (custom labes are not so good solution, because they won't be same for all in mp and those are visible trough clouds etc..)

'

Maybe edge will bring help to this, some kind dot/lod thing :thumbup:

One can hope there mate! can't wait for EDGE! Woot! ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Guys Spotting Targets has been a problem for Humans sense Jet Fighting was created. Read A10s Over Kosovo and how they needed Binoculars to see anything down there. Even the Facs in Vietnam had to have Binocs. This isn't a fault of the Sim. it is a Human Fault we all live with. Changing things wouldn't make the Sim. Immersive, it would take away the integrity that DCS hoped you would consider a "Must Have" when deciding on a Sim. to purchase.

I guess is everyone does it, it would become the norm. Something I hope will not happen. Speaking for myself of course. But maybe an option in a latter ver. of this great and immersive Sim. we all know and love.

NateIRL Hop in here Man. I remember you talking about this subject back a few yrs. ago.

Edited by AtaliaA1

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Guys Spotting Targets has been a problem for Humans sense Jet Fighting was created. Read A10s Over Kosovo and how they needed Binoculars to see anything down there. Even the Facs in Vietnam had to have Binocs. This isn't a fault of the Sim. it is a Human Fault we all live with. Changing things wouldn't make the Sim. Immersive, it would take away the integrity that DCS hoped you would consider a "Must Have" when deciding on a Sim. to purchase.

I guess is everyone does it, it would become the norm. Something I hope will not happen. Speaking for myself of course. But maybe an option in a latter ver. of this great and immersive Sim. we all know and love.

As you do, and all others, we love this sim... So it's not cheating to use the Zoom, cause it's supposed to resemble the binoculars. :thumbup:

Qtr master clerk: "good morning sir"

2nd Lt: "good morning Cpl"

2nd Lt: "I'll need a set of Mark I eye balls...."

Qtr master clerk: "Yes Sir.... Here you go Sir...."

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control