Which do you prefer, modern or historical airframes?

blackbelter

Which do you prefer, modern or historical airframes?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, modern or historical airframes?

• Modern (airframes designed after 70's)
    • Historical (airframes designed after 70's)
    • Indifferent.

Indifferent. I like aircraft.

***EDIT*** After reading the choices again I'm not sure why you would want to exclude aircraft built in the 70's. The Tomcat is one of my all time favorites and many people like the F-15, F-16 and F/A-18 as well. That leads me to the conclusion that you possibly mean to say historical from 1903 to 1969 and Modern from 1970 to present.

Edited by Vampyre

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Indifferent mostly, though with an inclination towards historical.

Scarcity of resources are in the eye of beholder, besides ED themselves, there are many actively developing studios, some developing many aircraft at once :)

If you look at oncoming modules, we have Eurofighter Typhoon and F/A-18C coming up, and while much more silent F/A-18E and Mirage 2000C are in the works too, all of which I eagerly and enhusiastically wait. Many upcoming combat capable trainers can be counted more or less modern too :). So it is not like "nobody is making modern aricraft".

This scarcity of resources comes off more like "let's have everybody make only modern aircraft and nobody 'waste' time on vintage junk" kind of attitude to my ears, to which I object for various reasons :) :

- There are people (including myself) who are very much interested in older craft, most of which almost never got any simulation, and even if they did, it certainly was not to the level expected in DCS branded products. Dare I say, although I certainly like modern stuff too, I actually prefer 40s-80s aircraft simulations to more modern ones. For example, I am very much joyful seeing an A-4 simulation finally on the horizon, an aircraft I was always interested in.

- Developers do stuff they have information available on, are confident in their ability to pull off, and are interested in.

- Let's be honest, currently we don't have many options to fly in DCS. Modules are coming, many are just under the doorway already. But we see it takes many years to develop flight simulation products, especially to the level DCS brand implies. The more complex aircraft, the more time it takes, exponentially so... Simpler aircraft of old will allow skies of DCS to be populated sooner than later ;)

- Moving from the last reason, I'd like to expand on the fact of difficulty providing accuracy DCS title demans on modern systems which are complex AND classified. Honestly, I find F-22 and F-35 in DCS to be pipe dreams for example. I'm pretty sure operation and capabilities of their systems and cockpit instruments won't be made available to a developer in even a remotely accurate fashion. Surely they can be made with a quite decent flight model but, systems performance would only be somewhat more realistic than plethora of late 90s F-22 "sims" ;)

- Like I said earlier, production of older aircraft does not stop newer aircraft from being produced.

No prioritization is needed in my opinion. It is going quite fine. Would I not love to see Su-30 or 35 or 34 ? I'd buy two copies day one!! But I just don't see them happening unless most of it's systems and avionics done in a "invented" or "guesstimated" fashion, not to mention probability of Russian authorities going all grumpy on the idea of public simulation of their most current platforms :(. Still, I'll fly F-18 and Eurofighter like crazy when they come.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

After reading the choices again I'm not sure why you would want to exclude aircraft built in the 70's. The Tomcat is one of my all time favorites and many people like the F-15, F-16 and F/A-18 as well. That leads me to the conclusion that you possibly mean to say historical from 1903 to 1969 and Modern from 1970 to present.

You are right. But I can't edit the options...

I would like to change the options to

Modern: Aircrafts after and including F-14

Historical: Aircrafts before F-14

Indifferent.

Can the mods help me here? Thanks.

If it flies, I buys

nice :D

I take 3rd option... MiG-21 I must have, MiG-23 I must have, MiG-27 I must have, F-5 I must have.... the list goes on... and all of them are old airframes

No longer active in DCS...

I'd prefer the devs to work on some more Vietnam era airframes, such as the F-4E, A-6, A-4, A-1, MiG-19, Ah-1, etc...

DCS: F-4E really needs to be a thing!!!!!!

Aircraft: A-10C, Ka-50, UH-1H, MiG-21, F-15C, Su-27, MiG-29, A-10A, Su-25, Su-25T, TF-51

I'd prefer the devs to work on some more Vietnam era airframes, such as the F-4E, A-6, A-4, A-1, MiG-19, Ah-1, etc...
VEAO is working on the A-4. Belsimtek of course is working on the Ah-1. Doesn't look good for the F-4 though. We definitely need a better external model for that one though.

Why not? ED must hear us. :D

Yeah, but starting yet another "Modern or Historic plane poll" isnt gonna change anything.

What do you think is gonna happen? they are gonna see the poll and scrap projects?.

lol, Not Gonna Happen.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Modern for sure for me.

Rig: SimLab P1X Chassis | Tianhang Base PRO + Tianhang F-16 Grip w/ OTTO Buttons | Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + OTTO switches and buttons | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper

Tactile: G-Belt | 2x BK LFE + 1x BK Concert | 2x TST-429 | 1x BST-300EX | 2x BST-1 | 6x 40W Exciters | 2x NX3000D | 2x EPQ304

PC/VR: Somnium VR1 Visionary | 4090 | 12700K

If ED, or perhaps VEAO ;), were to produce a Sopwith Dolphin. I would by it.

I like all sorts of aircraft.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Your poll is extremly subjective and created so that people will be automatically oriented to answer "Modern". Human psychology on its best work!

At least change that "Indiferent" with "Both"

Not fair at all trying to convince others to adapt your personal tastes !!!!!

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Bring on the Wright Brother's Wright Flyer II :p

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I can't seem to edit the poll options. By historical I meant airframes designed before 70's.

yep, a moderator should edit your poll question

voted for modern airframes

however f-4 phantom, f-105 thunderchief, a-6 intruder and f-111 aardvark would be awesome

sign-pic4.jpg

Yeah, but starting yet another "Modern or Historic plane poll" isnt gonna change anything.

What do you think is gonna happen? they are gonna see the poll and scrap projects?.

lol, Not Gonna Happen.

I never wanted ED to scrap their current projects altogether. As you and other mods have repeatedly stated, it is not right for us customers to dictate what ED should do. But do you think it is wise to totally ignore the general opinion of the customers (as reflected in polls such as this one)? Good luck with that business model.

Nothing will be changed even IF the public opinion disagrees with what is being developed? Again, good luck with that business model...

By the way, I don't recall the same poll being held in other threads. I searched. All I found in other polls is which SPECIFIC aircraft the simmers want. That is however a totally different question.

Your poll is extremly subjective and created so that people will be automatically oriented to answer "Modern". Human psychology on its best work!

At least change that "Indiferent" with "Both"

Not fair at all trying to convince others to adapt your personal tastes !!!!!

:D If you were right, I never knew I was this good at psychology. Anyway, it is not my intention to 'seduce' people to choose whichever option. I wanted to see the fraction of simmers, not to 'seduce' ED to believe what I believed to bee true. Except the undesired mistake in my typing, I don't see how my way of wording is biased...

If you have read the statements in my first post, you'll see that 'indifferent' fits to be an answer, while 'both' simply doesn't make sense...

Edited by blackbelter

I'd looooove for there to be a fully featured DCS: Vietnam 196X (not sure which year to choose!)

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals