DCS: Normandy 2.0 preview

MAESTR0

58 minutes ago, DB 605 said:

New screens looks great and details are awesome. If only colours would be different. Thing is, when i see screen from a normandy 2.0 map i can tell in a nanosecond it's from a game and not real pic. Thats not a case with fs2020 for example. And all that simply because cartoonish greens used on normandy map. I'm going to buy it and enjoy it a lot, but every time when i switch from FS to DCS normandy colors will hurt a bit...

An MSFS2020 map graphics equivalent would be amazing and I agree, the 'cartoon' aspect is noticable when you look for it.

But, in it's defense of the DCS maps, my own experience is that they absolutely drift into the background of my consciousness and becomes something that is effecively not noticed at all when I get into the thick of it. 
Same is true for the cockpits as well. The new DCS skybox on the otherhand is probably Best in Class bar none!

S!

• Like 2

Good detalisation, texture resolution. But strange colours, like green filter.

Screen_230210_133844.jpg.d0ef1de0e8390633d0a4a6f081b82234.jpg

Screen_230210_133844.jpg.d0ef1de0e8390633d0a4a6f081b82234_1.jpg

• Like 6

"Рыцарь онлайна - капризный слепыш"

Ryzen 5800x3d, 64Gb ddr4 3600Mhz Cl16, RTX3080 12Gb, Acer Predator XB271HK 2160p

Regading Reflected:

He initially said it was "no way" he would convert his campaigns for the upgraded Normandy map- as it would be impossible to maintain both versions.

Later however, he said he had some "great news" for the new map- which I interpreted as they might very well be ported over.

The reason might be the the 'base' Normandy (which he uses) will be updated as well, meaning that the missions will be identical for both version of Normandy (Normandy 1 and 2).

If so, that is great news indeed.

• Like 2

@MAESTR0A lot of airfields used by the Luftwaffe would have shelters for their aircraft.  These cable-cantilevered shelters were most frequently what was used.  I hope this may be included on the map, or at least a new unit/asset that can be placed in the ME
image.png
JG26 Diaries Part 2, page 314null

• Like 1

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Reading this thread, there clearly a solid positive impression overall for N2.

The attention to the details mentioned above (and which clearly have been listened to) is paramount for the success of this map in DCS WW2 going forward.

There are a number of particular servers (private and public) which depend heavily on the ability to create a "day in April 1944" to fly their intended mission. Moreover, there are many more flexible mission setup servers of course which benefit from having the representations of airfields and AGLs as accurate as possible. 

I don't think it's over stating it to say that history is indeed being remembered via DCS and the WW2 maps and aircraft the discussions are live and engaging and the knowledge base is deep. 

The is why it's great to see the messages from Ugra (@maestro) and we're all looking forward now to N2 with anticipation.

S!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 3:40 PM, DB 605 said:

New screens looks great and details are awesome. If only colours would be different. Thing is, when i see screen from a normandy 2.0 map i can tell in a nanosecond it's from a game and not real pic. Thats not a case with fs2020 for example. And all that simply because cartoonish greens used on normandy map. I'm going to buy it and enjoy it a lot, but every time when i switch from FS to DCS normandy colors will hurt a bit...

I too wonder about the colors. Is it intensional?

There is a color mod for the old Normandy map, which shows it is possible do darken it, but they still go with this green tinge.

Now, I never flew over the Normandy in RL so I have now idea how it looks from above. Maybe it is so green? 

Or maybe not if so many people complain about it 

Edited by Koziolek
  • Like 1

Judging by the screenshots, it seems they have slightly changed the shade of green grass in N-2.0. The fields can be unexpectedly bright IRL, perhaps I was confused by the overall color of the map at altitude, when it seems that almost the whole of France consists of these strange identical pale green i?id=a7a07db4b615cd999a1cda08351603e3f92 and at the same time bright fluorescing fields... I don't know, maybe it was like that IRL ? But the textures are still a little unclear to me. In those places where there was obviously no special treatment of plants, we see rows in the grass... it's like a matrix artificial texture

image.png

image.png

But in general, I see a significant improvement in the map so far. Now I'm more worried about performance

Edited by Red_Pilot
  • Like 2

Good evening 🌆
We are very pleased to announce that the Normandy 2 map will support the new night lighting.
The interest of DCS users in this issue is high and today we are publishing images that illustrate the progress of work in this direction, and we hope that this will add a lot of joyful emotions to all users of the Normandy map.
UK

England4.jpg

England2.jpg

England3.jpg

England1.jpg

France

Paris1.jpg

Paris2.jpg

Paris3.jpg

Paris4.jpg

Airfield

Airfields1.jpg

Airfields2.jpg

Airfields3.jpg

Airfields4.jpg

Port 

Port1.jpg

Port3.jpg

Port4.jpg

Port2.jpg

📽️

Edited by MAESTR0
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 5

57 minutes ago, MAESTR0 said:

We are very pleased to announce that the Normandy 2 map will support the new lighting.

Thanks a lot 🙏 looking forward to this upgrade.

• Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I have to give KUDOS to the process of listening to the user base and reacting to that.

We, as developers, are usually faced with this dilemma: stick to the original plan (which is the only wat to meet deadlines and budgets) or adapt to the user requirements.  More often than not, this is a juggling process where you need to balance things a bit.

The level of user-based-improvements on these posts really do show a profound interest in giving the users the best experience, and not just get out the map as soon as possible to capitalize on the eagerness of people buying.  Thanks for this.  It is refreshing and the effort is well noted, albeit these type of forums tend to bring out more complaints than praise.

I know I have given some complaints about certain decisions, but the effort behind this is noted and appreciated.

Rafa.

• Like 4

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

not gonna lie, the new screens made me go 'wow'. It looks sexy.

