Track replay is bugged...

after this latest patch (late dec2016) all of my tracks are de-syncing ----- in other words, what happens in REPLAY isn't what happened in the game ---- also, say i'm on a server and i respawn, the first jet appears and gets tracked (ie.. tacview records it) but not second third, etc

help?

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't tell for the Spit, but many ASM birds model engine dynamics and quirks encountered, etc.

Now if you record all throttle input, the same setting may or may not produce a different result through the ASM.

Same may be a factor in ground, wind, temperature.

If you have dynamic weather on, it will definitely break a track over time.

Yet, the more natural and dynamic system modeling gets, the more flawed is the track concept.

They need to come up with something different.

At the moment tracks are helpful in debugging, as they contain inputs, parameters etc. for analysis by ED.

Ah, and don't change your input axis in-between track recording and replay! ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Maybe instead of tracking inputs' date=' track effects, the position, speed, orientation, and when you fire/release a weapon, and track that for all weapons and AI, force kills, so if a missile hit a target, force the hit to account for any errors.[/quote']

Well, probably not so easy to change that. The current system tracks only tracks input, with which it can re-run the simulation. For the simulator it is just like you fly the mission again.

If you where to record all the parameters of all units (which is possible as we see with TacView), you would then have to re-write the whole system to not run of a simulation but instead of the saved data, probably requiring a whole new system to do so.

While a better track replay system would be nice, I believe that there are more important things that need focus first.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

I think from what I know about computing and single and double precision in calculating it cant be done the way it is done..and it would be damn hard to impossible to do so, unless you rent a DC and have it calculate it with double precision...at a fraction of the speed.

Assumptions, as close as they are, never hit the nail and the further down you walk that road the more it differs...and it all started with one BIT being 0 instead of 1.

Devs may correct me, this is how I explain this to myself why it behaves this way.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Well, probably not so easy to change that. The current system tracks only tracks input, with which it can re-run the simulation. For the simulator it is just like you fly the mission again.

If you where to record all the parameters of all units (which is possible as we see with TacView), you would then have to re-write the whole system to not run of a simulation but instead of the saved data, probably requiring a whole new system to do so.

While a better track replay system would be nice, I believe that there are more important things that need focus first.

So how many more years before this is important enough to be a point of focus? Borrow the recorder IL2 1946 has. Surely they can get it to work in DCS and it not take years to do. TC

Edit: What I really should have said is if you are not going to fix it then take it completely out of the sim, who knows it may resolve alot of issue being experience with the sim now. It shouldn't take years to fix this issue, that's why I say if you are not going to fix it (not years from now) take it completely out.

Edited by too-cool

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

..and no use of TrackIR either..it also breaks the tracks.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Edit: What I really should have said is if you are not going to fix it then take it completely out of the sim, who knows it may resolve alot of issue being experience with the sim now. It shouldn't take years to fix this issue, that's why I say if you are not going to fix it (not years from now) take it completely out.

Why should they take it completely out if they won't fix it?

For some people it kinda works for an hour and then you randomly crash into the ground which is still quite useful for me and a few other people. It's still possible to review an Air to Air Refueling, a Landing or some maneuvers.

If you don't want to use it or if it doesn't work for you then simply don't use it instead of taking it out while other people can still get something out of it.

Why should they take it completely out if they won't fix it?

For some people it kinda works for an hour and then you randomly crash into the ground which is still quite useful for me and a few other people. It's still possible to review an Air to Air Refueling, a Landing or some maneuvers.

If you don't want to use it or if it doesn't work for you then simply don't use it instead of taking it out while other people can still get something out of it.

If it's a matter of setting then yes keep it, but if not then it should be fixed or removed, after all it's a feature of the sim and it should work for everyone not just a few. To my knowledge ED has never said if it's fixable or not, at least let the customer know one way or the other and not just allow the term: we should be focusing on something more important, back to my point, when will it become a point of focus for ED to fix? TC

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

it should just be removed and replaced with an ACMI system

if you want to record DCS just use a video recording software such as OBS

That's not a viable solution, there's nothing wrong with my equipment, it's the sim that has the problem. TC

it should just be removed and replaced with an ACMI system

if you want to record DCS just use a video recording software such as OBS

thats two different things...having an inbuilt trackrecording tool, which lets you watch your flights from all different angles afterwards has nothing to do with a video recording software, which you need anyway if you want to make clips...

thats two different things...having an inbuilt trackrecording tool, which lets you watch your flights from all different angles afterwards has nothing to do with a video recording software, which you need anyway if you want to make clips...

