Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Was hoping to get back into DCS after about 2 months away, but not sure where I'll go now. There was (and is) nowhere else that played the same, had the same level of challenge for the Cold War jets, or attracted the same level of play. I'm going to really miss the Combined Arms cat-and-mouse, even with the CA bugs, and the cheeky SAM sites. Thanks for running the server for so long through thick and thin and sorry I couldn't be around more lately - would've been nice to see it out with a bang instead.

It looks like DCS Cold War is going to be really something in a couple years, and the little one might be a little less labour intensive, so if you decide to kick things back off you know I'll be there.

• Like 9

Thanks for everything Alpen. This was the first server I really got into and to this day is the best DCS server I've played. I had countless hours of fun on it thanks to you, and made several friends. Again, thank you.

• Like 5

Foreword: Sending my deepest thanks to Aplenwolf, for some of the most memorable times in DCS world. I send this with a whole in my heart and will miss our battles with combined arms. You (Alpenwolf) have tirelessly given so much to our community, making missions complex, interesting and most of all fun.

History: I for one, wouldn't of met such a fantastic bunch of guy's helping each other to learn how to fly, use DCS in many new ways, with enjoyment along the way. The cold war 1947 - 1991 server was a meeting place for many players, and even though it was full on battle mode, many pilots came for the challenge. Over 9 years of helping pilots learn their craft over the skies on the Persian Gulf, Syria, and the Caucasus's. My last computer was from the same era, that's how long ago it was.

Future of the cold war: Well, as far as we know, it's not to return. Using the missions on a regular server is no more. We have asked to use them, but Alpenwolf has asked that we don't use them. We respect that, he put hours of his own time and it's his choice to share them. Can we have them in similar missions of the future, sure, we have the missions, but it will not be the same full mission, as we only have part of the mission files.

Dedicated server: Making a dedicated server in the short term is not possible, but the future will be something that we can make. I've been working on missions over the last year, learning and hosting missions for the small group cold war players. This I think will accelerate my efforts to finally create worthy missions for our cold war community.

Closure: In my final words about the cold war 1947 - 1991, in the ashes of the old, grow a-new. We will return....

Thank you Alpenwolf!! Deepest Regards,

Mark (Mike-Delta)

• Like 10

Thanks for a great server Alpenwolf, I've had many memorable missions on your server.

• Like 4

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Alpenwolf is not leaving us. 

We left him.

He created a server where teamwork and communication were required for success. 
It was always a challenge and flying alone and silent was rewarded with failure. 

As soon as there was a carbon copy setup that did not require teamwork, which, in fact directly rewards lone wolfing, the best server DCS has ever seen became a ghost town. 

We did this to ourselves because we don’t want teamwork and a challenge for challenge sake. We want easy kills and ego boosting public stats and kill messages. 

So while DCS Cold War will be getting plenty of new modules, it won’t be “something” and it certainly will not entice Alpenwolf back. 

• Like 10

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

3 hours ago, Volator said:

Sorry to read that, Alpenwolf. Your server always stood out from the crowd and provided a lot of excellent gameplay for years. Thank you for that!

Thank you Alpenwolf.  I found your server only a few months back and so I come in towards the end.  Even so, as a newcomer I learnt much on the server.  Sorry it did not work out. 

Be well, be happy and have fun,

Talisman

• Like 2

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Oh noooo!

A very sad day indeed. It was my fav server! Thank you alpen for unforgettable experience! 

I never seen PvP missions with such fine tuning as these ones, as if I had time I would probably design similar mission layout and premise as you had.

And of course brilliant Limited Edition missions with "Allied Assault" as my favorite. 

My DCS experience will never be whole again!

I understand that being admin may cause burn out, if that was the case, then enjoy the "retirement", clearly you earned it 😉

Good luck with your future ventures, have fun with DCS (most importantly)

I will be looking forward for any potential reboot! 

The_Tau

image.jpeg

Edited by The_Tau
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, The_Tau said:

I understand that being admin may cause burn out, if that was the case, then enjoy the "retirement", clearly you earned it

Far from it, brother. It's the constantly low population that didn't seem to ever come back. Not with the current direction the multiplayer side of DCS is going.