I'm so tired of the dead cities at night. Yes, it's WWII and all, and I think it should be an option to enable/disable them, but I'll take the posted state just fine!

edit: just watched the vids. It gave me a proverbial b^$er. Very nice. 

Edited by peachmonkey
  • Like 3

1 час назад, Night Owl сказал:

Looks nice, but during the war cities were dark at night and not illuminated due to the strict blackout that was enforced in Europe.

59 минут назад, Charly_Owl сказал:

Could there be a mission editor option to set the map in war-time vs peace-time conditions (blackout vs night illumination)?

49 минут назад, peachmonkey сказал:

... i think it should be an option to enable/disable them, but I'll take the posted state just fine!

Airmans don't worry
We were very careful with the lighting setup, we tried to make the lighting not very intense, not as bright as it is in peacetime.
And in the default settings of 1944 the lighting is off, the lighting will appear only if you select 1945. Everyone can choose the lighting mode that he needs.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17

vor 54 Minuten schrieb MAESTR0:

Airmans don't worry
We were very careful with the lighting setup, we tried to make the lighting not very intense, not as bright as it is in peacetime.
And in the default settings of 1944 the lighting is off, the lighting will appear only if you select 1945. Everyone can choose the lighting mode that he needs.

This couldn't be any better, something for every taste and scenario! Awesome, thank you very much! 😍

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MAESTR0 said:

Airmans don't worry

What about runway lighting?

• Like 2

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

In N-1944, I really didn't like the texture of the sand. This is what added a lot of cartoonishness to the whole map. This time I am also concerned about the textures of sand on the map N-2.0. Compare with the photos, it looks like the textures of the sandy beach could be more diverse, with alternating dark and light zones: normandiya.jpg

Preinvasion_bombing:

Preinvasion_bombing_of_Pointe_du_Hoc.jpg

The coastline on this map is the most beautiful and important part, the part that we see most often. Will sand textures get more love in N - 2.0?

P.S.  I can see that devs are thinking about it, but so far it's not very similar to what is on modern and old photos

image.png

image.png

Dark and light zones are more linear and less chaotic?  Which is obviously due to tides and waves

Edited by Red_Pilot
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Red_Pilot said:

This time I am also concerned about the textures of sand on the map N-2.0.

The problem is overly transparent water in the DCS graphic engine.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

In the post I wrote only about the textures of sand. Water is a separate problem

There is a lack of foam water edge and other effects, but this is obviously a problem of ED.

But for example, on real sand we see a dark strip of wet sand, where the waves moisten the sand

image.png

In the screenshot, instead of a dark stripe, we see a light border, it is absolutely incomprehensible

image.png

Obviously, this is not due to the transparency of the water, at the bottom the sand is the same color as on the moistened part of the sandy shore

P.S 2  But maybe the devs were trying to simulate surf foam or something like that

Edited by Red_Pilot
  • Like 3

Hi
Today we will see what airfields we have and how many there are in total, we will take a close look at British airfields and fly over some of them.

Airfields in France

A1 Saint Pierre du Mont
A2 Cricqueville-en-Bessin
B17 Carpiquet
A12 Lignerolles
A14 Cretteville
A15 Maupertus
A16 Brucheville
A20 Lessay - оригинальны
A3 Cardonville
A4 Deux Jumeaux
A5 Chippelle
A7 Azeville
B9 Lantheuil
A17 Meautis
A21 Sainte-Laurent-sur-Mer
A24 Biniville
A6 Beuzeville
A8 Picauville
A9 Le Molay
B11 Longues-sur-Mer
B2 Bazenville
B3 Sainte-Croix-sur-Mer
B4 Beny-sur-Mer
B7 Rucqueville
B8 Sommervieu
Beauvais-Tille
Cormeilles-en-Vexin
Dinan-Trelivan
Fecamp_Benouville
Evreux
Guyancourt
Villacoublay
Saint-Andre de l Eure
Orly
Amiens_Glisy
Argentan
Avranches Le Val-Saint-Pere
Barville
Conches
Creil
Deauville
Essay
Flers
Goulet
Hauterive
Lonrai
Poix
Ronai
Rouen-Boos
Saint-Aubin
Triqueville
Vrigny
Broglie
Beaumont-le-Roger
Bernay Saint Martin

Airfields in UK
Chailey
Farnborough
Ford
Funtington
Gravesend
Heathrow
Kenley
Needs Oar Point
Tangmere
West Malling
Deanland
Friston
Lymington
Odiham
Stoney Cross

Chailey

Chailey1.jpg

Chailey2.jpg

Chailey3.jpg

Chailey4.jpg
Farnborough

Farnbor1.jpg

Farnbor2.jpg

Farnbor3.jpg

Farnbor4.jpg
Ford

Ford1.jpgFord2.jpgFord3.jpgFord4.jpg

Friston

Friston1.jpgFriston2.jpgFriston3.jpgFriston4.jpg

Funtington

Funting1.jpgFunting3.jpgFunting4.jpg

Funting2.jpg

Gravesend

Gravese1.jpgGravese2.jpgGravese3.jpgGravese4.jpg

Kenley

Kenley1.jpgKenley2.jpgKenley3.jpgKenley4.jpg

Needs Oar Point

Needs O1.jpgNeeds O2.jpgNeeds O3.jpgNeeds O4.jpg

Tangmere

Tangmer1.jpgTangmer2.jpgTangmer3.jpgTangmer4.jpg

West Malling

West Ma1.jpgWest Ma2.jpgWest Ma3.jpgWest Ma4.jpg

📽️

Edited by MAESTR0
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 10

21 minutes ago, Marez said:

Oh my God!!! This is incredible. It's going to be the best map in DCS. The amount of detail is insane. Congratulations for the great job.

This map will make me fly WWII again.

• Like 1

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,