Bankler's CASE 1 Recovery Trainer

Bankler

Thank you so much for this! Really wonderful trainer. The feedback makes a HUGE difference in both learning as well as building up confidence in what you have learned.

Do we have to call the ball using a radio menu or something? I see "CLARA ..." on my scoresheet summary (which BTW shows up fine in my VR view).

(p.s. would LOVE to see something like this for A2A refueling --- maybe calling out station-keeping feedback!)

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Wonderful to hear that it helped you!

Regarding "Clara low" (and "Clara high"). In this context it just means "So low that you wouldn't even see the ball from down there". In contrast to "Very low" where you're not doing great but at least the ball is still visible.

In other words, it's not the same thing as calling Clara on the ball call (even though it would of course be a good idea to call clara on comms if you lost sight). Ball calls are not implemented in the script. My reasoning is that it makes little sense to call the ball by fiddling with radio menus. It's something you do on SRS or your choice of voice comms. (Though, of course, I guess it could be done with some Voice Attack magic in single palyer).

Still room for some improvements but good enough for today. Now beer. ;)

"Dogfight: He who pulls the stick most violently shall win"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FSSB R3 Warthog - Cougar TUSBA - TPR - Valve Index - AW3418DW

i7-6700K OC @4.9GHz - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - Trident Z CL14 32GB 3200MHz - M.2 950 PRO 512GB + MP510 1920 GB

Still room for some improvements but good enough for today. Now beer. ;)

Congratulations.

Brilliant score.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I'm usually fine on the initial pass of the carrier and the break, the easy bits, but it is the transition to on-speed and the final turn into the groove where it all goes pear-shaped.

I suspect that it is my clumsy throttle control that is where I need to concentrate and that once I get the transition to on-speed right, the remainder of the recovery would become far more easy.

My current max score is 60, but the norm is usually in the low 50s.

I'm usually fine on the initial pass of the carrier and the break, the easy bits, but it is the transition to on-speed and the final turn into the groove where it all goes pear-shaped.

I suspect that it is my clumsy throttle control that is where I need to concentrate and that once I get the transition to on-speed right, the remainder of the recovery would become far more easy.

My current max score is 60, but the norm is usually in the low 50s.

Bank angle makes quite a difference to your descent rate, at a constant throttle (i.e. more bank = less vertical lift component, greater rate of descent). Make sure you're holding a steady bank angle off the 180; throttle control should be easier after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know whether this has been asked already but: Is there something like a logfile collecting your results??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Don't know whether this has been asked already but: Is there something like a logfile collecting your results??
It has been asked for before. No, I do not think there is. What I do is to take a snapshot of my good scores to look at and feel happy about later .

Seriously wish one could be design for this amazing piece of work by Bankler.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

• 2 weeks later...
First try - 67.

Very nice mission.

First try on this mission I assume :suspect:

I mean common.. 67 on your first carrier landing, I refuse to believe that :P

I think my highest score ever is like 50 or something :cry:

Edit: in my defense, I hardly ever bolter, wave off or crash

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Once again --- LOVE this trainer!

I have noticed two bugs, one of which is really easily reproducible. No big deals, as there are easy work-arounds, but thought I would report them here in case there is interesting in squashing them. To be honest, I'm not sure if the issues are with the mission, DCS, or the module (F-14). Or maybe they are designed?

Bug #1

Symptom: instant CADC / auto wing-sweep failure on an air-started F-14.

To reproduce:

(1) Start mission.

(2) Select ANY slot EXCEPT for the air start F-14's. E.g, any Hornet slot or any carrier launched F-14.

(3a) Quit, and select an air start F-14.

And you will find your auto wing sweep does not work and the CADC and wing sweep warning lights are on.

Now here's the weird thing --- quitting the mission completely and starting a new one, and then jumping directly into an air start F-14 does not "reset" things! The CADC error and wing sweep still does not work. You actually have to quit DCS entirely and restart it to get back to normal.

Work-Around(s):

(1) avoid selecting any other slot but an air-start F-14 once the mission is launched

OR

(2) restart DCS

Bug #2

Symptom: Barometric altimeter stuck at 000 (pointing up) on air-started F-14.

To reproduce: I don't know how! Sometimes it happens even on a fresh air start, i.e., without any other slots or aircraft selected first/

Work-Around(s): Luckily, simply restarting the mission cures this.

I have noticed two bugs, one of which is really easily reproducible. No big deals, as there are easy work-arounds, but thought I would report them here in case there is interesting in squashing them. To be honest, I'm not sure if the issues are with the mission, DCS, or the module (F-14). Or maybe they are designed?

Bug #1

To reproduce:

(1) Start mission.

(2) Select ANY slot EXCEPT for the air start F-14's. E.g, any Hornet slot or any carrier launched F-14.

And you will find your auto wing sweep does not work and the CADC and wing sweep warning lights are on.

Now here's the weird thing --- quitting the mission completely and starting a new one, and then jumping directly into an air start F-14 does not "reset" things! The CADC error and wing sweep still does not work. You actually have to quit DCS entirely and restart it to get back to normal.

Work-Around(s):

(1) avoid selecting any other slot but an air-start F-14 once the mission is launched

OR

(2) restart DCS

Bug #2

To reproduce: I don't know how! Sometimes it happens even on a fresh air start, i.e., without any other slots or aircraft selected first/

Thanks for reporting this. The first issue seems mission related, and it is possible that the aircraft are from an older DCS version (pre 2.5) which would require maybe rebuilding the mission or at least replacing the aircraft and their triggers. It is also possible that a set command is being used in the mission that is somehow outdated or wrong or conflicting with another one or any other thing in the mission, hard to say. But if you do the simple case1 insta mission, and do not experience the same (try it after launching DCS and before doing something else), then imo it would point towards being mission side.

Bug #2 is a DCS initialization or loading bug we suspect. It should happen very rarely, unless maybe if you have a less than 12GB RAM etc or else meet low system specs. Sorry that I don't have better answers atm. Thanks again!

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Bug #1

To reproduce:

(1) Start mission.

Work-Around(s):

OR

(2) restart DCS

Bug #2

This looks like F-14 bugs to me. Can't tell for sure, but I've let HB know about it. Thanks for the report.

EDIT: Saw that Ironmike replied before me. Thanks!

Edited by Bankler

Thanks for reporting this. The first issue seems mission related, and it is possible that the aircraft are from an older DCS version (pre 2.5) which would require maybe rebuilding the mission or at least replacing the aircraft and their triggers. It is also possible that a set command is being used in the mission that is somehow outdated or wrong or conflicting with another one or any other thing in the mission, hard to say. But if you do the simple case1 insta mission, and do not experience the same (try it after launching DCS and before doing something else), then imo it would point towards being mission side.

Hey IronMike!

I've done some testing on my end. I couldn't reproduce it following Bearfoot's exact step (never got it to happen when switching from Hornet for instance), but the report was very helpful regardless. As far as I can tell, unless I'm making some very weird mistake (which has happened before...), it doesn't seem mission related. I created a new testing misison. Completely empty except two client slots; a cold start Tomcat and an air start Tomcat.

Repro-steps:

1 Launch mission in SP.

2 Select cold start aircraft.

3 Hit ESC and press "Select role".

4 Select the air start slot.

The CADC warning light will shine, and the wings won't move when you press AUTO, just like Bearfoot's description.

I have attached the minimalistic test mission. :thumbup:

Cheers!

F-14_CADC_Test.miz

Thanks for looking into this folks!

@Bankler: I will see if I can reproduce the issue when switching from the Hornet. It's possible I got confused (I tried numerous variations to see if I could pin it down). But good that you figured out a consistently reproducible case. A reproducible bug is a dead bug --- it just does not know it yet!

Once again, appreciate everyone's efforts in this!

Hay Bunkler,

great trainer in a first place ! My suggestion would be to have some fine tuning for realizing I'm aborting my landing. When I see I'm totally screwed my pattern, and start to clean up, throttle up and turning back onto outbound leg, LSO is still talking to me. Could be maybe based on monitoring positon, heading and speed parameters (required with tolerance vs. actual values)?

Also, new attempt could be acknowledged (welcomed?) closer to the carrier so I do not have to fly out to at least 2.5 NM heading for the ship back 3 NM to be acknowledged for a new approach.

