Anyone else consider DCS: F-5E as underpowered for DCS environment

The F-5E is a light fighter derived from a trainer, with two 3.500 lb engines (5,000 lb each when in AB) .. the MiG-21bis is an interceptor with one engine of 9,000 lb (15,600 with AB) ... so, I would say that The simulation is correct. 

• Like 6

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

I like this module. A lot. I like the aircraft it is modeled on, a lot. But it does feel underpowered vs. other types in its threat ecosystem. Mig-21Bis , Mig-21bis AI, Mig-23 AI, and F-14A AI.

The better counterpart would be a 70s F-4 Phantom - which is a much more appropriate counterpart to the MiG-21bis. As Rudel said, the F-5E was an evolution of a light fighter based on a jet trainer mostly intended for export.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

F-5E is, what F-5E is. And this whole "DCS environment" thing is, whatever player puts into mission editor, or whatever server they join. This is a sandbox, it has no set environment in my opinion.

It is a match for things like MiG-21Bis and MiG-19P I'd say, perhaps up to Viggen. One should not expect it to do wonders against 4th gen throughbred fighters anyway.

Also, it can mix it up against things like L-39, C-101, Korean War era birds. Also the MB-339, and A-4E mods. Think of these as bush-war, conflict between less fortunate countries etc kind of deal.

That said, I wouldn't say no to a refreshed addition to the module with more air to air wired pylons, and perhaps also mavericks. Just like the A-10C & A-10C II situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

On 3/7/2021 at 2:05 AM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

I like this module. A lot. I like the aircraft it is modeled on, a lot. But it does feel underpowered vs. other types in its threat ecosystem. Mig-21Bis , Mig-21bis AI, Mig-23 AI, and F-14A AI.

Flown correctly, the F-5 can compete with and beat everything you listed.  It will definitely be at a disadvantage in some respects, but not hopelessly so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Early Cold War Servers

https://discord.gg/VGC7JxJWDS

The F-5 is an underpowered aircraft by it's nature. It's a budget fighter. However the maneuverability is pretty decent for its time and it should be a good match for aircraft like the MiG-21 (barring AI inaccuracies).

One thing to keep in mind though is that tactics have a lot to do with who wins and who loses. It's not always about raw aircraft performance. Again the AI kind of muffles this with sometimes unrealistic SA and overtuned FM's that don't have the correct weaknesses to exploit, but you can still try to avoid a head on fight and negate many of the disadvantages of your aircraft.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Don't forget that it is a muti-role aircraft, the version we have I would say it is more suited to a CAS role than a true fighter. It can carry quite a lot of ground ordinance, it has very capable guns,  and flown right it has enough loiter time to stick around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 2:17 PM, mayo25 said:

The F-5E is a light fighter whom can beat all 3rd generation fighters,as well the 4th ones ( specially the JF17 ).

Youre crazy dude. The F-5E has only 2 old sidewinders while most 3rd and all 4th generation fighters can carry much more advanced missiles. Youre comparing planes made in the 50s to planes made in the late 70s through 90s. You're massive hate boner for the JF17 is bizarre as well dude.

• Like 1

No one cares. The F5E is a great little fighter, that's fun to fly and fight in. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2021 at 4:25 PM, Hamood said:

Youre crazy dude. The F-5E has only 2 old sidewinders while most 3rd and all 4th generation fighters can carry much more advanced missiles. Youre comparing planes made in the 50s to planes made in the late 70s through 90s. You're massive hate boner for the JF17 is bizarre as well dude.

Calm down mate.  He didn't say HOW they would be beaten; just that it could beat all third and fourth gen fighters. 

If you think about it, he's absolutely correct.  Any Fox-2 missile can destroy any aircraft.  Bullets in the air, can destroy any aircraft.  If the F-5 can get a jump on the 3rd or 4th gen, it can absolutely destroy it.

The F-5 is my favorite bird (aside from helos).  Sure I come out on the losing end a lot... A LOT; but it's so incredibly satisfying when the F-5 brings down a more advanced aircraft.  A good GCI and the F-5 can make dreams come true!  💘

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Baaz said:

Calm down mate.  He didn't say HOW they would be beaten; just that it could beat all third and fourth gen fighters. 

If you think about it, he's absolutely correct.  Any Fox-2 missile can destroy any aircraft.  Bullets in the air, can destroy any aircraft.  If the F-5 can get a jump on the 3rd or 4th gen, it can absolutely destroy it.

The F-5 is my favorite bird (aside from helos).  Sure I come out on the losing end a lot... A LOT; but it's so incredibly satisfying when the F-5 brings down a more advanced aircraft.  A good GCI and the F-5 can make dreams come true!  💘

Well put sir.

It really does boil down to the meat behind the stick. You can have the greatest bang-whiz aircraft of all time, but if you have a derp flying it . . . Well.

Same in reverse, you can have a supposedly outdated dinosaur of an aircraft hauling antique weaponry, but if the guy piloting it has any sort of moxie, well . . . . He will either make the opponent REALLY work hard for the kill, or he will spank the bang-whiz platinum plated new gen god plane and leave the pilot wondering what the f*ck just happened?!?

Old planes can really cause headaches for newer jets, never assume superiority.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

On 3/7/2021 at 2:05 AM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

It *is* underpowered. As in, the real aircraft wasn't what you'd call a thrust monster. It looked cool and handled great, but the F-5's pure turbojet engines were rather wimpy.

It was small, light, responsive, supersonic if you were patient enough, and as far as fighter jets go, it was pretty cheap. Corvettes look cool too, but don't expect to win any Formula One races with one.

No bug here.

AD

• Like 2

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

The F-5E can give the 4th gen jets a run for their money in a dogfight, but in a realistic combat situation, BVR is a huge problem. Its Sidewinders are OK, but just don't have the range, and no matter how good it can turn, it has trouble running from AMRAAMs or even R-27s and has nothing to shoot back with at that range. 

Even in a strictly WVR fight, the F-5E is inferior to fancy 4th gen jets under all measurable aspects of performance: acceleration, instantaneous turn rate, sustained turn rate, climb rate, BFM radar modes, you name it. But it's close enough to those jets that it can still be dangerous. And that's OK, it's not meant to be the ultimate air to air fighter anyway. People need to either accept DCS modules for what they are, and either fly in scenarios built accordingly or accept that airquake is just a fun videogame with good flight models, no more and no less.

• Like 6

Keith "Okie" Nance once said, the F-5 could easily be beaten by a Piper Cup or a F-172…but he did admit it was a fun jet to fly. He especially highlighted the easy and effortless operation of the F-5.

Edited by Rifter

• 2 months later...

The primary flaw in this module is the lack of a correctly functioning RWR. In an environment which heavily features multiple radar guided missiles (such as in multiplayer) this is a critical failure and makes the F-5e extremely difficult to use well when in combination of all its other issues such as Fox-2 limitations, etc. 

The RWR is there, and it should work well, but it doesn’t. There are many threads about it. The problem has been known for years by the developers, but inexplicably isn’t fixed. It is a huge shame, because it is otherwise an extremely cool, asymmetrically simple but efficient little jet.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

AKA Venturi

"You can tell a bomber pilot by the spread across his rear, and by the ring around his eye, you can tell a bombadier; You can tell a navigator by his maps and charts and such, and you can tell a fighter pilot - but you can't tell him much!" -523 TFS Fighter Pilots Song Book