DCS now supports OpenXR natively

BIGNEWY

Update, I could still fly around, run the benchmark in OpenXR, which was great. Then 4 hours later, no change in setup, suddenly I cannot even get to the Main Menu due to crashes.  It was fun with much improved frame rate. I cannot use this OpenXR any more. Shame.

Sorry, was very upset at the time.

Also, in case anyone wonders, OpenComposite no longer works.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants
  • Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Same here, not able to load a mission if reproj is forced on.

But also  not able to have more than 45 fps if reproj is forced offand helmet is at 90 Hz, even if I have 60 fps at 60 Hz on the same mission !

It's a beta and with last hotfix openXR is no more the default choice and things are working as previously, so let's wait next iteration. There is some potential anyway.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

I can’t seem to get this to launch without steamVR on my G2 no matter what. I tried fully repairing DCS and using the force Openxr line as suggested. SteamVR isn’t set as the runtime for Openxr and windows mixed reality is. Anyone know what could be causing this or what I can try next?

| Ryzen 9 5900x | RTX 3090 XC3 | 32GB DDR4 C16 Trident Z Royal | NZXT Kraken Z73 | 2TB Corsair MP600 NVMe | Reverb G2 | WinWing Orion Throttle & F18 Stick | Honeycomb Alpha Yoke | DIY Quad Transducer Pucks | F/A-18 | AH-64D | Loxjie A30 DAC/Amp | MFG or Virpil pedals??? |

I'm on a Reverb G2. I don't have an answer for problems some are having, but I have both DCS OpenXR (motion reprojection still not working) and OpenComposite (motion reprojection working) with 2 sperate DCS.exe shortcuts.  I call them DCS OpenXR and DCS OpenComposite.

1.   I uninstalled OpenXR Toolkit.  Ran a DCS repair.  Left OpenComposite Runtime Switcher as "Status OpenComposite"

2.  Set up a DCS.exe shortcut with the --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR command line as explained by BIGNEWY.

Now if I want motion reprojection as it was pre patch I switch "Always on" in OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality then start DCS with the original shortcut.  (Have not tried OpenXR Toolkit with this yet)

If I want to try the new DCS OpenXR no motion reprojection I switch "Automatic" in OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality then start DCS with the new shortcut.

Either way a 2 step process.

That will do for me until DCS fix the motion reprojection in their OpenXR.  I'll just keep updating with patches and wait until it works.  In the meantime the old method works.

I will say I did try both with motion reprojection off to compare and this may be subjective, but the DCS OpenXR looked clearer and smoother. 

Edited by Hamel
  • Like 1

If artillery is the finger of God, then fast air is Gods hammer.

PIMAX Users!

Remember to copy the openvr_api.dll back to the {dcs install}\bin folder after the update!

Otherwise, you will get sporadic results at best when trying to run DCS.

* I fussed for about 6 hours and almost rolled back until I found some old update instructions I had left for myself.

Now DCS starts up like a champ every time.

My procedure for starting DCS:

1. Start PITOOL

2. Launch OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality, click Mixed Reality Tab, then click Set as Active Runtime button.  Close the window.

3. Launch PimaxXR Control Center, Click OK on the windows Error Dialog that will be displayed, then select the PimaxXR radio button on the Control Center and minimize the window.

4. Launch DSC from the PITOOL > My Games. (I created a shortcut for DCS that used --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR and re-imported the program back into PITOOL.

Works every time now!

I hope this saves someone else from 8KX frustration.

Cheers!

Now im home from a long weekend away I have updated DCS, done a clean and repair also, added the OpenXR command line to a DCS.exe shortcut as advised and fired up DCS on my G2, happy to report no issues at all and VR is working well in my go to test mission, then added back in my OpenXR Toolkit app settings as I had set them back the defaults and gained another 15 FPS

OpenXR Toolkit settings (done inside the game with CTRL F2

Enable FSR and set it 80%
Set Sharping at 60%
Set Framelock to 60

Restarted the game and now runs just as good as it was with Opencomposite prior to the patch debacle and then hotfix

I have had to create an instruction step by step on our Discord to help the none tech savvy out who were using Opencomposite which seems to have helped most get it running.

Edited by Hotdognz
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, TKu said:

Works great as intended.

I hope sone users would learn what a beta program means. But I hope ED can iron out those issues for them soon as well.

Which headset? SteamVR or what?

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

While a bit bumpy getting there, DCS with native OpenXR is an improvement for me. As TKu says above, its a Beta release so we can expect issues, however, lessons can be learned from the angst and confusion generated by this big change.  Some forewarning and explanation of how to set it up would have been useful.

• Like 1

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

4 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

Now im home from a long weekend away I have updated DCS, done a clean and repair also, added the OpenXR command line to a DCS.exe shortcut as advised and fired up DCS on my G2, happy to report no issues at all and VR is working well in my go to test mission, then added back in my OpenXR Toolkit app settings as I had set them back the defaults and gained another 15 FPS

I have got a bit different story.

if I run the program with the shortcut + command line , I have to set the toolkit in a safe mode , otherwise the DCS just crashes . I have repeatedly tested this scenario. 

