DCS WWII: Europe 1944

Personally, I think the N.W. Europe and S.E. Britain thing has been done to death... and if it has to be done again, it really needs to be one large London to Berlin map.

Eastern Front, is currently being done (so why offer competition there... wait a bit)

Meditterranean... (Africa, Italy, Baltic, Southern Europe) hardly attempted

PTO... done before, and quite popular (but again, it needs to be a large map

True... if you have the forts, you need somewhere convincing to set out from

generic or low quality any area... wouldn't be DCS:

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hmmm how about the Crimea and Turkey areas in DCS at the moment ? "

erm... are you calling that "low quality"?

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

I should add a lower stretch goal, but wouldn't it be better as a split thing, half the current next stretch goal?

Once we reach it, we'll have a backer vote on which half to make it, the flyable Fort or Southern England.

How's that sound?

Man, that is a tough call to make. I'm leaning towards the fly thing but then again I don't want to hit end of map during my climb out. Whatever you ended up doing you're screwed any how, so, just take the moolah and run! :D

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Can't you add an easier do-able fighter like a 262 or typhoon or the earlier 190 at $150.000?

And then start another KS for the B17/english airfields?

I'd rather to playing SOMETHING early and have the rest to look forward to.

Or add another fighter as a stretch goal and have b17 as pre-ordered?

Vega 2700x /16Gb ram/480Gb SSD/1Tb Seagate/nVidia 2080/Win 10 64 bit Rift. T-flight pedals.

I should add a lower stretch goal, but wouldn't it be better as a split thing, half the current next stretch goal?

Once we reach it, we'll have a backer vote on which half to make it, the flyable Fort or Southern England.

How's that sound?

Not a easy decision for you, even a stretch goal of 1/2 may be difficult to achieve, with the amount of time left.

If it was me I'd add in a stretch goal at the $150k mark as it's probably achievable the and would protect against people lowering their pledges near the end of the KS. Not sure what realistically can be done for 50k though. A Piper Cub maybe. I guess a map extension would have to be pretty generic at that price.

Get the 100k, get on with making DCS WWII, and start another kickstarter for the B17 and Southern England?

Or, as already mentioned, start up another fundraising effort on your own site, and avoid paying kickstarter 10% or whatever it is!

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

Concentrate on the map please.Make the core game as solid as possible and then you can focus on the airplanes.People WILL buy that Flying Fortress no matter the price, given that it is developed at the DCS standards.So make sure that initial release is as solid and polished as possible.I rather have Southern England for AI B-17's than flyable Fortresses without their historical airbases.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Concentrate on the map please.Make the core game as solid as possible and then you can focus on the airplanes. People WILL buy that Flying Fortress no matter the price, given that it is developed at the DCS standards. So make sure that initial release is as solid and polished as possible.I rather have Southern England for AI B-17's than flyable Fortresses without their historical airbases.
I second that; British coastline and airfields first please.

You're already working on landscaping the Normandy coastline, so the British coastline would be easier to realize in the set timeframe.

The B-17 is a project in itself and deserves to be done properly, not in a rush for release and eating the funding of the core game.

It will sell itself easily once done. Now, if you could do the cockpit like the MiG-21Bis one (gritty, like many crews have been using her) ...

Edited by Hans-Joachim Marseille

I don't know. A B-17 with a Mig-21 cockpit. That would just look weird. :lol:

No, it's a late model with upgraded flightdeck. Look it up :D

I'd go with S. England as the next stretch goal. I can't see myself playing captain B17 on a bombing run across the channel. If anything the 'Liberator' would be more appropriate for that type of job.

Also, Tiffy please :)

Edited by chaos

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

Just give us whatever you can manage without stretching yourselves too much. I do agree with the person that mentioned we would all buy a B-17 anyway so don't rush that in the budget of this kickstarter, the mosquito might fall under that bracket also, get a nice base sim down first and give us things like that later when they will be even better for it.

Edit: Person = Hans ;)

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Man, that is a tough call to make. I'm leaning towards the fly thing but then again I don't want to hit end of map during my climb out. Whatever you ended up doing you're screwed any how, so, just take the moolah and run! :D

You're not going to hit a map end. You're going to suddenly find yourself flying over deserted langoliers terrain, and think you went back to Jane's WWII Fighters if you go down low.

Don't know which is worse.

