DEVELOPMENT NOTES

Plexus

image.png

In order to entertain you while you are expecting the new DCS: La-7 module, we have prepared for you a series of short notes about the module development, about the aircraft and its elements, about personalities associated with the aircraft.
Let's start with a little comparison.

Against the I-16, a representative of the fighter aviation of the beginning of World War II, the La-7 aircraft is significantly more advanced not only as a combat vehicle, but also as an aircraft to pilot.

The first thing to note is the chassis of course.
Those painful multi-stage manual procedures to raise and lower the landing gear are left behind.

From now on, the landing gear is just controlled by setting the hydraulic handle to the appropriate position, which allows the pilot to focus on the task.

In addition, the aircraft has pitch and yaw trimmers that reduces pilot fatigue during flying, increasing the feeling of comfort.

The motor start-up procedure no longer requires external electrical power or manual spinning of the starter. The autonomy of the procedure is ensured by the onboard compressed air system.

The closed cockpit is also an important element in terms of flight comfort.
The only thing that differed the aircraft for the pilot in a negative direction was the presence of suffocating heat in this cockpit from a powerful engine, which the conditioning system could not cope. Fortunately, this aspect will not physically affect our virtual pilots.

Of course, these minimal conveniences were the undisputed norm of that time, but truly comfortable times are coming for connoisseurs of red piston aviation!

Screen_221014_191957.jpg

Edited by Plexus
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Looking forward to it, as I enjoyed the I-16 a lot, wish ED would create a WW2 version of Caucasus, even if not free … I would for sure purchase it 🙂

• Like 7

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

the pictures are amazing, gets me excited! Thank you for posting them!

one of my main complaints about I16 is the quality of the engine sound/recording. It's very quiet and doesn't convey the engine power that well.. Cranking up the overall game volume isn't a solution either since it cranks up the volume of everything else (becomes deafening)....

I hope the La-7 won't go the same route...

Edited by peachmonkey
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 9:03 PM, Rudel_chw said:

Looking forward to it, as I enjoyed the I-16 a lot, wish ED would create a WW2 version of Caucasus, even if not free … I would for sure purchase it 🙂

DCS WW2 Berlin? Almost all the WW2 aircraft we have ( + the La7) wouldn’t be out of place on a late war defence of the Reich map.

As we seem to be looking East I’d love a DCS P39.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mogster said:

DCS WW2 Berlin? Almost all the WW2 aircraft we have ( + the La7) wouldn’t be out of place on a late war defence of the Reich map.

As we seem to be looking East I’d love a DCS P39.

DCS:IL2 will be awesome as well 🙂 

• Like 5

i7 13700K,  DDR5 32Gb, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC, Pico 4 VR

[Deleted a scary joke I came up with, reminiscent of the Great Terror "esthetics". Sorry about it.]

It's fantastic that Lavochkin is coming to DCS. I-16 feels great, a crude but fun bird and a very good module. I'm sure La-7 will be at least equally good 🙂

Then all we need in WW2 is basically the final touch - 15 more aircraft modules, 5 maps, 32 campaigns and that would pretty much do for starters 😉 But you know what they say... the Rome wasn't built in a day. We're getting one module closer to the goal.

Edited by scoobie

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 4:15 PM, Red_Pilot said:

I tried the i-16 today and am thrilled so far! You guys are great! Looking forward to La-7, this is the best news of DCS

Mr Octopus’s I-16 is a lovely thing, It’s just a pity it doesn’t have period opposition.

Edited by Mogster

The next note about the module development is devoted to the "heart" of the La-7 aircraft - the powerful air-cooled engine ASh-82FN.

image.png

This 14-cylinder radial engine makes the La-7 an extremely dangerous opponent.

The basis of this technically advanced engine was the American Wright Cyclone R-1820 engine, produced in the Soviet Union under license, which has undergone many improvements and modifications, including the M-62 engine of the I-16 fighter.

Thanks to the ASh-82 engine the Lavochkin design bureau continued to exist (the bureau was on the verge of closing after the overweight LaGG-3 aircraft with a weak liquid-cooled engine was discontinued). It was the engine replacement that led to the implementation of a line of magnificent aircraft from La-5 to La-11.

In one modification or another, this long-lived motor is still found to this day.

Of course, the engine of the La-7 aircraft deserves the proper level of both mathematical and visual modeling.

The depth of visual elaboration is clearly demonstrated in the screenshots.

image.png

image.png

In the game, you can open the hood to look around the engine.

In turn, the mathematical model provides high accuracy of reproduction of the motor throttle and altitude performance. The bright lines on the graphs mark the results of the calculation of our engine model in forsazh (WEP) and maximum power modes.

image.png

It is worth noting that the forsazh mode is activated by setting the throttle to the FWD position at the first speed of the supercharger and automatically turns off when the supercharger is switched to the second speed, which allows you to safely and efficiently operate the engine. The use of forsazh mode due to the modernization of the cooling and lubrication system is not limited in time. And the direct injection system, in addition to increasing power, increases the stability of the engine during negative overloads.

At the same time, it is needed to strictly observe the regimes in terms of RPM and boost to prevent motor damage.

To control the engine and propeller, the following are provided:

- throttle handle (1)

- propeller control lever (2)

- lever for combined control of a two-speed supercharger and forsazh (3)

- oil cowl flaps control lever. (4)

- controls for the cowl side flaps and frontal flaps (mounted on the cockpit right side).

image.png

The throttle handle, as on the I-16 aircraft, has an extra stroke zone for air throttle direct control.

The composition of the fuel mixture is automatically adjusted by the altitude governor.

In skillful hands, the La-7 aircraft with the ASh-82FN engine becomes an extremely effective fighter.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, Plexus said:

The use of forsazh mode due to the modernization of the cooling and lubrication system is not limited in time.

With all respect, engine manual you preseted here says 5 minutes for "forsazh" (WEP).

ASh-82FN limits.PNG

La-7 manual says 10 minutes.

ASh-82FN limits_La-7 technical manual.PNG

• Like 3

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

5 hours ago, saburo_cz said:

With all respect, engine manual you preseted here says 5 minutes for "forsazh" (WEP).

Also looking foward to the La-7

But want also the see the source of unlimited use of Forsazh WEP Power?

Edited by MAD-MM
  • Like 1

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

1 hour ago, MAD-MM said:

Also looking foward to the La-7

But want also the see the source of unlimited use of Forsazh WEP Power?

maybe it's one of those 'cumulative' restrictions, i.e. the engine can run at full WEP for 2 hours before a full rebuild, hence they limit it to a total wep time divided by the number of the expected missions before sending it to a rebuild?  Because of some specific soviet maintenance doctrine..  i'm totally spit-balling here 😄

I remember there was a similar discussion about the A8 when it came out and people were upset that it could run at full WEP for an hour or so. Yoyo's response was "it's a tough engine, what do you want from me?"   😄

Edited by peachmonkey
  • Like 1

It's probably because the other WWII sim kills your engine the moment you exceed the magical engine timer, which is typically ridiculously short. People came to expect that in WWII aircraft. The time limits are advisory, an hour in WEP for a fresh engine is certainly possible. It does have an effect on overall life, but in a war, you use WEP as long as you need to. The life of an engine is shortened much more if it's attached to a plane that's going down in flames.

• Thanks 4

11 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

maybe it's one of those 'cumulative' restrictions, i.e. the engine can run at full WEP for 2 hours before a full rebuild, hence they limit it to a total wep time divided by the number of the expected missions before sending it to a rebuild?  Because of some specific soviet maintenance doctrine..  i'm totally spit-balling here 😄

I remember there was a similar discussion about the A8 when it came out and people were upset that it could run at full WEP for an hour or so. Yoyo's response was "it's a tough engine, what do you want from me?"   😄

This 10 Minutes usually not any hard time Limits, the Engine will not fail after exact 10 Mins. For example 190 Limits 10 min connected to the Oil Temp on the hottest summer Day more likley connected to Oil Film will not  lubricate the Engine sufficent anymore afte Oil starts to bubble. Fw-190 not even displays the Cylinder Head Tempretaure for the Pilot because the big Fan works pretty good that shuffels the Air with overpressure trough the Engine. My concern is People park the La-7 again near the Stall Speeds with full WEP "Forsazh" Power hanging in the AIr nothing will happen. Think with not sufficent Air Stream near Stall Speed the Oil Temperature should be rising pretty fast. Stall Speeds compared to the FW-190 is complete other dimension the in La7 without Fan Cooling.

Usually such limiteds are in place to prevent Pilots doing things like this "climbing full WEP" for excessive amount of Time.

Thats why i intrested in witch way or how they solved the WEP Power is not anymore concern in our DCS La-7? When it is even twice metioned in the Manuals Saburo provided?

• Like 3

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Actually "forsazh" means overboost: 1200 mmHg vs 1000 mmHg. Overboost disables when second supercharger speed engaged and there is no time limit to use overboost with 1st speed. So there is no need to have separate forsazh handle (unlike I-16).

Full WEP mode means overboost and overrev: 1200 mmHg and 2500 RPM (vs 2400 RPM at nominal). Overrev has time limit and RPM control has separate handle.

image.png

Edited by Plexus
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Plexus said:

Actually "forsazh" means overboost: 1200 mmHg vs 1000 mmHg. Overboost disables when second supercharger speed engaged and there is no time limit to use overboost with 1st speed. So there is no need to have separate forsazh handle (unlike I-16).

Full WEP mode means overboost and overrev: 1200 mmHg and 2500 RPM (vs 2400 RPM at nominal). Overrev has time limit and RPM control has separate handle.

image.png

Well, when i read the last La-7 news i was thinking that you mixed together information about ASh-82F (La-5F) and ASh-82FN (La-5FN and La-7).

You just proved that.

btw. forsazh was allowed after engine been running for 10 hours on nominal power setting max, after that few modifications could be done to "open" 1200 mmHg/2500RPM (factory setting was only 1000 mmHg/2400 RPM) ...

am looking forward to see this simulated in DCS W

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

1100mmHg @ 2400RPM = Unlimited Time  (increased manifold pressure without over-revving to 2500)

1100mmHg @ 2500RPM = WEP, 5 mins

hi there, @Plexus,  I guess folks are getting confused. In the dev updates you mentioned ASh-82FN, however the latest comment from you mention ASh-82 (without N) 😄

in any case I can't wait to get my hands on LA-7 !!! 

On 1/20/2023 at 1:46 PM, Plexus said:

It is worth noting that the forsazh mode is activated by setting the throttle to the FWD position at the first speed of the supercharger and automatically turns off when the supercharger is switched to the second speed, which allows you to safely and efficiently operate the engine.

- lever for combined control of a two-speed supercharger and forsazh (3)

image.png

This is interesting, because I expected it to be different as I remember the discussions about this back in the day of the old Il-2 series. Can't go back there anymore, RIP Ubisoft Forums... ORR was a great resource that's now gone. The thing is, what I have kept in mind was the Oleg Maddox stated that you'd get no Forsazh and only the first supercharger speed with the handle in the back position and either Forsazh or the 2nd supercharger speed in the forward position, depending on altitude and based on how the Forsazh worked by utilizing the supercharger to create that overboost. That statement was due to a discussion why the La-5F, FN and -7 series only would go to 100% THR and not 110% (as most other planes) while having the separate WEP button work and he also stated it would not technically be possible to model it accuately to enable Forsazh with the supercharger gear commands which is why it still used the separate WEP command even though the throttle quadrant neither has a specific WEP zone (the reason for it being maxed at 100%) nor any kind of mechanism that enables Forsazh since that's been done by flipping the supercharger into the 2nd gear position while being down low at altitudes where you'd not use the 2nd speed.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

8 hours ago, Eldur said:

This is interesting, because I expected it to be different as I remember the discussions about this back in the day of the old Il-2 series. Can't go back there anymore, RIP Ubisoft Forums... ORR was a great resource that's now gone. The thing is, what I have kept in mind was the Oleg Maddox stated that you'd get no Forsazh and only the first supercharger speed with the handle in the back position and either Forsazh or the 2nd supercharger speed in the forward position, depending on altitude and based on how the Forsazh worked by utilizing the supercharger to create that overboost. That statement was due to a discussion why the La-5F, FN and -7 series only would go to 100% THR and not 110% (as most other planes) while having the separate WEP button work and he also stated it would not technically be possible to model it accuately to enable Forsazh with the supercharger gear commands which is why it still used the separate WEP command even though the throttle quadrant neither has a specific WEP zone (the reason for it being maxed at 100%) nor any kind of mechanism that enables Forsazh since that's been done by flipping the supercharger into the 2nd gear position while being down low at altitudes where you'd not use the 2nd speed.

can only speculate my russian works also only with google translator 🙂

While IL-2 had also some special quirks that was also not allways realy true, could for example also not set MW-50 under full Power without blowing your Engine. They posted some catouts form the La-7 Manual in the russian section of the Forum, seem's to be the case 2nd supercharger Gear was not allowed in Take Off mode.

9. Unabhängig von der Höhe des Fluges im Startmodus ist es nicht erlaubt, die zweite Übertragungsgeschwindigkeit zum Kompressor einzuschalten.

seem's with the La-5 from what i can understand it was possible to damaged your Engine because you can accidently fly in "Forsazh" mode 2nd supercharger Gear mode. Was in the La-7 not possible anymore because of some automatisms. 

Probably they set the boost controller on the ground to what was possible with the engine when you raech your full Mainfold Pressure at 100% Throttel? Saw some post for example from Saburo that the engine was limited to 1000mmHG the first 10 Hours.

Edited by MAD-MM
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27