The Cold War 1947 - 1991 server is just another server from quite a few old ones that had their end coming. Very natural. It's not like I wanted to end it at all costs. It's actually the exact opposite. I've tried to keep it at all costs if anything. Hence the nuke, the MiG-15 vs F-86 and the A-4 missions to say the least.

Again, it is what it is and like I said, I don't know if I'll ever host again and if, no idea if it's going to be Cold War again, or WWll or modern jets. It's over for now and we'll see what happens. After all, if it wasn't for DCS I wouldn't have bought a computer in the first place. No other games out there interest me really. Really nothing. I've tried one or two, but didn't really enjoy them as much as I do DCS. I'm not your typical gamer 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

As for myself i know, i haven't much time available. And with other team players went to Enigma server, it's just get worse. I almost don't fly at all. In my opinion, I might be wrong, Enigma server and end of epidemic killed your server.

I have to admit. Even if I was angry at you one time I have to admit, it was the most enjoyable time for many months for me, playing in DCS. 

So thank you for everything.

• Like 1

I was very surprised and saddened to hear the news. There were days when I practiced MiG-21 and F-5E just to fly on this fun server. If I had not known about this server, if it had not existed, I would not have taken such an interest in Cold War aircraft.

I salute Alpenwolf for all his efforts so far. And I hope we can continue to enjoy our days together as DCS players, even though we are from different places.

Thank you so much.

• Like 3

Phantom Forever

F-4EJ / F-4EJ Kai 1971-2021

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use DeepL Translate. Well, I can speak Japanese.

So sad to hear this. The best fun I've had in DCS over the years has been on this server.

It had a unique mix, hard to put your finger on any one thing but when blended together it was really magical. Much attention was given to the role of combined arms something I've yet to find on any other MP server. It made for many intensive battles requiring communication & coordination between air/land units it was oh so good. The server also attracted a great bunch of people some of whom have become friends and for that I am very grateful.

All the best & hats off to Alpenwolf for all the great times and I hope that maybe sometime in the future as a DCS heavyweight he'll make a comeback.

Best wishes,

CVA

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Very sad to hear this, but understandable. You gifted us hundred of hours of enjoyment out of DCS, not sure if you also made missions for ACG WW2 but I surely remember you as the ACG Cold War mission maker. The magic of having tanks advancing, planes giving support and both of them working together is something that I really never found in any other server at that level.

Using helicopters to spot targets for artillery strikes, soft the A2A defences and run in with gun runs / rocket runs while you could see friendly tanks pushing the enemy frontline it's why I always came back to your server. No other server, with or without population could capture the magic of your missions.

You'll really leave a huge void in "our" DCS community I think, the one that likes Combined Arms operation and not only some generic cold war Air Quake. There's really nothing that comes even close to your missions.

I wish you all the best Alpenwolf, you gave me probably one the best memories I'll ever get in DCS

Good luck and see you in the skies!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

PC : i7 7700K | NVIDIA 2070 Super | 32GB RAM 3000MHz

Modules : FC3 | Bf 109K-4 Kurfurst | F-5E-3 Tiger II | A-10C Worthog | MiG-21Bis Fishbed | UH-1H Huey | Combined Arms | AJS-37 Viggen | F/A-18C Hornet | Ka-50 | F-14A&B Tomcat! | L-39 | Mi-8MTV | Persian Gulf | F-86F | MiG-15 | AV-8B N/A | M-2000C | P-51D | F-16C | Yak-52 | Nevada | SA342 | NS430 | JF-17

Virpil WarBRD | Virpil VFX Grip

I'm sad to read this but I understand and respect your decision.

This server was my introduction to DCS, thanks to the very dedicated and friendly playerbase I was able to learn a lot and I honestly wouldn't have become such a sim addict without it.

It wasn't easy to start on this server for a new player like me but having to learn how to navigate, stay hidden, fight and play as a team was the complete package no other server could offer.

The time and effort you put in the missions and scenarios will always impress me and I'll miss the intensive fights both in the air and on the ground it provided. 

I haven't been able to play for some time due to me moving an ocean away from home but I truly hope to hear from you and the Alpen's CW chads.

Thank you Alpen, take care !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Haven't been online in many months. Sad to see this server go but I understand the decision. All great things must come to an end.

I made many, many great memories here. I was in the midst of medical residency during the early pandemic, and your server was a way to relax.

Hats off to Alpenwolf for nine years of faithful service.  

And thanks, friend... see you again.

Edited by DrRed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Northrop F-5E TIGER II

Intel i7-9700k @ 5.0 GHz | GTX 3070 | 32 GB | HTC VIVE PRO 2
Virpil T50 CM2 base + CM2 grip | CM2 Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV

• 4 weeks later...

Sigh....been away from the server for a long time.

Really sad to see that it has gone....

This is where I first got into multiplayer with DCS and with the MiG-21. it was always an awesome experience, and the missions were memorable. I miss the challenge and tactics that were involved, and when things were line up these were the best and most enjoyable multiplayer experience. I'm sad to see it go.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort Alpenwolf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Alpenwolf for all the fun on your server. It's the main server i played on after finding DCS and before transitioning to flying with a more dedicated group of people. I jumped on the server on last time to fly the F5. It's what taught me the basics and sparked my interest into tactics and concepts on how to employ fighter  aircraft. I am sorry it came to an end and wish you all the best!

• Thanks 1

The server is a loss to the community and it is a shame to see it go. Sadly I never made it onto the server (I never felt confident enough in my ability) but I had hoped to get on there eventually.

Thank you for all you time hardwork and dedication to the community Alpenwolf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2022 at 9:15 AM, KillingJoke said:

The server is a loss to the community and it is a shame to see it go. Sadly I never made it onto the server (I never felt confident enough in my ability) but I had hoped to get on there eventually.

Thank you for all you time hardwork and dedication to the community Alpenwolf.

I wish you and others hadn't really refrain from checking out the server, despite a possible lack of knowledge and/or experience in DCS, or doubting one's skills. The server gained that reputation of being tough, hardcore, demanding, having realistic setups, etc. (and these are words players used to describe the server with, not me claiming it to be) throughout the years, which led to some almost "dreading" checking it out.
I was very demanding, and that's true, and pushed players to new places in DCS, but it was all done in an attempt to get the most out of it. I guess, it's a natural consequence when asking so much of players when they could go elsewhere and just do what they want, which is fine, but I wanted something else out of DSC. After all, this ain't War Thunder (with all due respect) or any other game/simulator. DCS is simply the best and I, for my own taste, felt it was still missing something in the multiplayer world of it. It's either stressful and intense or simply not my cup of tea. But that's just me, and obviously the crazy ones like me who stuck around for so long 😉

• Like 6

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

4 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

I wish you and others hadn't really refrain from checking out the server, despite a possible lack of knowledge and/or experience in DCS, or doubting one's skills. The server gained that reputation of being tough, hardcore, demanding, having realistic setups, etc. (and these are words players used to describe the server with, not me claiming it to be) throughout the years, which led to some almost "dreading" checking it out.
I was very demanding, and that's true, and pushed players to new places in DCS, but it was all done in an attempt to get the most out of it. I guess, it's a natural consequence when asking so much of players when they could go elsewhere and just do what they want, which is fine, but I wanted something else out of DSC. After all, this ain't War Thunder (with all due respect) or any other game/simulator. DCS is simply the best and I, for my own taste, felt it was still missing something in the multiplayer world of it. It's either stressful and intense or simply not my cup of tea. But that's just me, and obviously the crazy ones like me who stuck around for so long 😉

Most of my group has gone back to flying War Thunder Simulator Battles (WWII tiers) after the death of your server. At least there is some BFM to be found and the VR implementation is worlds above DCS. It has a lot of silly stuff but flight models in SB aren’t horrible and the visuals in VR are quite stunning  

DCS could be the best but its players aren’t all that interested in challenging, teamwork based PvP, as evidenced by the popular servers. 

Its been nearly a month since I started up DCS and I don’t see anything interesting on the horizon that is going to motivate me to crank it up. 

• Like 2

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, I haven't played DCS in a couple months due to work and I was excited to get back on your server. This server was notorious for being hardcore and tough without teamwork, but because of that it forced us to work together to get the upper hand over the enemy. This was the first server that had super friendly people willing to help at every turn. They forced you to be in situations that you may not have been comfortable with (putting you with a flight of people you don't know, or having you do A/G) but they would always walk you through the process and give great positive feedback. This server makes better DCS pilots and it is a shame to see it go. I will be on the hunt for a server that focuses on more "realistic" battles like this server, but it'll never be the same. Thanks Alpenwolf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1