MT freezes even in main menu

7 hours ago, AdrianL said:

See this post.  For me it was CPU 8 but see if you have a maxed out CPU. If so, try to remove affinity from that CPU

I can confirm this helps.

I was having hitching on my Intel 7700k, and removed affinity from Core 7(the last core), and 90%+ of the hitching stopped.

Exactly my issue right now. This was the same thing with the previous DCS version. I thought with 2.9 it will be gone, but its still there. I played few hours and sometimes no issue then sometime i got freeze for 20 Seconds (that was weird) and in general i got simultaneous quick freezes here and there. 

What i did:

• Reinstalled DCS from zero in my new m.2 SSD (7GB/Sec Transfer)
  • I dont use any freeware mods. I use only modules i purchased in ED Shop
  • I dont use paints

My third part software using when flying:

• TrackIR5
  • HF8 Pad

My Setup:

• RTX 4090
  • i9 13900K (no thermal throttling, my temp is ca. 75 degree while playing DCS)
  • CPU PL1 and PL2 are not limited!
  • 64GB DDR5 6000 MHz
  • Windows 11 Home
  • PSU 1600W
  • 34" 4K 165Hz Monitor

DCS Settings:

• Everything possible maxed out. Works very well. Since DLSS available, i have way much FPS and everything looks like in a dream. 
  • I play with MT, did not test the SP

I have no idea, what is the cause of the freeze. If i open the FPS window in DCS, everything looks perfect, no frame drops or weird behaviour, simply i can see the freeze there in this FPS window going the white line up and down. I read that AMD users dont have this issue, most of the people who have the 13 Gen CPU suffer from this issue. Maybe the MT have some conflicts with the newest CPU Core/Threads or what ever. I just hope soon this will go away.

Edited by Omega1-1
  • Like 1

UPDATE:

I did several tests on all maps and all kind of different jets with MT (Multi Threading) and i can just confirm, that the issue is because of the MT. Then i started DCS with the normal launcher and all issues were gone. For sure, you will have ca. 40 FPS less than with MT, but in my case i have with DLSS 150 FPS, so i cant complain. 

I would say, we should use the normal launcher and give ED the time they need to fix MT. We all know MT is new and still in development, so it's not perfect. Yes it works, but somehow it's not polished yet and somehow High-End CPUs are not working well with MT. For me its important to see, that MT actually works, even now with DLSS and i trust ED, they are working on it, no question.

So i will move now to the default launcher and simply enjoy the SIM. Later, when they fix it, i can't wait to switch to MT.

• Like 3

12900k, 64gb ram, 4090, 980 ssd. Page file win11, dcs all on same ssd.

Single player maps. I aim for 60fps locked with vsync. Not bothered about 200+ fps contests.

Same as above posts. Frequent and random stuttering. Same freezing in game and menu.

Core 8 pegged at 100%. Have tried the affinity fix, seems to help out with freezing, but stuttering continues as another cores (sometimes 9 or 10 or 13) becomes equally overloaded. Other cores no load at all.

Single thread offered butter smooth locked performance in both 2d & vr.

MT performance is pretty dire for me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Omega1-1 said:

UPDATE:

I did several tests on all maps and all kind of different jets with MT (Multi Threading) and i can just confirm, that the issue is because of the MT. Then i started DCS with the normal launcher and all issues were gone. For sure, you will have ca. 40 FPS less than with MT, but in my case i have with DLSS 150 FPS, so i cant complain.

If you are using DLSS you are using MT not ST.  They changed the path for the shortcut in standalone so if you were using the shortcut and it was launching ST before it is now launching MT.  Not clear from your post whether you've gone back to ST or not since you seem to be implying you're using DLSS and getting 150 FPS currently.  Check the bottom right of the splash screen and it will say MT PREVIEW and the version number if you're on MT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omega1-1 said:

UPDATE:

I would say, we should use the normal launcher and give ED the time they need to fix MT. We all know MT is new and still in development, so it's not perfect. Yes it works, but somehow it's not polished yet and somehow High-End CPUs are not working well with MT. For me its important to see, that MT actually works, even now with DLSS and i trust ED, they are working on it, no question.

So i will move now to the default launcher and simply enjoy the SIM. Later, when they fix it, i can't wait to switch to MT.

ST version hasnt this issue, only MT (and not always). Don't jump to conclusions too quickly ;).

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

vor 34 Minuten schrieb rob10:

If you are using DLSS you are using MT not ST.  They changed the path for the shortcut in standalone so if you were using the shortcut and it was launching ST before it is now launching MT.  Not clear from your post whether you've gone back to ST or not since you seem to be implying you're using DLSS and getting 150 FPS currently.  Check the bottom right of the splash screen and it will say MT PREVIEW and the version number if you're on MT.

Yes you are right, it was 150 FPS without DLSS, i saw later that when i use ST DLSS is grey and its not available. I did both shortcuts from the folder, so i can switch now to the right ST and MT.

vor 25 Minuten schrieb YoYo:

ST version hasnt this issue, only MT (and not always). Don't jump to conclusions too quickly ;).

Well since 2.9 on all other maps i have freezing every 2-3 seconds, then it works for some minutes. If i look behind (left or right) then the game almost freeze. When i go back to menu, even there i need 5 minutes to be able to click something. Right now this is the worst scenario in DCS.