"inbuilt trackrecording tool, which lets you watch your flights from all different angles afterwards", Is this available on OBS, Most want to watch their flight from different angles, inside and out. Lets not make this into a grudge match guys. TC

OK Guys.

The Track System has it's quirks, especially in LONG missions or missions w/ Alot of Scripting/Dynamic Properties

So:

You Fly a Mission by yourself, w/ static weather, take off, buzz tower land.

Track is Essentially the Mission File, and a Saved Input Recording.

When you watch a Track, the Sim Loads the Mission and Replaces User Control w/ the Recorded Inputs.

As long as everything stays the same, the track should play back accurately.

However, if you edit that same mission to be dynamic weather (as it the weather is randomly generated at mission loading time),

Take off, buzz tower, land, save track.

When you load the track to watch the replay, many aspects of the environment will have been changed due to randomly generated weather, so a recorded input would no longer be valid.

if You fly a P-51D on a Clear Day, and then load the same input recording, and try to let the sim fly the same P-51D on a 20 MPH Crosswind day, it's not going to end well, the aircraft might not even make it off the ground.

Now, Things that affect track Playback:

-Network Lag/Spikes/Packet Loss (in MP Tracks)

-Local Sim Spikes (if the sim process locks up for a second or otherwise skips (stutters), the input track because desynced w/ the mission.

-Dynamic Properties, ESPECIALLY WEATHER.

things like TactView Records the Telemetry of Everything (Ground Units, Air Units, Weapons, etc), and saves it to it's own file.

There is no mission load, or dynamic properties, everything is saved in that file, you open the tactview file, and the program displays the object's based on the recorded telemetry.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Spitfire tracks go well or go bonkers (the same tracks played twice I mean) even in simple offline, clear-sky, no-wind missions, so something's off already in the input recording, or input re-application (or both) phase.

Most of other aircraft seem to be completely unaffected, though, so removing the feature is not an option I'd say.

By the way, old Il-2 series works on the input recording principle as well, so the same game/mod version incompatibility problem applies over there as well. No idea how the "new" one works, though.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

about random weather, shouldn't the track store the seed for RNG?

It isn't "seeding" anything... It calculates one or more dynamic (not procedural generated) isobaric systems, that start applying thermodynamics to equalize pressure differences.

Everytime it will be slightly different, like real life weather.

Every winter we have "the same weather", yet it even differs from day to day and year to year. ;)

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I think from what I know about computing and single and double precision in calculating it cant be done the way it is done..and it would be damn hard to impossible to do so, unless you rent a DC and have it calculate it with double precision...at a fraction of the speed.

Say what now? What does calculation precision have to do with it, as long as errors are deterministic?

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

The term seeding in that context was referring to procedural number generation, not a simple random number.

In a procedural generation the result of the "dynamic" system is the same everytime.

The dynamic weather is different everytime.

From what I understood it uses a start value (pressure) for each system, and from that point on it tries to equalize pressure between the isobaric system(s).

Shagrat

The best solution would be to save the actual position of every unit maybe once per 5 seconds? Or if you're clever about it you could save position depending on how quickly it's moving/accelerating.

That way you'd still get the resolution of the current track system but errors that accumulate over time could be neutralized.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

The term seeding in that context was referring to procedural number generation, not a simple random number.

In a procedural generation the result of the "dynamic" system is the same everytime.

The dynamic weather is different everytime.

From what I understood it uses a start value (pressure) for each system, and from that point on it tries to equalize pressure between the isobaric system(s).

Somewhere in the code for the dynamic weather generator there must be a random number generator be used - or how could the weather be different each time?

So if we use the exact same input parameters to that weather generator every time, we will get the same weather every time. The thing is just, that some of the input parameters are, well, randomized in the mission editor when you click "generate". But that is just an user interface thing. If those input parameters would be written to the .TRK file and read back from there, the dynamic weather should be the same each time the track is re-played.

Somewhere in the code for the dynamic weather generator there must be a random number generator be used - or how could the weather be different each time?

So if we use the exact same input parameters to that weather generator every time, we will get the same weather every time. The thing is just, that some of the input parameters are, well, randomized in the mission editor when you click "generate". But that is just an user interface thing. If those input parameters would be written to the .TRK file and read back from there, the dynamic weather should be the same each time the track is re-played.

Of course, but obviously it is also different when you play it back.

And it is even developing different due to thermodynamics...

Shagrat