DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

I dont know much about the Viggen... Anyone know of an interesting documentary about this plane so I can get more familiar with it?

only in swedish pretty much.

Or wiki.

Or the entirety of this thread.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

I dont know much about the Viggen... Anyone know of an interesting documentary about this plane so I can get more familiar with it?

None in English that i know of sadly.

Though Googeling can get you some way when it comes to gathering info in English.

But i (and others here) would be more then happy to answer any questions you might have about it.

So ask away either on this thread or send me a PM and i would be more then happy to help.

Me and the other Viggen Nerds on this forum are more then happy to proselytize on the subject of the Viggen ^^

And the AJS 37 in particular as that is what we are getting in DCS.

The threethousand-andsomething posts longs massive Viggen thread here is probably the best English source available on this bird :D.

That's probably true. I don't think there is any other single public place in the world were more info (in english) is available about the Viggen :D

The problem is just to find anything in this thread :noexpression:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

For those of you that did not have the possibility to watch the livestream and/or requested a recording of the livestream (all credits to YT user Rlaxox for the upload), here it is in its entirety.

IF YOU WHISH NO SPOILERS OF THE CONTENT OF THE STREAM BEFOREHAND, DO NOT READ THE TEXT UNDER THE LINK!

Edited by Pizzasalladland

That's probably true. I don't think there is any other single public place in the world were more info (in english) is available about the Viggen :D

The problem is just to find anything in this thread :noexpression:

At this point, I'd say it's easier to learn Swedish and hit the actual manual :D

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

A little fun thing i noticed. By looking at the pictures as well as the video the Viggen displayed has the tail number 38. By using the wiki-link that has been posted here before (https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_%C3%B6ver_Saab_37_Viggen list of all viggens) i could identify it as ID number 37038, taken into service 18th of oct 1973, stationed at F6 and F7 wings, and crashed 10km North of Gällivare (northern Sweden) 8th of sep 1982. Ironically, therefore it wasn't upgraded from AJ to AJS.

I dont mind that minor error tho, this evening was really magical to me, and i most say, that it has been an honor to follow this tread for almost a year now, and i am really proud to have waited this long with all of you, you are really something special! Thanks!

Since there is no squadron number on the nose, it also can be 37105... ;-)

A little fun thing i noticed. By looking at the pictures as well as the video the Viggen displayed has the tail number 38. By using the wiki-link that has been posted here before (https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_%C3%B6ver_Saab_37_Viggen list of all viggens) i could identify it as ID number 37038, taken into service 18th of oct 1973, stationed at F6 and F7 wings, and crashed 10km North of Gällivare (northern Sweden) 8th of sep 1982. Ironically, therefore it wasn't upgraded from AJ to AJS.

I dont mind that minor error tho, this evening was really magical to me, and i most say, that it has been an honor to follow this tread for almost a year now, and i am really proud to have waited this long with all of you, you are really something special! Thanks!

How (s)low can you go

One question, with the Bk90, will be able to attack SAM sites ? I saw it had a range of 20km at 50m at 0.95 Mach, could the range improve at mor alt?

Found this video

nonono not 20km.

7-8km at 50m agl. 0.85 mach.

Swedish variant should not be released higher then 500m due to radar altimeter.

But yes most systems can be engaged with a popup attack with that weapon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

One question, with the Bk90, will be able to attack SAM sites ? I saw it had a range of 20km at 50m at 0.95 Mach, could the range improve at mor alt?

Found this video

If you have the target location then yes.

You need to either have the target coordinates before hand and insert them to have the weapons know where to go.

Or work together with a Jtac or another aircraft with the ability to Pinpoint target Coordinates (A-10C with targeting pod for example).

You can also use the Radar to select an area and feed the coordinates to the weapon (atleast that is what i have gathered)

but since the radar is not optimized to see small targets (Tanks,vehicles or even small buildings) it will be trickier and it could need some skill to get good at it (will have to see how it plays out ingame).

But the best tactic would probably be getting the coordinates beforehand (if they are fixed and known defences) or getting the data from another aircraft or a Jtac that way you can simply program the weapons fly in at a very low altitude 10-100m which would make it hard for most air defences to engage you at range and then do a high speed release once in range at a slight angle (so you dont have to close to much to the target) and leave at the same low altitude until beyond sam range.

This technique should be usable even against more advanced systems as Tor unless the terrain is 100% flat.

One could also try to use the Maverick though that would likely require you to get even closer (and you would also need to visually find the target instead of just following nav / targeting cues).

the BK90 is not gonna be a god weapon but it should be interesting and should be effective when employed correctly

(if its modeled correctly atleast).

And as for range low altitude employment should be 8-10km (Weather and Terrain will effect the range as the glide bomb will try to maintain its altitude according to its radar altimiter so going uphill or down hill can alter the range)

and the later sister of the BK 90 named AFDS for (Autonomous Free-flight Dispenser System) that is in use with Greece was based on the BK 90 but modified / upgraded to be able to be deployed from either low or high altitude and at altitudes of 6100m it had a range of up to 22km but since the BK 90 for the Viggen is only optimized for low altitude drops we will have to do with 8-10km (heading directly at the target) or 4-5km (if the target is 90 degrees of the heading) but either way flying low and fast enough should make it possible to get close enough even against more heavily defended targets.

Someone knows if AJS 37 autopilot, has the automatic aiming cannon like JA 37 ?

Just started to read about the Viggen. Attack version didn't had a cannon - only possibility to mount gun pods.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I hate to be that guy, but hasn't this thread kind of served its purpuse now that the general forum finally is here?

Not really, as it still serves as a general discussion area for things that don't deserve their own threads.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.