A/G Radar Worries and ED work overload.

Cintra

I for one am more excited for the AZ/EL page to be implemented rather than the AG radar...though it will be very fun to play around with. I already find the Hornet to be pretty lethal for AG in its current state.

I am aswell, AzEl seems to be an actually useful and often used page. Compared to AG radar, useful or not, which will undoubtedly cause a lot of the community to start moaning about how bad it is.

It seems a shame that the poll reflects the fact that not many people actually know what AzEl is and have therefore put it low down on their priority lists.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am aswell, AzEl seems to be an actually useful and often used page. Compared to AG radar, useful or not, which will undoubtedly cause a lot of the community to start moaning about how bad it is.

It seems a shame that the poll reflects the fact that not many people actually know what AzEl is and have therefore put it low down on their priority lists.

Agree with all.

And the flight model. This keeps coming up. Tell me, what EXACTLY would you like changed in the flight model, and which 3rd party dev is responsible for us not knowing better? Most 3rd party aircraft are not FBW and are nothing like the Hornet. I'm not saying it's 100% accurate, but no one who complains about it ever goes on to say what should change. Do you think the Mirage or JF17, both of which are harder to handle than the Hornet, is spoiling us? The Viggen? The Harrier?

If you haven't flown it or don't understand how FBW is supposed to work then you won't be able to know. To name a few issues - the inverse ground effect is basically still a thing since release and ED never bothered to come back and review the FM again since release. The fact that it has a pretty significant pitch up moment on flap deployment (again, talked to some Hornet guys and they never experienced this behaviour ever in real life). The "supposedly" flight path stabilized FBW will run away from you in the pitch axis if you dont constantly make small adjustments (it shouldn't and should somewhat behave like an Airbus in that regard), you command roll and pitch rates, no significant input or power change results in no flight path change. Then there is the quite high drag at alpha and when doing boat ups. Some of the standard power settings simply don't seem to work as of right now. There are also numerous smaller issues I won't mention here.

In my opinion a proper aircraft simulation has to have a solid flight model as the base and this should be the #1 priority, after all most of what you do in the (flight)sim is FLY the aircraft. The FM and performance corrections are very high up on my list, which also seems to be reflected in the community poll with more than 60% of people giving it a 10-8 in priority. Other respected developers like Heatblur or Deka have done or are still doing various tweaking to their FM to get it right.

Ive just had a thought about the pitch up moment when transitioning to landing config. Could it be that as the aircraft goes from G seeking to AOA seeking logic, it starts to seek an AOA greater than what it should seek for level flight at ~250kts. I dont know how it works in the real jet but I imagine it might seek the current AOA upon gear deployment rather than a set AOA that is greater than current (causing a pitching moment).

Agree 100%. The AzEl page and all the functions it brings will add another layer to the A2A role. I think that some people don't know what it does and others do and don't really care, because the current systems are enough for BVR in MP. For a lot of people, the B-scope is usually enough for them and even then a lot don't know what everything does there. The Az/El page is even more involved from what I've seen/understood.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Agree 100%. The AzEl page and all the functions it brings will add another layer to the A2A role. I think that some people don't know what it does and others do and don't really care, because the current systems are enough for BVR in MP. For a lot of people, the B-scope is usually enough for them and even then a lot don't know what everything does there. The Az/El page is even more involved from what I've seen/understood.

So what does this az/el page?

Cannot find much information searching on google.

I understand it has something to do with AA and the radar, but would like to know some details

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I understand it has something to do with AA and the radar, but would like to know some details

It's a C-scope radar display (azimuth vs elevation). I'm not going to post the link, but Google FA-18C "AZ/EL" page and you'll find a basic explanation on the VRS wiki. I can't comment on its exact accuracy, but it explains the page and what it does. Use the " " to only display search items that specifically include it.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

It's basically a boresight view of the radar

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

For me the ground radar is nothing more then a new toy in the Hornet sandbox.. :joystick:

PC: i7-13700K - MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio - 32GB DDR5 6200 - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 - VKB GF pro - MFG Crosswind - Msi MPG321UR-QD + Acer XB271HU - TrackIR5 - Rift S

I think people are too excited for mission cartridges.

Depends on how you run your missions. For our group it will be a huge game changer, instead of having to spend 30 mins plugging in waypoints at the start of our missions, for example.

Damn right they are:D

I don't care how they implement it... directly from ME or having to shove it into the jet.

Planning and setting everything up comfortably in my chair, outside of VR, then VR on...

I wish there was a quick switch from 2d to VR other then the check box... is there?

At least the mission cartridge will save me a lot of heartache every time I want to go use the jet in the game. As opposed to the A/G radar which will just be an intermediate step I'll use only when on a minority of flights.

P.S. I've seen a few Youtube videos of modern day usage of A/G radar (ODS and OIF) in the Viper, the Hornet, and the F-15E. The vids appeared to use the expanded modes and every video wound up with the pilots ultimately looking at the target either through their HUD, or through their TGP. Take that for what you will....

At least the mission cartridge will save me a lot of heartache every time I want to go use the jet in the game. As opposed to the A/G radar which will just be an intermediate step I'll use only when on a minority of flights.

P.S. I've seen a few Youtube videos of modern day usage of A/G radar (ODS and OIF) in the Viper, the Hornet, and the F-15E. The vids appeared to use the expanded modes and every video wound up with the pilots ultimately looking at the target either through their HUD, or through their TGP. Take that for what you will....

Won't save me a single second.

Any links to those vids? I searched and found nothing

Unfortunately I don't have them handy... and you can't search for just 'radar blah blah blah' because the footage is contained within various other videos, like cruise vids, etc.

Ultimately the angular resolution of the radar is going to be so much worse than that of your TGP, or your eyes for that matter, that you'll pretty much have little use for it as long as you can use one of those other sensors. Optics are just that much better.

Playing the old classic, Graphsim's F/A-18 Hornet 3.0 and Korea, I used to enjoy using the GMT mode to pick up moving convoys and tanks as well as SEA to pick out ships. I wonder (err..umm..GB/Lex :smilewink:) what real Hornet pilots would say about use of these two modes? Again, I think they will be a lot of fun to play with, but I don't think they are nearly as high up the list as many here assume. ED has done a pretty good job at giving us the essentials first. :thumbup:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Damn right they are:D

I don't care how they implement it... directly from ME or having to shove it into the jet.

Planning and setting everything up comfortably in my chair, outside of VR, then VR on...

I wish there was a quick switch from 2d to VR other then the check box... is there?

Could you macro that I wonder?

Depends on how you run your missions. For our group it will be a huge game changer, instead of having to spend 30 mins plugging in waypoints at the start of our missions, for example.

or spending 30 minutes manually dragging every single waypoint to a point and setting its altitude to 0

:mad::mad::mad::doh:

every video wound up with the pilots ultimately looking at the target either through their HUD, or through their TGP. Take that for what you will....

Because they're running CAS/BAI type missions in permissive environments with tightly controlled ROE as opposed to deep penetration strike missions in bad weather against a peer level adversary?

Airbag_signatur.png

Absolutly not. I'm desperately looking forward to that as I'm tired of setting my MFD pages, CMS programs, radar settings and others stuff manually every time I jump into the cockpit. It's a big source of frustration to me, because it's just really tedious and I don't want to fiddle with config files for that matter. The cartridge feature spares me a lot of frustration in another modern fighter jet sim that has this feature.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg