F18 GUN SIGHT ACCURACY

Badger633

On 4/18/2021 at 9:40 PM, Gripes323 said:

I haven't run across this issue yet. When you saw this, were you in range more or less?  Try diving at 45 or 30deg.  It should creep up from slightly below to on the target. Adjust the flight path tiny bit if you have to. 

You'll see the pipper creep when you're shooting rockets in CCIP. Approaching the target level at say 15k feet, you'll see the pipper slightly below VV. When you dive toward the target from that altitude, the pipper will drop below the HUD. I'm not sure if that's the way it works in the Hornet. I think it should be pegged at the bottom of the HUD. As you approach in range, the pipper will creep up.

2 hours ago, Drac said:

Fired my guns for the first time in awhile a few minutes ago.  Guns overshot the target.  However, I did not assign the TDC to the HUD.  Is that something new in 2.7?

So, completely unsourced factoid right now:

A little birdy told me that CCIP symbology shouldn't even show without TDC assigned to the HUD. Like I said, no source for that, but interesting nonetheless

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

37 minutes ago, Swiftwin9s said:

A little birdy told me that CCIP symbology shouldn't even show without TDC assigned to the HUD. Like I said, no source for that, but interesting nonetheless

Curiously, this is how the VRS FSX hornet was modelled for years. Although it gets some things wrong, it gets many correct. Could be a coincidence, but probably not.

Although I wonder why a TDC assigned to HUD is needed? Generating a range with AGR is the obvious answer, but radio altitude or baro altitude (plus selected WP elevation) would allow some ranging, although less accurate. Maybe a Hornet thing. 

2 hours ago, Swiftwin9s said:

I will give it a try....Thanks

A/G gun symbology is always shown when selected on the stores page first.  The radar will range through the pipper when suitably below the horizon and display AGR, even if there is a designation.  Priority is to range through the gunsight even if the TDC is elsewhere (like the FLIR).

Same I was doing the Desert Convoy quick mission in Persian Gulf. Was armed with RockEyes switched to guns and the shots were way off above the pipper.
Reran the mission again and it was fine on the next try. So appears to be intermittent.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-9700KF @ 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2070 Super 1800MHz, Occulus Rift S, CH Pro Pedals, CH Pro Throttle, Virpil MongoosT-50 CM2, Virpil VPC WarBRD Base.

• BIGNEWY changed the title to F18 GUN SIGHT ACCURACY
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I want to push this back to top. I actually nearly always have this prolem with the gun.

I just tested a small mission with ME, and there it did not occure. But on the 4Y training server in Syria, last couple of times flying with F/A 18, it always occurs.

here is a a video:

I also have a track file from that multi player, but it's 50MB. tell me if you need.

• Thanks 2

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

• 1 month later...

Same issue happened to me twice just recently, only after I meddled with some JSOWs, doing GPS alignments, waypoint settings and whatnot...I don't know if it has to do anything with it, because I've used A/G CCIP GUN many times before, was never too accurate but this two times after successful JSOW deployments, gun pipper went beserk and pointed way low and rounds ended up way high and away.

• Like 1

I reported it and BigNewy passed it on, seems like the same issue.

I reproduced it by:

1) Release JDAM (maybe any GPS weapon, so JSOW too?)

2) Be far North in PG map (I haven't tested other maps) when I tested I was above grid CS

• Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Right. Here is your trackfile then. Also the mission I used (Mariana)

On the runway there is a bus I need to shoot, but first I have to kill 4 tanks and some buildings with JDAMS.

After I see all of the JDAMS missing the tanks (can anyone explain what I did wrong there ???), I flip around and strafe the buss. You'll see all of the tracers go over it. On my second pas, the traces are on target again.

After that I commit suicide out of frustration !  😛

Test.miz FA-18 Gun too high.trk

Possibly related? I had this problem due to cleaning the fxo folder. Leaving the fxo folder alone (and doing a slow repair according to some people) fixed it. But it still seems there are 6+ threads about the gun pipper being lower than the actual impact point over the last 1~2 years or so.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Here's a track file showing this issue

The track shows the below steps being used on a target at ~4200ft elevation. 

Steps:

1. Select A/G Mode, and the Gun from the SMS page
  2. Put the pipper on the target and wait for the In Range Cue
  3. Enable Active Pause to make comparing before and after easy
  4. Pull the trigger and verify the rounds land close to the target
  5. Select and Unselect JDAMs
  6. Test accuracy again - The pipper is no longer in the same location. but firing the gun will result in the rounds landing in the same place

The deviation between where the pipper is pointing and where the rounds go seems to increase with elevation. The deviation is pretty minor when your target is at 250ft elevation, but very obvious when the target is at 4200ft.

F18_Gun_bug.trk

• Like 1

i9 9900K, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3080

Valve Index, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM TPR Pedals

• ED Team

Hi all,

we do have a report open for this strange gun accuracy issue, the team will look into it. 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

I encountered the same issue, A/G gun actual impact point above pipper point. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

This is a known bug for a long time, ED is working on it.  The problem is that it only affects a few people and it’s hard to reproduce if you aren’t one of said people, which is likely why ED hasn’t fixed it yet.  It’s related to alignment and affects the Harrier as well.  Here is the quick fix that works for me, I have to do it every time I start DCS world:

1.) Start any mission with an F-18 (Or AV-8 if you want to fly that)

2.) Wait for world to load, hop into F-18/AV-8, wait for everything to load/initialize 

3.) Once you are at the point when you would normally do the startup procedure, quit the mission and return to main menu.

4.) Continue to play DCS as you normally do.  Do NOT quit out of the game or you will have to repeat these steps again.

All credit goes to the person who figured this out, I believe he posted this fix somewhere in the thread med-taha linked above.  This bug was SUPER frustrating for me before I found this fix, as it severely messed up JDAMs in the Harrier, to the point that they had an accuracy of ~50-200 meters depending on their mood.  Hope this helps anyone with this problem who stumbles across this post

• Like 1