A/G Radar Worries and ED work overload.

Cintra

Hornet A/G radar news.

Hi pilots.

I recently posted a question about the A/G radar for the hornet and luckily NineLine has indulged us with some information:

The A/G radar is currently with the terrain team, I assume for optimization(?).

The JF-17 is currently using ED's A/G radar tech.

This is known information to some people but apparently not to most, which is why I am posting it here so that the info is not lost in my other thread. (Now everyone can calm down in that thread?)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The A/G radar is currently with the terrain team, I assume for optimization(?).

The JF-17 is currently using ED's A/G radar tech.

AFAIK, the JF-17 A-G radar is still heavily WIP, it has in placeholder a normal satellite view as rendering, that gets some fancy visual line-effect filtering to make it look "more of a radar".

The Heatblur has received it and then some other studio as well that I don't now recall.

But AFAIK, the tech is coming but not in use, so I believe that we are in phase where it is getting implemented by various studios for their modules and they are testing it internally in co-operation with ED.

So there wouldn't be any module at this moment where you would see the A-G in action as how it will come to be. AFAIk.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You do realize that Deka is using EDs A2G radar?

I don't see how this point keeps getting missed.

tenor.gif?itemid=5683012

It is unfortunate that people are taking the point of this thread incorrectly. Perhaps @NineLine, it would be best to maybe make a separate post about the A/G radar as I think your information about the JF-17 using the ED AG radar and that the tech is with the terrain team is being lost in this thread.

AGREED!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I would tend to disagree to an extent. I think Wags is right in that you're only really going to be using AG radar for quite a small subset of the AG mission set. The pod is the better choice for the majority of it.

I agree that the AG radar is something that needs to come but, like the man said, priorities. And let them optimise it too, god knows they get enough heat about 'optimisation' over on the reddits.

Personally though, I agree with you. Back in Jane's F-15, there was nothing better than radar mapping an area, finding your target, and unleashing a standoff missile at it, or even long range toss bombing. I preferred that so much compared to tank plinking missions.

Exactly. The TPOD is the preferred method of acquisition even IRL. After a week of the JF-17 people haven’t realized how overrated the Ground Radar is? We need to get the A2A radar done before moving to the A2G Radar, people complain about incomplete modules but they want incomplete systems :doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Quick question out of curiosity. What is the preferred weapon/sensor when it comes to ASW? Providing that more mission building leans toward naval assets in the future?

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

Quick question out of curiosity. What is the preferred weapon/sensor when it comes to ASW? Providing that more mission building leans toward naval assets in the future?

The Hornet is not capable of ASW. Preferred sensor would be sonar or MAD and the Hornet has neither.

In case you're talking about ASuW, then preferred sensors would be A-G radar and RWR and it is this task where the A-G radar really shines and is absolutly indispensable. Once we get the A-G radar for our Hornet we will also get a new targeting mode for the Harpoon that relies on the A-G radar.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The Hornet is not capable of ASW. Preferred sensor would be sonar or MAD and the Hornet has neither.

In case you're talking about ASuW, then preferred sensors would be A-G radar and RWR and it is this task where the A-G radar really shines and is absolutly indispensable. Once we get the A-G radar for our Hornet we will also get a new targeting mode for the Harpoon that relies on the A-G radar.

My bad Quigon. Yes I meant ASUW. Thanks for the correction. And yes that was my thought also about the A-G radar really being utilized then. I think you will see more mission being created towards naval warfare.

Edited by Raven68

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

My bad Quigon. Yes I meant ASUW. Thanks for the correction. And yes that was my thought also about the A-G radar really being utilized then. I think you will see more mission being created towards naval warfare.

Well, that's already the case since the Viggen got released, although not as much as I was hoping for.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well, that's already the case since the Viggen got released, although not as much as I was hoping for.

But more so now with functionality coming online with the hornet and the coming carrier module. If the carrier becomes the big fish in some scenarios this will prompt more players to protect it from other potential sea threats. It all depends on the mission builders. Just a thought.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

The only thing the Hornet needs to improve A2G effectiveness 10x fold is that HUD marker for where the pod is looking, could we have some idea when that might appear, far more important than any ground radar IMHO, would make engaging TOO 1000000% easier. !!!!!
Let's wait and see what we get with the next OB update on Dec 18!

The only thing the Hornet needs to improve A2G effectiveness 10x fold is that HUD marker for where the pod is looking, could we have some idea when that might appear, far more important than any ground radar IMHO, would make engaging TOO 1000000% easier. !!!!!

Yeah , i agree that should be the AG priority .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yeah , i agree that should be the AG priority .

Agreed. I'd much rather have HUD symbology for the Litening pod and an incorporation of the A/G mode while using the JHMCS (and mark point implementation).

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 4 months later...

You don't have to watch the whole thing, but in the beginning there is some discussion on the time it takes to build modules. It's all about man hours. What may seem simple to us, could actually be a very complex, challenging task. Not saying you have to like it, but waiting is all we can do.

Intel I9-9900k, Gigabyte AORUS Ultra, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 3200, EVGA 2080Ti, Samsung M.2 960 Pro 512, Samsung M.2 960 Pro 1TB, MCG, Vipril, TM Controls, SLAW device rudders, Obutto Revolution, Valve Index

To be honest, Ground Radar is so unimportant..... Don't know what most player think will happen when it comes out, but ground radar is not something magical, it is pretty bad at what it is supposed to do. Even if you find something, it will just be used to slew other sensors to a general area where they can use something more efficient to work with.

There are so many other more important features and small details for the Hornet, which will benefit the players tons more than a ground radar. Full HOTAS, fixed flight dynamics (although most people can't tell a fly from an eagle in terms of flight model and are happy, even with some of the abysmal work of some 3rd parties), flares, coordinates, small sub systems and the MOST important feature, arguably, the data card/mission cartridge or what ever you want to call it.

Lets you setup everything for your flight before you step into the aircraft, will make MP a lot more smother of an experience and easier on mission developers.

I feel like AG might become a priority, because of a lot of vocal people wanting it, without really knowing what to expect and when it finally comes out.... it will no where as useful as they thought and they will just bark back at ED.... That is unless it gets intentionally buffed, beyond what it realistically is.

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days