mytai01

I know F-16 uses AIM-7, so where is it?

• Like 5

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

The Gulf War era Vipers only had Sidewinders, with Sparrows being used by the F-15s. It might have been because the early F-16s had such poor radar that Sparrows were thought to be besides the point. Remember, at the time the Viper was still a cheap, lightweight dogfighter at heart.

• Like 1

• Wags changed the title to AIM-7 for F-16CM
  • Wags pinned this topic

I think all F-16 block 40,42,50,52 have the software to fire sparrow, and in theory it can be applied to block 25,30,32 aircraft (I’m not sure it ever has) However Sparrow requires a special hard point that most operators simply never ordered by most. Egypt, Iraq, Singapore, and Bahrain I believe are the only ones that did. Bahrain *might* have carried AIM-7F on their block 40 vipers in the Gulf war. There are pictures of the timeframe with the missile but no exact date. The jets where factory fresh and the missiles where ordered in the late 80s but nothing definitive.

Edited by F-2
  • Like 2

AIM-7s were tested and deployed on F-16A/Bs and the ADF in the SMS Via LAU-115 on Stations 3/7.

it was never deployed on the USAF F-16C's, as they had the AIM-120s from IOC onward, AIM-120s were Lighter and had better range/accuracy.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

23 hours ago, Hobel said:

For late cold war scenarios this would be fantastic! 🙂

It would not, as they flew with Sidewinders only back then. Adding Sparrows to them would be unrealistic.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

vor 12 Minuten schrieb QuiGon:

It would not, as they flew with Sidewinders only back then. Adding Sparrows to them would be unrealistic.

our version?
otherwise there are enough other F16s that have at least tested the Aim7.

thoretically possible🤷‍♂️

maybe one day, it would give our sanbox even more possibilities🙃

Edited by Hobel

43 minutes ago, Hobel said:

our version?
otherwise there are enough other F16s that have at least tested the Aim7.🤔

Indeed and if we get such an F-16 variant in DCS (e.g. the US ANG F-16A Blk. 15 ADF variant or some export variants), then it for sure should have the AIM-7.

The USAF Blk. 50 F-16 that we do have in DCS currently never had the AIM-7 IRL, so it doesn't have it in DCS either. Just like the F-5E doesn't have AMRAAMs in DCS, although some other F-5 variants do have them IRL.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gortex said:

A little flexibility for mission makers is OK in my opinion.  We are allowed to design all kinds of unrealistic scenarios in this game.  Heck, most of the multi-player combat is blue vs blue.  If someone wants to put an inferior missile on the F-16, let him.  It is less implausible than 90% of what you see in the list of public multi-player maps.

Unrealistic scenarios: yes.
Unrealistic aircraft modules: no

• Like 2

Tornado3 small.jpg

I was wondering if it would be ok for the AI F-16 to gain AIM-7 capabilities for different scenarios. We have and AI MLU, the Taiwanese version of which uses AIM-7 and a block 50, the Iraqi and Singapore block 52 use. Could the AI versions get this?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gortex said:

Some other F-16 block uses the Aim-7, we don't have that block, and so you say allowing that weapon for our F-16 is "unrealistic."  I think you construe that word too strictly.

It's correct, though. In use, mostly just F-16As ever utilized the Sparrow and in limited numbers relative to the fleet. In US service, only the ADFs of the Air National Guard. From early on, the F-16 had the AIM-120 AMRAAM in mind.

We do not have that mark of Viper and ED has outright said they do not plan to include it. As fun as using semi-actives are, it's not in the cards. The F-16 we have does not launch AIM-7s, it would seem. They've chosen to model a US F-16C, thus AMRAAMs, not Sparrows.

Sparrows on Vipers are, more often than not, export cases such as the F-16IQ of Iraq.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL
  • Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

F-16s that use sparrow

F-16ADF (USA, Italy, Jordan, Pakistan, Thailand?)

Bahrain Block 40 (no IFF bird splitter? Possibly during the gulf war, only AIM-7F operator?)

Egypt Block 40 (often reported that the block 32 can but it does not seem to be the case)

Singapore Block 52

Iraq block 52

Taiwan Block 20

I think all Block 40/42 and 50/52 have the software to fire sparrow but require special hard points that only a few operators ordered.

• Thanks 1

• ED Team

Hi all, 

we have no plans to add the AIM-7 for our F-16. 

This will not change. 

Thank you

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• BIGNEWY locked this topic
  • 7 months later...