Alternatively I can run the program installed the hotfix patch ( the latest patch) with toolkit through the OpenComposite running time. I have got exactly the same FPS figure  as what I got before installing the  "broken" patch . By this method , the toolkit and the program run normally for some reason.

that is a bit strange.

Edited by dock999

I'm lost on this OpenXR stuff. My Oculus client is set to "Oculus is set as the active OpenXR runtime," but I understand we need to add a command to the .exe properties to force OpenXR. Are those the only two steps for Quest 2? There's so many posts about complex dances with 3rd party software so I'm lost.

7 hours ago, Ajax_ said:

PIMAX Users!

Remember to copy the openvr_api.dll back to the {dcs install}\bin folder after the update!

Otherwise, you will get sporadic results at best when trying to run DCS.

* I fussed for about 6 hours and almost rolled back until I found some old update instructions I had left for myself.

Now DCS starts up like a champ every time.

My procedure for starting DCS:

1. Start PITOOL

2. Launch OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality, click Mixed Reality Tab, then click Set as Active Runtime button.  Close the window.

3. Launch PimaxXR Control Center, Click OK on the windows Error Dialog that will be displayed, then select the PimaxXR radio button on the Control Center and minimize the window.

4. Launch DSC from the PITOOL > My Games. (I created a shortcut for DCS that used --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR and re-imported the program back into PITOOL.

Works every time now!

I hope this saves someone else from 8KX frustration.

Cheers!

Thank you for your suggestion. I did try this approach and it didn’t work for me as I couldn’t get back into VR. I reverted to the DCS shortcut with command line and re imported it into Pitool. 

The downside is SteamVR powers up albeit with OpenXR runtime but I am still missing 10-12 FPS. It’s the only way I can play Multiplayer. Using the DCS shortcut direct only works fully in SP for me. 

Fingers crossed ED are able to offer a comprehensive fix in the coming week. 

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

9 minutes ago, Nealius said:

I'm lost on this OpenXR stuff. My Oculus client is set to "Oculus is set as the active OpenXR runtime," but I understand we need to add a command to the .exe properties to force OpenXR. Are those the only two steps for Quest 2? There's so many posts about complex dances with 3rd party software so I'm lost.

Quest2 can run both OpenVR and OpenXR without additional SW. With the latest patch if you do not add any switches to DCS.exe then it will run OpenVR (like it was all the time before 2.8.2). If you use the switch for OpenXR then it will run DCS OpenXR. With the latter you will have the option to use OpenXR toolkit to enable additional functions like upscaling or sharpening, color saturation etc.

Hope that helps

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

I cannot speak for others, running OB is a consciously chosen path, which means taking risks, accepting there are chances reinstallation is needed to taste new stuff early. Upset yes, disappointment, yes, but I can always fall back to SteamVR and VRNeckSafer.

I hope people here understand reporting != complaining and ED will iron out all the issues some day.

BTW, always submit crash reports and open support ticket where necessary.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

34 minutes ago, diamond26 said:

Quest2 can run both OpenVR and OpenXR without additional SW. With the latest patch if you do not add any switches to DCS.exe then it will run OpenVR (like it was all the time before 2.8.2). If you use the switch for OpenXR then it will run DCS OpenXR. With the latter you will have the option to use OpenXR toolkit to enable additional functions like upscaling or sharpening, color saturation etc.

Hope that helps

The "switch" being "Oculus set as active OpenXR runtime" setting? I tried appending the forced OpenXR command to DCS.exe and got "unrecognized command" error.

On 1/26/2023 at 8:52 AM, BIGNEWY said:

If you need to force openXR in DCS command parameter is --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

Nerdy question, are the switches case sensitive?

I am wonder if I reset the GPU voltage back to normal, will it help?

8 hours ago, Hamel said:

I'm on a Reverb G2. I don't have an answer for problems some are having, but I have both DCS OpenXR (motion reprojection still not working) and OpenComposite (motion reprojection working) with 2 sperate DCS.exe shortcuts.  I call them DCS OpenXR and DCS OpenComposite.

1.   I uninstalled OpenXR Toolkit.  Ran a DCS repair.  Left OpenComposite Runtime Switcher as "Status OpenComposite"

2.  Set up a DCS.exe shortcut with the --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR command line as explained by BIGNEWY.

Now if I want motion reprojection as it was pre patch I switch "Always on" in OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality then start DCS with the original shortcut.  (Have not tried OpenXR Toolkit with this yet)

If I want to try the new DCS OpenXR no motion reprojection I switch "Automatic" in OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality then start DCS with the new shortcut.

Either way a 2 step process.

That will do for me until DCS fix the motion reprojection in their OpenXR.  I'll just keep updating with patches and wait until it works.  In the meantime the old method works.

I will say I did try both with motion reprojection off to compare and this may be subjective, but the DCS OpenXR looked clearer and smoother. 

You also need to swap openvr_api.dll to get motion smoothing working in OpenComposite.
Fact is, DCS openXR method gives perceptibly better performance than OC with turbo/smoothing off. If you pile DLSS, MT, Vulkan on it..

Hi,

Starting DCS with:
"C:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

I get this in the log:
2023-01-29 09:53:39.772 INFO    VISUALIZER (Main): LAUNCH IN VR OpenXR: SteamVR/OpenXR : oculus

The problem is that the DCS menu and aircraft is positioned ca 1-2 meters too low to the VR world. Recentering in Steam does not fix this. It does recenter me correctly in the Steam VR world and if the azimut is wrong, but DCS itself is too low. Se pictures below. Any ideas?

Makes for an interesting flying experience though... 😉

(BTW: I'm using a Pico 4 with Virtual Desktop and a RTX 4090. Works great apart from this. Love the lenses, the wireless and the active cooling!)

Screenshot_VirtualDesktop.Android_2023.01.29-10.58.25.352_014.jpeg

Screenshot_VirtualDesktop.Android_2023.01.29-10.55.46.299_433.jpeg

Screenshot_VirtualDesktop.Android_2023.01.29-10.58.07.623_037.jpeg

• Like 1

HW: Intel i5 13600K, 64Gb DDR5, RTX 4090, Winwing Orion 2 HOTAS, TM TPR rudderpedals, Pico 4 VR+VirtualDesktop (VDXR), Win11
DCS: F-5, F-86, F-16, F-15E, FA-18, F-14, Harrier, Viggen, M-2000C, A-10C, AH-64, UH-1, Mi-8, Mi-24, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mig-21, P-47, P-51, Spitfire, Mosquito, Bf-109, Fw-190A, Fw-190D, Yak-52, C101, all maps & tech, SuperCarrier

Have you recentred in DCS - default numpad 5

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

@Baldrick33 >Have you recentred in DCS - default numpad 5

Ehh...no, actually 😉

And that did the trick. Thanks, never occurred to me to try that one (a bit new to this VR thing 🙂)

Looks like I have to do it every time I restart start, but maybe there is some way to save the default position?

HW: Intel i5 13600K, 64Gb DDR5, RTX 4090, Winwing Orion 2 HOTAS, TM TPR rudderpedals, Pico 4 VR+VirtualDesktop (VDXR), Win11
DCS: F-5, F-86, F-16, F-15E, FA-18, F-14, Harrier, Viggen, M-2000C, A-10C, AH-64, UH-1, Mi-8, Mi-24, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mig-21, P-47, P-51, Spitfire, Mosquito, Bf-109, Fw-190A, Fw-190D, Yak-52, C101, all maps & tech, SuperCarrier

8 hours ago, Hillman said:

Looks like I have to do it every time I restart start, but maybe there is some way to save the default position?

I just have it bound to a button and press it once DCS starts.

Edited by Baldrick33

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

It is an interesting behavior between DCS World and OpenXR by default. Dunno why. 🙂

2 hours ago, Hillman said:

Hi,

Starting DCS with:
"C:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

I get this in the log:
2023-01-29 09:53:39.772 INFO    VISUALIZER (Main): LAUNCH IN VR OpenXR: SteamVR/OpenXR : oculus

The problem is that the DCS menu and aircraft is positioned ca 1-2 meters too low to the VR world. Recentering in Steam does not fix this. It does recenter me correctly in the Steam VR world and if the azimut is wrong, but DCS itself is too low. Se pictures below. Any ideas?

Makes for an interesting flying experience though... 😉

(BTW: I'm using a Pico 4 with Virtual Desktop and a RTX 4090. Works great apart from this. Love the lenses, the wireless and the active cooling!)

Screenshot_VirtualDesktop.Android_2023.01.29-10.58.25.352_014.jpeg

Screenshot_VirtualDesktop.Android_2023.01.29-10.55.46.299_433.jpeg

Screenshot_VirtualDesktop.Android_2023.01.29-10.58.07.623_037.jpeg

Notice only: if you see this screen of Steam you dont use OpenXR as native system for VR. Native OpenXR for DCS doesnt open SteamVR, it even kills the SteamVR if it works at the beginning.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

23 hours ago, Jive said:

It all works fine as before, including MR, if you revert to the previous methods for using OpenComposite. 
ie. not having a command line in the shortcut and then replacing the openvr_api.dll with the OpenComposite one https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR

Sorry, I could not find any "openvr_api.dll" in that link. In what folder should I look?

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

I'm still confused.
What does OpenCompsite really do? And where do the "64bit file" that it downloads when it updates go?
And what is the significance of that "openvr_api.dll from 2021? (In the BIN folder of DCS)
Am I using both the WMR and openXR or is it OpenVR?
(Yes, I just replaced Quest2 with Reverb G2 this week, so it is all new to me)

Open DLL.jpg

OpenComposite.jpg

Edited by Moxica

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar