Community A-4E

just thinking of the Combo of NTTR map + F14 + Community A4 Mod in Multiplayer gives me goosebumps

missing the times where I was young kid , where I had enough time for all this Flight Sim awesomeness to come :-)

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

So since A4 is quite mature now, is there a list of stuff to be done that's left?

I honestly thought it would be more basic than what you have achieved when you started. I'm wondering if you found the exact finish line in this long process where you can say, "This is everything we think we can do and we are there". Because lets face it, it probably surpassed your expectations as well as ours in complexity?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

^^^I'm curious about this too.

The A-4 was legendary in its simplicity, low cost, and relatively small size.

Are we there yet?

Not yet, but we all eagerly hope for a dev update in the next days... last one was given around 30th June ..

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

So since A4 is quite mature now, is there a list of stuff to be done that's left?

I honestly thought it would be more basic than what you have achieved when you started. I'm wondering if you found the exact finish line in this long process where you can say, "This is everything we think we can do and we are there". Because lets face it, it probably surpassed your expectations as well as ours in complexity?

If you go back to look at the first few original updates in 2016 and Gospadins videos on youtube, you'll realise this project was not basic from the start and the team had very clearly set a very high bar for themselves.

The same goes to the Buccaneer and Tu22 Troika mod, where in reality despite being called a 'mod' are almost as good as the full modules in terms of detail. Of course they might not be as flash as the full mods by studios, its close.

Community A-4E: July 2017 Update

Hi everyone!

Been a slow summer so far, with more vacations, one team member in OshKosh, one team member traveling Europe with his band, and me just being lazy.

Cockpit unwrap still continues, slowly but surely. Work is still in progress to improve cockpit lighting to work better in the new engine. Lastly, what we can show, is finishing out a few more weapon systems.

We've implemented 2 additional cluster dispensers, in addition to the CBU-2/A, which means 3 different cluster setups will be available:

• CBU-1/A: SUU-7 dispenser with 509 BLU-4/B anti-personnel bomblets
  • CBU-2/A: SUU-7 dispenser with 360 BLU-3/B fragmentation bomblets
  • CBU-2B/A: SUU-7 dispenser with 409 BLU-3/B fragmentation bomblets

These may be carried individually or in pairs on the inboard wing pylons, stations 2 and 4.

New this month, the bomblets have (finally) received an unwrap and animation:

BLU-3/B "pineapple"

First, the BLU-3/B, known as the "pineapple," is a 1.75 lb fragmentation bomblet containing 0.35 lb of RDX explosive surrounded by 255 steel pellets. It measures 2.75" in diameter and is 3.75" long.

Vanes Closed:

zM4U08k.png

Vanes Extended:

LyfWmGA.png

Another angle:

0zZnkdQ.png

BLU-4/B

The second is the BLU-4/B. It is a 1.2 lb anti-personnel bomblet. Upon release, the drag vanes spread out to ensure it strikes bottom-first. This triggers a small charge which propels the fragmentation unit into the air to a height of about 10 feet, where it then explodes. This bomblet contains 0.18 lb of RDX. The BLU-4/B is about 5" long and 2.75" in diameter.

Vanes Closed:

wkrjEk2.png

Vanes Extended:

XLflVZA.png

View of the fragmentation unit surface:

sEBMOct.png

Beyond just the modeling, it took a bit of code work to figure out the "right" way to mount multiple cluster dispensers on the wing pylons, while maintaining some of the adaptive loadout code we use.

Putting it all together, here's a video of our first test of the CBU-2B/A in a racked pairs configuration (4 dispensers for a total of 1636 bomblets).

h_DoBDaKERc

Hope everyone is having a great summer!

--gos and the team

Edited by gospadin
  • Like 2

I know a lot of folks have asked over the last year, so figured I would publish the list of to-be-included liveries.

Our goal in creating this list was first, to include those squadrons that flew the A-4E from the deck of the CV-34 Oriskany in Vietnam. Second, to include the USMC squadrons based at Chu Lai that used the A-4E during the same period. Third, add some training squadrons that might be seen in/near NTTR.

With that, we came up with the following list:

United States Navy:

• VA-55 Warhorses
  • VA-163 Saints
  • VA-195 Dambusters
  • VC-7 Tallyhoers
  • NFWS Gray
  • NFWS Green

United States Marine Corps:

• VMA-121 Green Knights
  • VMA-131 Diamondbacks
  • VMA-211 Avengers
  • VMA-311 Tomcats
  • Pacific Missile Test Center

and, of course, a fictional Community A-4 livery, inspired by the paint job of the last A-4 manufactured.

With all the normal caveats of the list being subject to change, the above is our current "included" list. Note that the textures are right around 100 MB zipped, so we may need to distribute the mod in 2 parts if we use ED's servers.

--gos

PS: plusnine has his own livery pack he's planning to distribute at release, and we'll also make the photoshop template available.

many Thanks for the update...

Looking good !

Flight model doesn't look as SFM to me :)