A simple solution of cockpit click in VR: Finger-ring touch mouse

Jenson

Hey guys, 

Recently I've bought a finger-ring touch mouse online, unfortunately the package was stuck at a distribution center over a month now due to covid lockdown in my city. But I can't wait to share with you all, before I test it. Basically, this ring mouse can be used as a regular mouse to click buttons, turn knobs and flick switches in VR, I think it's really useful before a well-developed hands-tracking solution. Let me what do you think. 

Price is about US$40 (269RMB), I couldn't find it in major online stores outside China, original link is here but in Chinese, you can use google translate (please delete if this is against the forum rules, sorry I didn't know if posting a purchasing link is okay or not) 

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.48b32e8dB2sF5d&id=632516378751&_u=421l59uf0c9

Original Post ↑

Edit on 29th May 2022 ↓

Note:

Things I forgot to mention in the video: 
pros: good battery life, good response and acceptable accuracy 
cons: the craftsmanship is not fine, low-quality plastics, no producer info on the package (looks like a product from a small workshop)

Purchase Link (40USD): 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32811235467.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.73b5759eH56i7d&algo_pvid=202dfb23-602a-407c-94bf-eafa9943435c&algo_exp_id=202dfb23-602a-407c-94bf-eafa9943435c-37&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"65047661221"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!USD!!39.73!!!!!%4021086d9416537809480781454e3f7d!65047661221!sea&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Intro & Review

Edited by Jenson
review comes in
  • Like 2
  • PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

Yeah they have em on amazon for $16US.  I could see it working with an F16 style grip but an F18 grip would be a non starter. 

Keep meaning to velcro a mini trackball to an actual kneeboard, which would work great in VR (especially if you take the nose gasket out so you can see under the hood)... very handy if you have live ATC or AWACS.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

1 hour ago, DeltaMike said:

Yeah they have em on amazon for $16US.  I could see it working with an F16 style grip but an F18 grip would be a non starter. 

I only use this for clicking and flicking buttons and switches, not used for throttle grip. 🤣

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

41 minutes ago, ApacheLongbow said:

So how is it?

Will do a review after I receive it. 

Seems maybe an inexpensive "version" of Miles Point Control system. I can not recommend Point Control enough, however there is a bit of a waiting list for it.  Absolutely loving mine.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, Jenson said:

I only use this for clicking and flicking buttons and switches, not used for throttle grip. 🤣

He means the Joystick grip. The form of the top of the Grip will collide with this Finger Mouse and make it uncomfortable to use. Also a problem for Miles PointCTRL. V2 is better, since it has smaller Finger Controll Units.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

5 minutes ago, dburne said:

Seems maybe an inexpensive "version" of Miles Point Control system. I can not recommend Point Control enough, however there is a bit of a waiting list for it.  Absolutely loving mine.

was my exact thought after seeing it as well.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

8 minutes ago, Gruman said:

He means the Joystick grip. The form of the top of the Grip will collide with this Finger Mouse and make it uncomfortable to use. Also a problem for Miles PointCTRL. V2 is better, since it has smaller Finger Controll Units.

aha, i see, thanks man. 

I'm indeed too blunt to start this post before i even try it. But as far as I know, it only activates when you're holding the side pad so it shouldn't collide with the grip or stick, anyway, i'll do a review later. 

Edited by Jenson

I'm looking forward to reading your review.

Any chance you can use it with the left hand so you don't have to get off the stick and don't have the mentioned problems?

A video that shows how this thing works with DCS-MFD-buttons would be very appreciated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mx22 said:

I think the biggest issue is that mouse device needs to be close to the surface to work properly. At that point, regular mouse is probably just as good...

Maybe not. I had a Logitech MX Air Mouse back around 2008 (before they inexplicably discontinued it). It worked great anywhere in mid air and was really accurate so you'd hope this would be using similar gyroscopic/accelerometer technology rather than surface tracking.

These seem to have been around since 2015 though, so quite surprised this is the first we've seen of it here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2C-43bKjnUI

Looking forward to the review

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

22 hours ago, DeltaMike said:

Keep meaning to velcro a mini trackball to an actual kneeboard, which would work great in VR (especially if you take the nose gasket out so you can see under the hood)... very handy if you have live ATC or AWACS.  

..talking about mini trackballs, got mine hot-glued to the top right of my stick. Not the prettiest solution but just a blob of hot glue gives a rock solid bond in seconds and doesn't leave a mark on the steel throttle when removed.

It's a short reach from stick grip to trackball grip, thumb works the ball and scroll wheel, left/right buttons are finger triggers on the front top of the trackball device .

