F/A-18 vs F-16 Turn rate?

BuzzU

7 hours ago, SCPanda said:

In DCS, a Hornet can outrate a Viper without pulling paddle by rating at 350-360 knots (Viper flying his proper rate speed at 430). 

At sea level yes, above 10000 feet no.

Try clean or load up with 6 amraams and do the test for both jets at 10000 feet, and maintain 450 Knots IAS (not TAS) in a Viper.

Edited by karasawa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, karasawa said:

At sea level yes, above 10000 feet no.

Try load up with 6 amraams and do the test for both jets at 10000 feet, and maintain 450 Knots IAS (not TAS) in a Viper.

Why would you keep 6 amraams under the wings for a close in fight? It's not like you get to use them afterwards if the other guy jettisons his to get light and kills you.

Edited by Snappy

27 minutes ago, Snappy said:

Why would you keep 6 amraams under the wings for a close in fight? It's not like you get to use them afterwards if the other guy jettisons his to get light and kills you.

You can also test the clean case. No difference.

F-16 is more sensitive to external stores.

Edited by karasawa

I definitely notice a difference when I have pylons or missiles attached to my hornet, so I dont think drag is underdeveloped. Takes a lot more fuel to maintain energy than with a slick jet. Others noticed an even bigger difference when they have BRU racks loaded up with multiple munitions.

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Hi Bignewy and thanks for the response, I'm very happy to help and do that !! will be a pleasure to see the new viper updates tnx 

20 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi,

the viper flight model is work in progress and we have a flight model review planned, I have no ETA for you at the moment. 

I would suggest waiting until the viper is complete then review the flight model then, if you still think it is performing below where it should be we welcome your track replays and data so we can compare. 

thanks 

Bignewy

Hi Bignewy and thanks for the response, I'm very happy to help with that !! will be a pleasure to see the new viper updates on one the best ED modules  tnx 

• Like 2

:thumbup:

18 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

I definitely notice a difference when I have pylons or missiles attached to my hornet, so I dont think drag is underdeveloped. Takes a lot more fuel to maintain energy than with a slick jet. Others noticed an even bigger difference when they have BRU racks loaded up with multiple munitions.

Correct 

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

vor 22 Stunden schrieb Snappy:

I use AIM-120s in a turning fight if I get enough room for them, and I have never jettisoned AA weaponry. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting read.  

https://hushkit.net/2021/01/15/rhino-charge-flying-fighting-in-the-super-hornet/

Rate the F-18F in the following areas:

Instantaneous turn rates

“Outstanding. Better than anybody else out there we fought save the F-22.”

Sustained turn rates

“Good, but the Air Force jobs like the F-15 and F-16 were better unless we were completely slick (no tanks or pylons). For a while, our squadron had a jet with no tanks on it that we were using for airshow practice. We’d take that thing out and BFM in it when we weren’t practicing. That thing would eat even the F-15s and F-16s for lunch

Edited by jaguara5

F-18E/F are a different animal when it comes to BFM than the F-18C/D. Even though the flight characteristics are similar, the Rhino can pull more AoA and sustain it for better lengths of time.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

55 minutes ago, jaguara5 said:

Interesting read.  

https://hushkit.net/2021/01/15/rhino-charge-flying-fighting-in-the-super-hornet/

Rate the F-18F in the following areas:

Instantaneous turn rates

“Outstanding. Better than anybody else out there we fought save the F-22.”

Sustained turn rates

“Good, but the Air Force jobs like the F-15 and F-16 were better unless we were completely slick (no tanks or pylons). For a while, our squadron had a jet with no tanks on it that we were using for airshow practice. We’d take that thing out and BFM in it when we weren’t practicing. That thing would eat even the F-15s and F-16s for lunch

Written by an NFO.    

• Like 3

On 4/23/2021 at 10:17 AM, Youda said:

Be glad the switch increases the permited G load only to about 9. In F-14 you can still turn 17 Gs 😄 In F-15 12.

If the F-15 (F100?) was with full cockpit you'd also have everyone pull the VMax every time.

• Like 1

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

2 hours ago, SCPanda said:

Hahaha. Also super bug is different from legacy bug right? I mean we don't have super bug in DCS. 

Nah, he's just wrong and doesn't understand how the turn rate formula works. First dissimilar aircraft I ever fought in the Viper was a clean F.  He tried to go two circle with me.  It did not end well for them.

(degrees per second) = (Gradial x 1092)/KTAS

You can see G is a big part of the equation.  The only place a Hornet can get a better turn rate is where it can pull more G for a given speed.  

Edited by Mover
  • Like 5

5 часов назад, SCPanda сказал:

Is the turn time sustained or instantaneous? 

Of course this is sustained turn.

• Thanks 1

"Своя FM не пахнет" (С) me
https://dcs.silver.ru/ DCS World Sustained Turn Test Data

Asus Z97M-PLUS, Intel Core i5 4690K OC 4126MHz, 16Gb DDR3 DIMM 2250MHz (10-10-10-26 CR2), GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Im just going to throw this in here. I KNOW he didnt use the paddle switch, but this kind of proves my point the F-16 isnt much of a slouch against a Hornet. And before you say its a Rhino, no.

My wallpaper and skins