Just my 2 cent, great (but ruthless) tool tough ! :joystick:

Hay Bunkler,

great trainer in a first place ! My suggestion would be to have some fine tuning for realizing I'm aborting my landing. When I see I'm totally screwed my pattern, and start to clean up, throttle up and turning back onto outbound leg, LSO is still talking to me. Could be maybe based on monitoring positon, heading and speed parameters (required with tolerance vs. actual values)?

Also, new attempt could be acknowledged (welcomed?) closer to the carrier so I do not have to fly out to at least 2.5 NM heading for the ship back 3 NM to be acknowledged for a new approach.

Just my 2 cent, great (but ruthless) tool tough ! :joystick:

Happy that you enjoy it. Thanks for the feedback! As for self-aborting the pattern, the easiest way is to quickly climb to 1300 feet or so, and it will abort right away.

As for the going around part (as well as the "ruthless" part), I got some stuff in the oven for next version. Stay tuned! :)

VERSION 5.0.0

AUTUMN UPDATE!! :clap:

PATTERN MODE, LINEUP CHECKS AND MORE!

attachment.php?attachmentid=220793&stc=1&d=1573252679

You can now download version 5.0.0 in the Original Post!

This is a major update with new features. It's highly recommended that you update to this new version.

The most obvious change is that the script is now checking your lineup in the groove. If you're angling or overshooting, you will get score deductions for it. I found myself sloppy with this, and the checks have now made me pay closer attention to lineup. Thanks a lot to G-B for the endless patience checking my plat cam screenshots, feedbacking and helping me settle on a reasonable difficulty level for this. As always, I don't claim this to work flawlessly or even remotely mimic the quality of a real human LSO. But it's in the ball park, and I don't believe it will give you any false negatives (i.e saying you were off, where a real LSO wouldn't have cared). I rather have it that way than having the script being overly picky.

The other, long awaited addition is PATTERN MODE. You can now use the F10 radio menu to setup "pattern mode" (global setting for everyone in your server). When this is enabled, you don't have to go to the initial to restart every pass, but can takeoff (or bolter) and go straight into the pattern by turning downwind at 600 feet. Hopefully this will make it easier for you to practice faster itterations in the pattern if that's where you are struggling.

There are some other things as well, please check them out in the patch notes below.

Btw, I love hearing from you guys, seeing your score charts and Youtube videos. It's really inspiring to see people having fun with it.

Have a wonderful autumn and keep practicing! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Bankler

CHANGE LOG

* You can now use the F10 radio menu to enable "Pattern Mode" where you don't need to go back to initial for every pass, but can turn straight to downwind after takeoff. In this mode 63 is max score.

* You can now use the F10 radio menu to enable Public Feedback. This print all aircraft feedback steps to all players. This is useful when instructing another player.

* Added lineup checks. You can now get score deductions for flying too far from centerline. 75/75 (in break mode) is still max score.

* Implemented settle-checks. If you have a very high sink rate crossing the ramp, you will get -10 points for settling.

* Changed order of flights and gave them unique flight numbers (Chevy1, Colt2 etc).

Enjoy!

BanklersCase1_5_0_0.thumb.jpg.adb21f1eb173ca697f9f9c15d7357a6c.jpg

Edited by Bankler

Good job on the update but I must admit things have gotten tighten for me. Center line grading and a whooping - 10 point for settling? I am looking forward to the challenge.

Does the public feedback has something to do with having your grading /scores saved for subsequent review?

I appreciate your efforts at keeping this case 1 learning tool improved.

Cheers

Thanks Bankler, this will inject some of the old enthusiasm back into the cockpit for me I reckon.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Typical, i just manage to get to 65/75, on version 4, and now i'm going backwards. :)

Seriously though, this is my most flown Hornet mission and probably will be until i can consistently score over 65-70 on every try, with maybe the odd perfect 75 thrown in for good measure. :)

Similarly this and aerial refueling constitute the most flown for me too.

Scores went down south in my few missions and surprisingly my drawback did not come from the centerline check.

A good number of functions added to the F10 comms.

Bankler please any material to read to get to know how these are used.

Hey Bankler, I just tried 5.0 and it is great. I too suffered from the VR related issue where the last couple of lines from the summary including [most importantly] the score was cut off in earlier versions. You've fixed it beautifully.

Now to get back to working on my scores.

Thanks again.