Works really well for me in VR.

IMG_8711.jpeg

IMG_8713.jpeg

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

aha.  available on amazon at a slight markup.  it does gestures.  like salute, perhaps?  maybe i could put it on my middle finger.  you know.  for keeping up international relations

here's another

Gestures.... hm.  Landing gear up/down, canopy open/close (kind of a pain in some modules), goggles on/off. Salute.  Others? 

I guess capto-glove can do the same thing.  Question for all these things as a mouse-substitute is gonna be precision, recognizing most of us feel using a mouse counts as "natural movement" (I'm pretty sure my motor homunculus is holding one)

But for $40... shoot I'd buy that just for the gestures alone.  

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

26 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

aha.  available on amazon at a slight markup.  it does gestures.  like salute, perhaps?  maybe i could put it on my middle finger.  you know.  for keeping up international relations

here's another

Gestures.... hm.  Landing gear up/down, canopy open/close (kind of a pain in some modules), goggles on/off. Salute.  Others? 

I guess capto-glove can do the same thing.  Question for all these things as a mouse-substitute is gonna be precision, recognizing most of us feel using a mouse counts as "natural movement" (I'm pretty sure my motor homunculus is holding one)

But for $40... shoot I'd buy that just for the gestures alone.  

Lol there is a high precision finger mounted device, well two of them one for each forefinger and they work beautifully for cockpit switches.

Point Control. But it is not 40 bucks and ya gotta wait for a while once get in on the waiting list.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I used this one for a time, then I assigned a click mouse to one of my devide buttons and axis for mouse to one of my many devices axis trough the joytokey app.

I tryed to use my leap motion in vr but, due to my desktop config, every time I try to reach controls put mi gingers on my desk or on my monitor, so no usable for me, in fact I am selling it.

Edited by firefox121

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

hace 15 horas, ApacheLongbow dijo:

How far from the desktop do you need to be to use those?

With the mini mouse attached to my finger no matters how close o far I am from my desktop because I don't need to extend my arms, only point with my mouse or the blue cross in VR and click or rotate the device's buttons.

In other way, with leapmotion attached to my VR you must be far enough to extend your arms without touching the desk, the keyboard etc, in my desktop, unfortunately,I have the winwing orion base and thottle over the surface, in both sides of my monitor, so when I try to reach the buttons in VR with the leapmotion  I collide with everything.

• Like 1

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

22 hours ago, ApacheLongbow said:

How far from the desktop do you need to be to use those?

You don't need a surface to use this mouse, there're 3 touch point on the side of this finger mouse device, holding the left point will activate mouse pointer moving mode, which means you can use your finger's movement in the air to move the mouse pointer. 

Tapping on the middle point will be mouse left click and tapping the right point is right click. 

There's also a slider above these 3 touch point, which will simulate mouse wheel scroll. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am curious to see the review of this, but I have my doubts. As a “poor man’s pointctrl” it seems to miss the essential feature that pointctrl is calibrated and tracks in virtual space, so that you point more or less directly at each switch and knob. This finger mouse just tracks relative motion using accelerometers, so I am picturing a situation where you can move the mouse pointer by waving your hand around, but it will have no relation to the actual thing you are trying to point at. In which case why not just use a trackball. 

Ryzen 7800x3d, 64gb, MSI RTX4090 Suprim , Sidewinder FFB with F16 grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG crosswind pedals. Pimax Crystal

2 minutes ago, ApacheLongbow said:

In VR you can track the cursor using your "nose".

LOL as realistic as it gets...

Don B

1 minute ago, ApacheLongbow said:

I wish I could have a PointCTRL, but unfortunately, money is short and I can't afford to wait a whole year for it.

You can simply attach your VR controller to back of your hand.  I use those wrist support they sell at Walgreens.  Works great for upfront controls and MFD's.  And I use button on my HOTAS as left and right click.  Or I assume you can use these finger mouse for mouse clicks.

1 hour ago, ApacheLongbow said:

In VR you can track the cursor using your "nose".

Having tried and sold PointCtrl I actually find the whole looking at switches and using either my HOTAS or button box controls for switching them on/off or rotating knobs more natural. These things are down to preference and I accept I am probably in the minority here.

I use Joy2Key and can switch between using the Trim controls as trim or to move the mouse cursor left right up down to get to those awkward to look at places. I also use the Warthog CMS hat as left and right mouse buttons and mouse wheel. With depress as a recentre mouse cursor. It works really well for me at least!

• Like 2

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat