Leatherneck new facebook image/picture

NORTHMAN

A6M, It will against with many latest WWII fighter in DCS, I don't think it has enough horse power and armor to fight to them...

pony, dora, K4 and lighting, each of them has an engine nearly 2000hp, but A6M only has half of theirs. Also it doesn't have pilot armor and self-sealing fuel tank, that will become the most horrible aircraft in the DCS. Pilot will be killed easily and the plane is also easily on fire, they will become burning cherry over the Black sea, just like history in the Great Mariana.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think having an A6M would be a bad thing. It was an iconic aircraft and some people always excel with an underdog aircraft by making use of it's strength (getting people to engage in turning fights in the case of the zero probably). It's just guesses anyway. We could get a Ki or something too. Or maybe none of the above.

The Japanese flag could mean anything from a Ki-10 to an F-35. I do wish they'd do a MiG-23 instead of anything WW2 though. The WW2 stuff really doesn't have a place in DCS until ED releases some sort of WW2 pack that includes some basic ground, naval and AI air units. All the WW2 planes are just hanger queens atm and any new ones by LNS are going to suffer the same fate. Yes they are relatively quick and easy to make, but they are also a waste of time imho. I will not buy them. I say that as someone who's favorite period of aviation is WW2 and specifically the Pacific.

It's possible to do WWII missions. It's not 100%, but for instance I set up a depot with a couple truck convoys unloading supplies and placing them on a train, put down a station, crossing, couple guard towers... Put down a few ZU-23 set their ROE to not engage and use the Flak script for defense. When attack radio in FW's to fight. It's a little out of the way from the cities so they're not too immersion breaking.... it works and is easy to translate when we get a proper map... ideal? no. But hardly bad enough to have to not use the aircraft.

At first I was a bit like "yeah cool aircraft but... meh... not among my favorites" for Tomcat but, the more I think about the possibility, and more I read, it is growing more on me. And that's just me, obviously it is a dream for many others. Especially if a both air to ground and air to air capable Tomcat would be possible, I'd just love it indeed.

On the side of other 2 of 3 modules;

I still think Hellcat is more likely and cockpit hint in facebook does remind it's cockpit too. AHellcat or Corsair though, both are great for either air combat or ground attack. Both are interesting as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't think Pacific would be touched on, I was hoping at first LN would do Pacific, but then I have started to think they would be focused more on Cold War (which is just as fine! :)). But now, it seems they intent to be so awesome that they will handle both! ;)

Regarding what Japanese aircraft could tackle Corsair, well it beats me how did they manage that but, apparently Japanese pilots in Zeros and Oscars did get some victories even on Corsair, not saying they are good matches or anything though, Hellcat and Corsair are thougher, bite better, dive better, roll quicker, and are faster. Things going for A6M and Ki-43 are great turning capability, great low speed handling and great climbing (though when you are so much slower, what good a superior climb rate can do?).

Raiden may be somewhat of a better match, Hayate and Shiden would be the best matches to a Corsair, infact I think Ki-84 can duke it out with Mustang, Dora and Kurfüst too. There may also be rare birds like Ki-61 and Ki-100 but I don't think they would be likely for a module.

I like Japanese warbirds quite a lot actually, and would love to see any of them, for some reason I am not much of a fan for Shiden even though it is one of the better Axis fighters, but that would be very nice too, and would have a better chance against European theater birds than all but Hayate.

Still, possiblity remains that Imperial Japanese flag is a homage to Sundowners squadron, and 3rd aircraft may instead be the MiG-23 or something entirely other. But if Tomcat rumors are true, a lot of swing-wing flight model development would translate between eachother. I would be quite fine and happy with this too, but to be honest, in this case my first choice would be a more complete set for Pacific with a plane from each side.

Whichever of above happen, F-14 + 2 Pacific birds or F-14 + US Pacific bird + MiG-23, I would be very happy with any of these possibilities :)

Of course, all of these may well be nonsense and we may have no idea what so ever about next modules too :D

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I'm not sure if this has been pointed out elsewhere, however in an interview with Leatherneck the final answer sparks interest (here) A teaser is given, possibly referring to a F14?

Currently, however, all of our modules are fixed-wing. ( well, kind of.. ;))

Edited by StevenMANGOS

seems to me like people are picking what would be the "one" good aircraft to "match" some other aircraft

that's "poor dad" thinking

c'mon - think big! i hope they build'em ALL!

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Carb Air Temp" You can barely make it out on the plackard in the high contrast altered screenshot.

It's a Corsair. It's not the F4U-4, or the F4U-5 (they didn't have that plackard front and center, as far as I know).

So that leaves F4U-1, F4U-1A Early, F4U-1A Late, F4U-1D, or F4U-1C, not to mention other corsairs built by different manufacturers.

Signed,

-A Corsair fanboy.

• Like 1

:smilewink: You are really really outstanding and intelligent, dude. If we have time machine, you should be instructor of IJN and tell them how to win the match. That great rich dad thinking made 5000 pilot feed fish in pacific and they became human guide cruiser missile at the last. In that way, we should have some large target like Saratoga in dcs. Maybe the programmer can use some key to let the pilot shout out "てんのうへいか,ばんざい!“, then bomb his zero, that will be more realistic and awesome. :thumbup: And I still remember my friend used a10 and p51 to fight each other before, no more bird could be chose, that's really fun. :joystick:

When i saw that new picture and post the news here, my hope was '' some crazy dude will find something, now i go sleeping''. you guys are awesome!

Ho and did you know that. F4U saw service against mig-15 into korea! and american pilot can claim wins. Funny fact.... US use it as bomber. lol!

Every plane from leatherneck = sorry honey, I use paypal... again!

Prend ton temps mais fait ca vite :cold:... LG34''21:9 Asus 23''monitors Intel i7-4590 EVGA 1070 Superclocked Gskills 4x4G RAM Fatal1ty AsRock Z97 killer motherboard in a HAF black box with 4 CH products plug in and logitech G510, F310, M510 and M570 plus trackIR 5!

Imperial army flag, not Japan marine flag. Both are the same yet the "marine" version is offset to one side while the ground imperial (not JGSDF) is centered. The difference is minimal but allows the SDF ships to carry the naval flag, while the "centered" rising sun is forbidden with the interdiction of the imperial army.

However unsure that can be added to speculation since it isn't a well known fact.

So the aircraft are probably going to be F-14, F-4U, and an A-6M Zero.

all of which need carrier ops and new carrier models, soo... does this mean EDGE is coming very soon???

DCS: F-4E really needs to be a thing!!!!!!

Aircraft: A-10C, Ka-50, UH-1H, MiG-21, F-15C, Su-27, MiG-29, A-10A, Su-25, Su-25T, TF-51

• ED Team

all of which need carrier ops and new carrier models, soo... does this mean EDGE is coming very soon???

What does anything LN does have to do with EDGE release? :D

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

all of which need carrier ops and new carrier models,

All have been used successfully by land-based units. ;) And the vast majority of F-14 kills were done by land-based Iranian units .

Edited by emg

Back when Rudel was doing the streaming prior to MiG-21 release, didn't someone point out that he had a DCS style icon on his desktop that had an A6M or other such Japanese plane on the icon? If my memory hasn't failed me on that, with that and the flag in the teaser I'd say some type of WWII Japanese fighter as one of the three is a given.

A6M, It will against with many latest WWII fighter in DCS, I don't think it has enough horse power and armor to fight to them...

pony, dora, K4 and lighting, each of them has an engine nearly 2000hp, but A6M only has half of theirs. Also it doesn't have pilot armor and self-sealing fuel tank, that will become the most horrible aircraft in the DCS. Pilot will be killed easily and the plane is also easily on fire, they will become burning cherry over the Black sea, just like history in the Great Mariana.

Since Japanese fighters have never been my forte I had to pull this off Wikipedia. If LN is continuing with the trend of very late war fighters they could always make a very late war Zero assuming they can get enough info for it:

A6M6c Type 0 Model 53c This was similar to the A6M5c, but with self-sealing wing tanks and a Nakajima Sakae 31a engine featuring water-methanol engine boost.

Granted this may not have been a common opponent to face in the PTO, but then none of the German aircraft we have were a common opponent in the ETO from what I hear. Even if the LN Zero is a mid-war variant, if they are making a Corsair then I don't think it would be a massive issue. Not to mention VEAO is making a P-40, so I think we could end up sticking with PTO aircraft that are of similar performance. Obviously some would take it up against the Dora/K4/P-51D but that would be their choice/problem.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Back when Rudel was doing the streaming prior to MiG-21 release, didn't someone point out that he had a DCS style icon on his desktop that had an A6M or other such Japanese plane on the icon? If my memory hasn't failed me on that, with that and the flag in the teaser I'd say some type of WWII Japanese fighter as one of the three is a given.

Since Japanese fighters have never been my forte I had to pull this off Wikipedia. If LN is continuing with the trend of very late war fighters they could always make a very late war Zero assuming they can get enough info for it:

A6M6c Type 0 Model 53c This was similar to the A6M5c, but with self-sealing wing tanks and a Nakajima Sakae 31a engine featuring water-methanol engine boost.

Granted this may not have been a common opponent to face in the PTO, but then none of the German aircraft we have were a common opponent in the ETO from what I hear. Even if the LN Zero is a mid-war variant, if they are making a Corsair then I don't think it would be a massive issue. Not to mention VEAO is making a P-40, so I think we could end up sticking with PTO aircraft that are of similar performance. Obviously some would take it up against the Dora/K4/P-51D but that would be their choice/problem.

I remember seeing the icon but the plane looked a lot more like a J2M Raiden to me.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Hopefully drhyd's find is the correct explanation. I'd really hate for LNS to waste their time developing a WW2 Japanese plane. I'd love to have the N1K2, Ki-61, Ki-84 and Ki-100 but not until we have some AI units to make a proper scenario. Trying to strafe a Shilka in a Zero really doesn't interest me and neither does repeatedly strafing unarmed trucks. We need AI bombers and period appropriate tanks, AAA and ships. Without those, there just isn't a point in anything prior to 1950. Might as well go play FSX or X-plane if all you want to do is touch and goes. The point of DCS is reasonably realistic combat.

I'll say it again. There is a Flak script available. It's not too shabby and a lot more scalable, from easy to insanely difficult, than the existing AI settings permit. Place a Zu-23, set ROE to don't engage and set up the script. Instant 88. Set up as many or as few as you want. Individual or batteries, etc.

You know maps are coming, right? You know there are workarounds available until then, right? You build a map and there are no plains no point. You build planes and no map no point. You build a plane without a rival and there is no point. You realize something has to come first, right?