The All Things Combined Past Release Date Discussions

statrekmike

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am serious. For a person who has waited and invested in this module, everything I say on this is serious. They have failed to meet numerous targets that they themselves have set and I'm pretty fed up with all this shit. If they say it will be released on a particular version, they should make sure it is released on that version. I don't care about any excuses or external factors and other shit. Put yourself in my shoes and see how it feels. My patience is running thin with these guys and I for one will never trust any third party any more. This is just ridiculous.

Sums up everything that is bad about this forum. There are 2 parties involved in this and every other 3rd party release. You think Leatherneck are the ones deciding the release number of any iteration of DCS World?

What difference does the number at the bottom corner of the start up screen make in the overall scheme of things?

Guys... relax... I also really hate to, what appears to be, endlessly waiting for things... but please try to understand also that the developer wants it released also, he does not get paid until they starts selling, and selling means releasing.

Also, setting target is not the same as giving release date. Setting target is a goal they want to achieve, but this is not always achievable, hence their targets are not set, this is nothing unusual.

Another things complicates 3rd party releases is they kind of depend on ED for some thing, one of them being, they will sell the MIG-21 module primarily on ED website (which I think is a good thing - everything is in one place - ED website is a one-stop-shop)

So just cut them some slack, I am sure if you were in their shoes you would be feeling the heat you are directing towards them, and I am sure you wouldn't like it.

I think if I was a developer, I would not be making any claims, setting no targets, and instead just announce when things are already final.

• Like 2

No longer active in DCS...

It would be awesome if Wags starts making his tutorial vids using the Nevada map! Except, I think the reason he doesn't is because people would be too busy drooling at the scenery and not paying attention!

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Also, setting target is not the same as giving release date. Setting target is a goal they want to achieve, but this is not always achievable, hence their targets are not set, this is nothing unusual.

Another things complicates 3rd party releases is they kind of depend on ED for some thing, one of them being, they will sell the MIG-21 module primarily on ED website (which I think is a good thing - everything is in one place - ED website is a one-stop-shop)

So just cut them some slack, I am sure if you were in their shoes you would be feeling the heat you are directing towards them, and I am sure you wouldn't like it.

I understand it from their point of view too Kuky. If this happens once or twice, one can say okay, they tried and they missed it, okay, but giving multiple targets and not delivering on it on multiple occassions is just bad business. How can we trust someone like that?

I think if I was a developer, I would not be making any claims, setting no targets, and instead just announce when things are already final.

I wish they do this rather than getting our hopes up and then disappointing.

• Like 1

Well both ways have their merits and problems. Say nothing, and you wont get caught having made incorrect "promises". On the other hand a lot of people, like me, hate to be left out of the loop, have no idea whats going on and in general being ignored by a developer and because of that I like how LN is continously keeping contact with their "audience" and trying to keep them informed.

Now of course, this has also lead to some things that was said did not quite come true just yet. While this is of course regrettable, one would be well advised to remember that LN does not run this show, it's all ED and THEY are the ones that decides when something is released. Unfortunately, as a software programmer, I know all too well what being subject to another party's time table can do for your own production, and for that reason I cannot blame LN in any way for what most likely is not really a fault on their part.

• Like 1

I have no idea what just transpired in this thread.

Isn't it obvious that ED simply, for organisations sake, upped the number to 1.2.10 instead of keeping it as a 1.2.9 point release?

I really do think we'll need to start writing our posts in legalese.

Insanity.

I need some more coffee..

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Hope this answers your question.

Really?

Wanna see it released after two-week vacation. ;)

signature shows my current status waiting 4 mig-21bis

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

yeah, Cuz High Fidelity Modules were released in the first 8 months FSX was out.... (/end sarcasm)

(Everything below uses FSX as a base, because a Majority of 3rd Parties are coming from FSX to DCS or doing Both (ie RAZBAM).

-Some of these Studios still use FSX as their Primary Income,

-Some still have Full-Time Jobs/Families and are Developing for DCS using Free time.

-Most 3rd Parties are working from home, Teams are spread across/limited to multiple regions.

This is the problem: People are expecting everything to just poof and Appear out of thin air in a matter of a few months.

(OK, the WWII Stuff maybe, but the Newer Stuff with Adv. Avionics, No way).

-You really think it's as simple as open 3d model, tweak for DCS from FSX Setup, export, change some data in a LUA and boom it's done?.

Well, it's not. The 3d Model itself needs to have several things done Geometry, Textures, and Animations wise.

-DCS Systems Development is significantly more complicated than FSX, not to mention it's new to every 3rd Party/Partner. (So basically they are learning as they go and build up their code/script database etc.) Pretty much nothing Systems Coding Wise is even port-able or able to be transferred to DCS, so Coders have to start re-writing systems from the ground up.

-The DCS Engine is constantly evolving, Graphically, Scripting, Systems, and Features being added to aid in 3rd Party/Partner Modules, things being changed, a new GFX Engine coming.

This has pros and cons, the Pros are obvious, New features etc.

The cons are obvious, with a changing code, things sometimes break/don't work with new builds, and development time is used to fix those issues.

-FSX's Code hasn't changed since 2007. Outside of TacPack Integration to existing Products, the engine and development for it hasn't changed in 7 years. Even Going to P3D, it's not as big as a jump, because it's still running the Microsoft ESP Suite.

Even still, there are Developer Suites for FSX that come with Pre-Coded Systems and Flight Model Setups,

Making FM/Systems development almost Drag and Drop.

-While you're at it, ask VRS How long it took them to develop the Super Bug and the TacPack Suites.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

yeah, Cuz High Fidelity Modules were released in the first 8 months FSX was out....

(Everything below uses FSX as a base, because a Majority of 3rd Parties are coming from FSX to DCS or doing Both (ie RAZBAM).

-Some of these Studios still use FSX as their Primary Income,

-Some still have Full-Time Jobs/Families and are Developing for DCS using Free time.

This is the problem, people are expecting everything to just poof and Appear out of thin air in a matter of a few months. (OK, the WWII Stuff maybe, but the Newer Stuff with Adv. Avionics, No way).

You really think it's as simple as open 3d model, tweak for DCS from FSX Setup, export, change some data in a LUA and boom it's done?.

Well, it's not. The 3d Model itself needs to have several things done Geometry, Textures, and Animations wise.

DCS Systems Development is significantly more complicated than FSX, not to mention it's new to every 3rd Party/Partner. (So basically they are learning as they go and build up their code/script database etc.) Pretty much nothing Systems Coding Wise is even port-able or able to be transferred to DCS, so Coders have to start re-writing systems from the ground up.

The DCS Engine is constantly evolving, Graphically, Scripting, Systems, and Features being added to aid in 3rd Party/Partner Modules, things being changed, a new GFX Engine coming.

This has pros and cons, the Pros are obvious, New features etc.

The cons are obvious, with a changing code, things sometimes break/don't work with new builds, and development time is used to fix those issues.

FSX's Code hasn't changed since 2007. Outside of TacPack Integration to existing Products, the engine and development for it hasn't changed in 7 years. Even Going to P3D, it's not as big as a jump, because it's still running the Microsoft ESP Suite.

Save your breath Skate.. This has all been explained ad nauseaum over many threads over several years by now...

Those that get it, get it..

Those that don't...

Won't..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Save your breath Skate.. This has all been explained ad nauseaum over many threads over several years by now...

Those that get it, get it..

Those that don't...

Won't..

I vent just like everyone else :music_whistling:

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I do sometimes wonder how some people on this forum are able to play DCS given their faculties and attitudes.

It's impressive on a weird level.

Try to understand that not everyone is eternaly angry at ED or 3rd partys just because they point out flaws. It can always be better!

I think its safe to say everyone who bothers the time to make it here and write about it has a certain attachment to DCS. That doesnt mean DCS is absolutly flawless tho...

P.S.: I find the opposite weird on the same level.

Uhm....I've been testing for VEAO for over a year and I can promise you they are capable. Glad you're slandering company's you know nothing about.

......and VEAO has a laundry list of aircraft it's supposedly going to release and little indication it's capable of doing so.

Uh, let's go ahead and stop the bickering.

Moderating with a large workload this weekend is no fun. :P

There's good news and stuff coming. First few promo copies are out, more going out on Monday. Things are moving rapidly.

When we are ready for a consolidated update, we will make one.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

BTW, I dont take Sassing/Harassing Testers Lightly, ED Testers or 3rd party Testers,

So tread lightly on that front,

These valued members are working to provide you with a better overall experience, their work is priceless.

Uh, let's go ahead and stop the bickering.

Moderating with a large workload this weekend is no fun. :P

There's good news and stuff coming. First few promo copies are out, more going out on Monday. Things are moving rapidly.

When we are ready for a consolidated update, we will make one.

Mach 2 i hope! :D

Edited by ericoh