Damaged Gear on Every takeoff (track of it breaking included on second page)

brodie4598
Go to solution Solved by brodie4598,

What am I doing wrong? Ever since the last updated, almost every time I take off I damage the landing gear and I have to turn around and land. 

In talking with people I fly with, it seems that for some reason my plane is behaving as if it's way heavier than it really is. While they can easly rotate at about 140 knots, I am having to pull all the way back on the stick at 170 and even then I am stalling. 

According to the loading screen, I'm under weight. Flaps at half, no brakes. 

Here's a track showing it. 

Look at my post further down of the gear breaking on second takeoff of mission. 

What in the world am I doing wrong?

Edited by brodie4598

1 minute ago, brodie4598 said:

I am having to pull all the way back on the stick at 170 and even then I am stalling.

From this line, the 1st thing to check is that the "Easy flight mode" hasn't gotten checked in your options.

Currently unable to view your track, but what speed are you COMPLETING gear retraction? If you are exceeding the limits that could screw your gear?

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

• ED Team
1 hour ago, brodie4598 said:

What am I doing wrong? Ever since the last updated, almost every time I take off I damage the landing gear and I have to turn around and land. 

In talking with people I fly with, it seems that for some reason my plane is behaving as if it's way heavier than it really is. While they can easly rotate at about 140 knots, I am having to pull all the way back on the stick at 170 and even then I am stalling. 

According to the loading screen, I'm under weight. Flaps at half, no brakes. 

Here's a track showing it. 

What in the world am I doing wrong?

takeoff.trk 357.08 kB · 3 downloads

What type of controls are you using? You are way too aggressive on the stick, look at the control indicators for your track:

And I did one real quick, still not pretty but you can see the difference... the Hornet wants to fly, you don't need to force it.

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Watched the track.... 

I don't add back pressure on the stick at 130-140... I usually leave it until I can feel the plane wanting to take-off... usually around 160-170.    Maybe the extra drag is messing you up. 

Edited by gonk

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

On 7/15/2021 at 7:18 PM, NineLine said:

You are way too aggressive on the stick, look ne real quick, still not pretty but you can see the difference... the Hornet wants to fly, you don't need to force it.

I dont normally do that - I have been flying the hornet literally since day one so I know it's not supposed to need that. The reason I am doing that is to get the gear up before they break. 

To be honest I have been focused on my speed but from what you're saying my speed is fine. Some folks I fly with insist they are easily rotating at 140 so thats where I was with that. 

Recently, let's say the last week or two, almost every time I take off, the gear break. As soon as they are seemingly locked up, I get the gear warning sound that wont go away. I also cannot employ any weapons (the plane behaves as if the gear is down).

13 hours ago, brodie4598 said:

As soon as they are seemingly locked up, I get the gear warning sound that wont go away. I also cannot employ any weapons (the plane behaves as if the gear is down).

I had that once recently on a carrier takeoff -- all three gear lights were off, but the handle was red and warning horn was on.  Figured it was a one off (or that maybe the random failure finally hit 😀).  If I see it again I'll grab a track.

I’ve found sometimes I damage the gear on carrier take off if I don’t get it up fast enough.  I’m guessing the gear is down above the max gear speed and something is getting damaged.  When that happens I get the alarm but the gear is actually up.   On one flight I looked under the plane and saw that I had ripped one of the front landing gear doors off the plane.  This is just a guess based on what I think I am seeing

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• ED Team

Gear should be up no greater than 250 kts, the doors can rip off if above.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Are you sure you are hitting the TO Trim button prior to take off? 

When you press that button you get around 13 points of trim up and around 140 knots the hornet will want to go up... otherwise you may see that will not happen so clearly or at that speed.

53 minutes ago, falcon_120 said:

Are you sure you are hitting the TO Trim button prior to take off? 

When you press that button you get around 13 points of trim up and around 140 knots the hornet will want to go up... otherwise you may see that will not happen so clearly or at that speed.

yes we are sure, you can see it in the 1st video. stab trim starts at 13 (which is too low, by the book)

What may be missing is the accurate setting of t/o trim corresponding to t/o mass. At least 16 degrees are demanded. If heavier than 44000 lbs it would be 17 deg and 19 deg when beyond 48000 lbs.

We can see his AoA in the HUD is increasing below 150 kts, the VS comes alive below 160 kts. All these numbers seem reasonable for a delayed rotation in case of omitting t/o trim and while having a heavy load.

Yet none of these should destroy his gear.

Edited by Rongor

On 7/16/2021 at 1:18 AM, brodie4598 said:

While they can easly rotate at about 140 knots, I am having to pull all the way back on the stick at 170 and even then I am stalling.

The 1st video showing your track actually doesn't support this. You are rotating short before 160 and also speed is increasing just fine. No sign of actual stall. The initial wild actuation of your stick was also damping out quickly. So far it's hard to see why you wouldn't have a regular takeoff with a correct t/o trim of at least 16 degrees.

Still it's unclear why your gear took damage.

The "stall" might be the AoA indexer alerting you not to yank that stick around that brutally. At time mark 7 seconds you have that stick deflected fully right (why?), and pulling it way back before put your AoA to 10 degrees, which of course invites some kind of stalling if speed doesn't increase (which it did).

yank

Edited by Rongor

15 hours ago, brodie4598 said:

I dont normally do that - I have been flying the hornet literally since day one so I know it's not supposed to need that. The reason I am doing that is to get the gear up before they break. 

To be honest I have been focused on my speed but from what you're saying my speed is fine. Some folks I fly with insist they are easily rotating at 140 so thats where I was with that. 

Recently, let's say the last week or two, almost every time I take off, the gear break. As soon as they are seemingly locked up, I get the gear warning sound that wont go away. I also cannot employ any weapons (the plane behaves as if the gear is down).

Weird one...  I assume you tested this in single player, starting on the runway or...  in the air, landing full stop then taking off again?

2 hours ago, Rongor said:

What may be missing is the accurate setting of t/o trim corresponding to t/o mass. At least 16 degrees are demanded. If heavier than 44000 lbs it would be 17 deg and 19 deg when beyond 48000 lbs.

These values are for carrier ops. On the field just press T/O trim and stabs on 12 is perfectly ok.

• Like 1

I did a little experiment. Took off with full blowers and let the speed build up to 350 then slowed to 300 and raised the gear with no problems, no faults or broken gear doors. The door will blow off 'probably' at around 370, 380.  The gear will still raise after hitting 400 (you have to slow down to fully raise it) but something will bend or cause the fault, besides w/o the door the horn will be hollering.

If you raise it at 340 or 350, the door will blow (when closing).

Edited by Gripes323

@brodie4598   So... have you figured it out yet?

I don't know why but I get intrigued by unsolved mysteries like this. Does this happen on every airfield (starting and taxiing from the same ramp spot)?  Only in the Hornet?

I wasn't able to d/l the track.

On 7/18/2021 at 9:22 AM, Gripes323 said:

@brodie4598   So... have you figured it out yet?

I don't know why but I get intrigued by unsolved mysteries like this. Does this happen on every airfield (starting and taxiing from the same ramp spot)?  Only in the Hornet?

I wasn't able to d/l the track.

No. I just flew online for about 90 minutes and this happened on almost all of my takeoffs. It's getting so frustrating. I do notice that when this happens one or both of the main landing gear doors are gone. 

In the takeoff track you posted above the gear doors fully close at 283 kts.

I'd recommend you try pulling back the throttle once you get airborne to slow your acceleration to see if you can them closed by 250 kts. Then let's see if there is still a problem with your gear.

2 hours ago, Cab said:

In the takeoff track you posted above the gear doors fully close at 283 kts.

I'd recommend you try pulling back the throttle once you get airborne to slow your acceleration to see if you can them closed by 250 kts. Then let's see if there is still a problem with your gear.

I'll give that a go - thats not something I have tried yet. 

Interestingly - tonight - it only happened on my second takeoff in the plane. Meaning after I rearmed and refueled. On my first takeoff (hot start) it was always fine. 

Edited by brodie4598

17 minutes ago, brodie4598 said:

Interestingly - tonight - it only happened on my second takeoff in the plane. Meaning after I rearmed and refueled. On my first takeoff (hot start) it was always fine. 

Post a video clip, external view (F2), from the time you start taxiing to wheels up. I'm curious to see what's going on.

As you can see here, raising my gear at 294 kts caused no damage.  I backed the power at 324 knots and flipped the gear handle at 294.

https://youtu.be/eDmubi87ub4

52 minutes ago, brodie4598 said:

Seems  that  the techs  on the  ground needs  to be re- trained on replacing  the landing gears, since  looks like  they  are  doing  the  same  thing  each  time  you return  the  plane  with  damage gears 🙂

10 hours ago, brodie4598 said:

Sadly, this didn't help. I am going to try and make a recording of it today. 

Another tidbit, this same thing is happening to two other people I regularly fly with - and it may also be only after landing and rearming/refueling. 

What changed is my question. If I knew what new damage model ED implemented a couple of updates ago I could at least know what to look for. I'm totally open to the concept that I have been flying this plane wrong for a couple years - but I know I haven't changed how I take off in years.