Then i "jumped" to the ST launcher, and all issues disappeared, at least for me. A little bit less FPS, but working very nice and no freezes any more. I never said, that the ST has those issues, i said MT is "broken". 

So what is your conclusion now? Try to not jump too high 😉

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Omega1-1 said:

Well since 2.9 on all other maps i have freezing every 2-3 seconds, then it works for some minutes. If i look behind (left or right) then the game almost freeze. When i go back to menu, even there i need 5 minutes to be able to click something. Right now this is the worst scenario in DCS.

I observed nearly the same behaviour. Current dcs.log attached.

dcs.log

• Like 1

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

Ditto here. I have had MT stutters and freezes for a few updates now. At first it worked wonderfully. I have been using the non-mt since the issues started, and they just never fix anything. 

I am fine with non-mt but I worry at some point they will only have the MT version and I will be fu$&ed 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, C229 Kiwi said:

OK, so if that helps, what is the issue causing it and are ED aware?

There's an internal report about this issue. I hope devs will soon come with a solution.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Im getting nasty stuttering in just the main menu screen, fluctuating between 30fps and 120fps continuously. Thats insane. Mind you Im only using MSAA x4. Give it a minute to load. Its just as bad in the sim. Using in MT.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Can confirm stuttering in main menu and on populated servers . With  MT.exe . Still testing. 

• Like 1

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

May I ask, where the exe. for running 2.9 on single and not multi thread is?

I was unaware that I could start 2.9 in single thread mode.

In anticipation.......thank you.

Edit......

I will try the cpu core 8 infinity removal method as suggested by others here and report back.

Edited by Cyborg71
Additional comment

4 hours ago, Ballinger French said:

Has anyone with this issue tried running Process Lasso to manage CPU affinity for DCS 2.9?  

yes i did.  did not  " work" for me .  Still stuttering

2 hours ago, Cyborg71 said:

May I ask, where the exe. for running 2.9 on single and not multi thread is?

I was unaware that I could start 2.9 in single thread mode.

In anticipation.......thank you.

Edit......

I will try the cpu core 8 infinity removal method as suggested by others here and report back.

in your DCS mainfolder ->  BIN folder / BIN-mt Folder .   in every folder is  an exe.  But somehow both start the st version for me.  Bevor the update hte BIN-mt folder exe started the mt version...

• Thanks 1

• ED Team

threads merged 

the team is working on tweaks and fixes for MT

thank you

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Processor affinity is not the issue.  Any effect of manipulating the affinity is purely coincidental.  Debugging multi-threaded applications is difficult.  Finding synchronization issues is difficult because almost everything you do to detect the issues will affect the relative timing of the threads involved.  I went down the rabbit hole of processor affinity early on in my career.  It will often introduce more issues by not allowing a core to be available for the scheduler.  This particular problem could even cause stuttering.  Even if it appears to be making the issue go away.  It is only changing the timing and not fixing the real problem.  And the problem can resurface under different system conditions. 

• Like 2

Same issue here (13700k/4090/G2)  that hasn't improved with the latest patch. Random freezes/blackouts/massive lag, mostly on DCS menu screen. Frame times CPU and GPU are fine (under 10ms but FPS 0-20. Requires task manager end process and restart. ST version works ok with the most obvious consistent difference (other than sporadic freezes)  being the loading screen from menu to actual gameplay . In MT the screen remains entirely black whilst loading, while in ST the aircraft loading image is displayed. 
Absurd...

Inviato dal mio SM-G998B utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 1

Firma DCS.png

CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K   3.60 GHz - DDR4 64,0 GB - MSI RTX3080ti - Win 11 64bit

threads merged 
the team is working on tweaks and fixes for MT
thank you
Big are you now convinced that the problem does not depend on computer to computer? I have been writing to this forum for more than a month reporting that there is something wrong with the MT version, after 2.9 the stuttering problems have become even more evident. If you pay attention, slightly older CPUs are not affected by this particular problem.

• Like 1

Firma DCS.png

CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K   3.60 GHz - DDR4 64,0 GB - MSI RTX3080ti - Win 11 64bit

11 minutes ago, Predator-78 said:

Big are you now convinced that the problem does not depend on computer to computer? I have been writing to this forum for more than a month reporting that there is something wrong with the MT version, after 2.9 the stuttering problems have become even more evident. If you pay attention, slightly older CPUs are not affected by this particular problem.

What are your system specs do you mind me asking 

I7 10700K (OVERCLOCKED)5.1GHZ, ASUS STRIX Z490F MOTHERBOARD, RTX VENTUS 4070 12GB, 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE (3500mhz) 2X 1TB NVMe M.2 980 PRO SSD. WIN11,THRUSTMASTER WARTHOG JOYSTICK,THROTTLE,TRACK IR.

Thanks to those directing me to the non "mt" exe.

Single thread is consistent and reverting to it has removed stuttering entirely, though updated features (I've no idea how many) seem effected by this. For example, the grass no longer moves under a hovering Apache.

I tried mt  in various scenarios and settings (win/nvidia/dcs) and removing overloaded cores (no.8 in particular) but this had no impact on the stuttering.

Problems lie in the mt - for me at least. Thanks to Bignewy for responding. Good to know its being addressed.