Can't you add an easier do-able fighter like a 262 or typhoon or the earlier 190 at $150.000?

And then start another KS for the B17/english airfields?

150K is not a very realistic goal. We can hardly do anything for the extra 50K. Definitely not a map and definitely not a whole new plane. The only thing we can probably try to squeeze in for the 50K is a cockpit for the 262, and that's only because we are already doing the AI version.

I am not sure that a flyable 262 is really the aircraft that will rally the community and give us extra 50K in the remaining days.

Here's what we can do:

150K: cockpit for 262

275K: extra fighter, to be voted for by backers OR Southern England

OR

200K: extra fighter, to be voted for by backers

325K: extra fighter + (another extra fighter OR Southern England)

The B-17 would then get pushed back to 425K for the first option, or 450K for the second option.

What do you guys think?

You're not going to hit a map end. You're going to suddenly find yourself flying over deserted langoliers terrain, and think you went back to Jane's WWII Fighters if you go down low.

Don't know which is worse.

150K is not a very realistic goal. We can hardly do anything for the extra 50K. Definitely not a map and definitely not a whole new plane. The only thing we can probably try to squeeze in for the 50K is a cockpit for the 262, and that's only because we are already doing the AI version.

I am not sure that a flyable 262 is really the aircraft that will rally the community and give us extra 50K in the remaining days.

Here's what we can do:

150K: cockpit for 262

275K: extra fighter, to be voted for by backers OR Southern England

OR

200K: extra fighter, to be voted for by backers

325K: extra fighter + (another extra fighter OR Southern England)

The B-17 would then get pushed back to 425K for the first option, or 450K for the second option.

What do you guys think?

I agree that the B17 would be brought by alot of people, although a nice gesture I think something like that should really be kept for the latter stages of when you want to sell products. Dont give all your aces away during a KS programme ;)

Are you doing an AFM for the 262 anyway? or would it be flyable with SFM for the extra $50k target? If the former I would say thats a good target to put in and more likely to be achieved within the time thats left.

Thats where my vote would go, a flyable 262 over a potentional $100k needed for another fighter.

But whatever you decide you should do it quickly :pilotfly:

What do I think?

I would say forget about the 262 cockpit until you get enough room to do an expansion which covers the 262 going into active service with the Lufwaffe (high altitude recce plane hunting or something like that)

Within that same reasoning I would say forget about Southern England as well. Wait until you have some more room for that.

Finally, as far as other fighters go; I would hope for a Typhoon, but, planes like the Me 109G and FW 190A also have a place in what you're intending to design and build.

The clue's in the title surely. DCS WWII: Europe 1944 with Europe being the most important bit. Ilya we're going to need a much bigger map very quickly. Make the planes, people will buy them. The biggest selling point for the project will be the ambition cleary stated to create a map big enough for a B17. All of northern Europe.

But we do not know if a) this is technically possible b) if it is, could the map be grown and terrain extended by updates? If yes to that, then begin by populating the big map with stuff visible from 20 000ft, landmarks for navigation and targets. Details restricted to airfields and possibly targets initially. Could a map SDK be released so that the community could help? (some people like that kind of thing!)

Basically until you or someone else explains just what Edge is capable of then asking us is pointless.

However you see this sim developing the elephant in the room is a map big enough for an aeroplane that can stay airborne for 9hrs and go to Berlin and return to base in England. Be ambitious, think big. Short term go with Southern England and airfields then extend Normandy east along the coast of France into Belgium then Holland then Germany and then south into the Ruhr and keep going it'll be an awsome prospect for us the punters. Tell us how it can be done. Give us a time line, a roadmap even. The bigger the map the more scenarios become possible, more aircraft needed etc,. Night bombing over Germany? Has anyone ever done it in a sim?

We will have five decent aircraft to start with, so a map with enough bases for both sides is the priority. Air starts are a non-starter for me. That said I suppose that there will be enough area on the Normandy map for Allied and Axis airfields, but airfields in Southern England, like Tangmere, Warmwell, and Hawkinge would make a lot more sense. Create the B17 along with expanding the map farther north where the B17 airfields were, after you have a successful start. I have little interest in the 262, or any other jet for that matter.

Given that we are 5% from base goal, I'm interested in how this will be implemented. Are we expecting everything released at once after +1 year wait or things will trickle slowly? Like release beta of an aircraft while terrain is developed? Please mention some ideas so we can have expectations.