AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news that the pre-sale starts today! Really hope they get it out before Thanksgiving! It will be a cruel torture for it to come out while all the family is in town for Thanksgiving:D

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

I'm hoping 2.5 will lead the way for this also.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Will this bird be more well suited for SEAD than the A-10C is? Is this kind of like the Bluefor equivalent of the Su-25?

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Will this bird be more well suited for SEAD than the A-10C is? Is this kind of like the Bluefor equivalent of the Su-25?

I think not

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

Not at all.

Su-25 has longer range antiradar missiles ( Kh-25MP and the Su-25T Kh-58 ) and ranges is life in SEAD missions.

The speed of the Su and the Harrier are more or less equivalent, but the Sidearm is by no means comparable to the Kh series.

On the other hand, the A-10 doesnt have any ARM, so the Harrier with the Sidearm, at least has something to throw over short Sams.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

It will be more suited than the A-10C with the use of the AGM-122. It will not be as capable as the SU-25T as others have already mentioned.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Great news that the pre-sale starts today! Really hope they get it out before Thanksgiving! It will be a cruel torture for it to come out while all the family is in town for Thanksgiving:D

If so, you can crank it up and show everyone your new toy. Then they can all get a good laugh while you crash and burn!

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

It will absolutely be more capable than the A-10C for SEAD since it actually has a missile that can home on radar signals.

It will not be nearly as capable as the SU-25T. The AGM-122 the Harrier is getting is basically just good for suppressing short range SAM (SA-6/SA-8) sites and radar guided AAA.

Something I think a lot of people here don't consider is that you don't need an AGM-88 to do proper SEAD, either, and stuff other than the technology that is equipped on the plane does matter. The Harrier is going to be significantly faster than the A-10C, and that will help tremendously with taking out radar sites.

I can and have used terrain masking to kill well defended SA-11 sites in the A-10C in DCS, just using guns or rockets, even using Mavs. In fact the radar homing missiles like the AGM-122 and AGM-88 in real life aren't even reliable enough to get consistent hits. They are primarily used in self defense to get the radar operator to shut off the radar once they're fired at.

I suppose what I'm talking about is DEAD more than SEAD, but similar concept. Take radars offline xD

Right on, thanks for the quick answers guys. It looks like the Hornet will be my first opportunity to run a full on SEAD for myself on the blue side :thumbup:

Now I just need to decide if it is even worth continuing to learn the Hog (I just started), or if I would be better served to just stop that and learn the Harrier instead and let the Hog rot on the sidelines.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Hmm I missed all the news. Didn't receive my weekly email yet. No buy option yet it seems. Can't wait!

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Looks like the site is almost ready, they do need to fix the price though.

attachment.php?attachmentid=171209&stc=1&d=1509116570

OK, they will "unveil" the Hornet in 2 weeks, literally. But what does that mean? When will it be availabel for pre-purchase, or released to the public?

Two more weeks@tm after that

No no I think it's ok where it is lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Now I just need to decide if it is even worth continuing to learn the Hog (I just started), or if I would be better served to just stop that and learn the Harrier instead and let the Hog rot on the sidelines.

I'm pretty sure there will be a bunch of transferable knowledge eg; Litening TGP, LGB operations, Maverick operations.

Of course the way you go about using these thing will differ but the way the Hog flies and its loiter time means you don't have to rush to learn them. I say, continue learning the Hog, maybe jump in at the weapons end for the transferable knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Why does everybody want to throw their money right away and spam refreshing the product site? If you pre-purchase it right now, tomorrow, next week, its not like its going to release earlier..

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Why does everybody want to throw their money right away and spam refreshing the product site? If you pre-purchase it right now, tomorrow, next week, its not like its going to release earlier..

a question that i find puzzling as well...but i guess Games these days are all about the hype

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.