Index specs released

Cheb44

Yeah it looks very attractive but the price is a pretty big hit to get the full bundle.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah it looks very attractive but the price is a pretty big hit to get the full bundle.

I'm contemplating it , price not bad for headset & one base station (my setup is strictly for DCS) . But that is contigent on your Rift S review :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It seems they're planning on making money on the controller and base station, rather than the headset which has reasonable pricing. The low latency screen at up to 144 Hz sounds pretty good though, and it could be a game changer when coupled with 130-degree FOV.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Was that 749.00 usd all in?

Can DCS feed it fast enough?

That's headset and controllers . Base station(s) are another $150 a pop .

Should run as well as an Odyssey or Vive pro . Can refresh at 80 .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Was that 749.00 usd all in?

Can DCS feed it fast enough?

My guess is 'no', we are still waiting for the new terrain fix but rather not for some time.

120Hz is the accual max latency for now. 144 they are still working on as stated in this reviev. I recomend watching this material by 'tested'. Most comprehesive information for now.

Intel i9-9900k 5.0GHz · Gainward RTX2080Ti 11GB Phoenix GS · AsRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate · Benq 4K 32" PD3200U · Samsung 970 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe · 2x Seagate ST2000DX002 2TB · 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz CL14 · SoundBlaster ZX · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · SAITEK Pedals · RIFT S

Bit worried about zoom , though . Canted display introducing problem as Pimax ?

Wow. Close to £1000. That is an awful lot of money to lay out on a gen 1.5 headset.

Reverb has been pretty much the only contender for me due to the expected price of the index tracking solution. I was quietly hoping to be proved wrong, but alas.....

Too expensive and too low res.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

• ED Team

Reverb is my target still, index is way to expensive.

Depending on the price of the reverb I may end up settling for the rift s

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

People assume that it is just a Vive Pro. They have no idea. Resolution is not everything, XTAL has a better image quality than anything and does it with 1440p per eye panels. If the optics on the Index are on point, it is well worth the asking price.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

As I can see, you should be able to use htc vive lighthouses, so if you already have a vive or vive pro maybe you should buy only the hmd, or the hmd + the new controllers, containing the price. 144hz Is experimental feature, but the ability to play at 80, 90 or 120 hz makes It quite versatile, and the slightly bigger fov (they Say It depends on the phisical aspect of your head) Is something to look at. But if you have a Rift CV1 or a wmr device, the full package costs more than 1000 bucks and for a only slightly Better resolution than Rift s (2880*1600 vs 2540*1440) it Is way too expensive. Maybe it's quite expensive as a vive upgrade too, but Is something more viable since you don't have to buy the whole package. Play area and boundary settings could be the same as vive, so quite complex (Rift s is plug and play). At the end the visual clarity Will be similar to Rift s, maybe with a slightly bigger fov, and I believe very few people Will notice the difference between 80, 90 and 120 hz or ipd adjustment. I think I'll upgrade my cv1 with Rift s, valve index Is not for me. It has higher specs than Rift s but not that higher to justify a more than doubled price!

Edited by nessuno0505

EDIT:

I was in error.

Apparently old lighthouses are compatible! So if you are a Vive user only the headset is necessary at 539€.

Edited by hakjar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

You can only use 2.0 lighthouses so a regular Vive user will need to upgrade.

I did read that you can use the older vive units, but that you can’t mix them.

All the same, just like the Oc S, looks like we should be waiting for feedback from users, not necessarily basing decisions on just specs

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

The specs of Valve´s Index sound very interesting. Especially the 144Hz mode for panels and the lens technique the Index uses.

Both seem very promising for a generally improved VR experinece.

Of all VR HMD provider Valve is surely the most innovative one. The index was in developement since two years minimum and I believe, that Valve focused to invent real improvements for the benefit of the VR experience.

Resolution and FOV seems to be like current standard, but the new inventions the Index comes with, sound very promising.

A 144hz mode surely could improve image quality, maybe reduce shimmering massively, which is a common issue of VR visuals. But running the panels in 144Hz means the GPU needs to create 72 FPS*2 real frames with reprojection for optimum 144Hz mode, which is even for the most powerful PCs very challening with DCS. Let´s see tests, but I would bet, the Index will leave the other new upcoming HMDs behind with regard to potential image quality and flexibility.

Edited by - Voight -

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

As I own a Vive, and I am not really interested into existing room scale VR experiences available so far (I just play DCS and Elite Dangerous in VR), I think I will go just for the Index headset, while keep my lighthouse "1.0" tracking system and Vive wands.

Will upgrade to Index tracking stations and new controllers just if something interesting will show up, and enjoy now an upgraded seated experience.

Anyway, as I see lot of people trying to choose between the full Index kit or nothing... I wonder if I am missing anything that I should consider... Anything wrong in my upgrade path thinking ?

@itarrow

You´re absolutely right! The price tag for the headset only looks quiet moderate and not such overpriced like the HTC Vive Pro.

I wonder if they have integrated Inside-out-tracking with the two frontcameras, otherwise the frontcameras are more or less useless. If the Index could provide Inside-out-tracking alternatively, it will be best buy for first time VR buyers.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

@itarrow

You´re absolutely right! The price tag for the headset only looks quiet moderate and not such overpriced like the HTC Vive Pro.

I wonder if they have integrated Inside-out-tracking with the two frontcameras, otherwise the frontcameras are more or less useless. If the Index could provide Inside-out-tracking alternatively, it will be best buy for first time VR buyers.

No the Cameras are only for pass through

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

For people who already own the original vive, buying only the valve hmd keeping old stations and wands could be a viable solution; maybe less viable for vive pro owners (but lcd clarity compared to vive pro oled could be a benefit, even if smaller); by the way they can upgrade wands and stations later, if needed. But for people coming from oculus ecosystem, 1000 bucks is a super-enthusiast price tag (oculus learned it well when they lowered cv1 price and had a boost in sales); in addition while CV1 and rift s work well in steam VR, the contrary is not (officially) supported. I do not know if index price and specs are a good bet for steam, but we'll see. For what I'm concerned, I will sell my CV1 and buy Rift s: valve index price has completely cleared my mind on what to do.

No the Cameras are only for pass through

Thanks for clarification and the Video link - love these guys from Tested.

• ED Team

Disappoined that they stuck with the lighthouse tracking system, not a fan and why I don't use Vive or will purchase the Index. It also does not help matters that Valve has been less than supportive of us unlike other VR developers.

Index specs released

Disappoined that they stuck with the lighthouse tracking system, not a fan and why I don't use Vive or will purchase the Index. It also does not help matters that Valve has been less than supportive of us unlike other VR developers.

Yeah that’s exactly the same feeling i have...the price tag for the headset alone (with inside out tracking with the already built-in cameras) would not have been far from the oculus one...for flight sims (the only games i am interested for VR) lightouses and vr controllers are not necessary.

About the second part of your statement, that is probably why i feel the oculus software works best with DCS then Steam VR and why i preordered the rift s.

I am satisfied with the odyssey+ but i think that despite inferior specs the rift will work better and will be more comfortable for prolonged use

Edited by VirusAM

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png