SnapViews - View angle reset

_SteelFalcon_

9 hours ago, USSR_Rik said:

Guys, please - who have issues with initial (default) view - do you use any special monitor configuration in DCS? I.e. additional monitors setup. If yes - please attach here your monitor config lua file

3840x2160 native, single monitor @120

TM Warthog MFG TIR5 GT Omega Pro/ButKickerx1/WheelStandPro Playseat/ButKickerx2

• ED Team

There was no issues with english language. THere was issue with bug reproducing. It's not enough (absolutely) to copy-paste forum post into our internal bugtracker, this way is very easy and wrong.

The main question is bug reproducing here - programmers can't work with such bugs (or, more precisely, they forced to work in 'blind mode'). Further, testers have no possibility to check fixes. That's why I asked details.

Thanks again for answers and comments, fix planned to release in the next sheduled update.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

While we're at it, how about getting rid of the need to hit NumEnter at spawn-time entirely? (And, even better, a single default zoom setting that applies to all aircraft. I wouldn't even touch the SnapViews system if only we had that. We already have an option for defining external view default zoom. Interior should be the same. Why would we want different focal-length eyes in different aircraft?)

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, SMH said:

While we're at it, how about getting rid of the need to hit NumEnter at spawn-time entirely? (And, even better, a single default zoom setting that applies to all aircraft. I wouldn't even touch the SnapViews system if only we had that. We already have an option for defining external view default zoom. Interior should be the same. Why would we want different focal-length eyes in different aircraft?)

The first part, I would agree. However, different settings in different Aircraft are needed, because we are limited to a 2D-Screen and some cockpits just don't work well with the same settings. For the most part I have the same default FOV in all ACs, but there are two or three exceptions.

Also, editing the snapview lua to enter a (same) default fov for all Aircraft is a matter of seconds....so....

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

35 minutes ago, Hiob said:

The first part, I would agree. However, different settings in different Aircraft are needed, because we are limited to a 2D-Screen and some cockpits just don't work well with the same settings. For the most part I have the same default FOV in all ACs, but there are two or three exceptions.

Also, editing the snapview lua to enter a (same) default fov for all Aircraft is a matter of seconds....so....

I'd be all for maintaining the SnapView system so you can define different zoom levels in different aircraft (though I disagree with your strategy, you're making apparent size of objects different in different aircraft - but yes, you should be allowed to do that but not expected to do that). There should be somewhere we can set the value that aircraft spawn with, instead of whatever is determining it now (I assumed it was hard-coded in but I see from posts here that different systems get different values - perhaps it's affected by screen pixel dimensions? I can't see why it would be but I can believe anything at this point).

And no, it's not a matter of seconds to edit the SnapViews.lua (which is already a power-user move that many users won't feel comfortable doing). Before you can edit it you need to create a record for the given aircraft. That means spawning into every aircraft you own (taking several minutes each time), making sure you don't move your head position (so, remembering to disable your head-tracker before you do it) and then saving the SnapViews with RAlt+Num0, THEN going into the SnapViews.lua file and finding the default zoom records for the pilot positions (and you can't easily use a global replace because they won't all be the same and there's also default zoom records for other positions as well) and editing each one to the particular zoom value you want. That's exactly what I did do, but I wouldn't call it "a matter of seconds".

Anyway, leave all that capability as-is. It would just be nice if that currently uncontrollable zoom value at spawn-in time could be defined somewhere by the user and is then only overridden by the SnapViews if that record exists. (So then you can still use NumEnter to get back to normal zoom at any time, even without having to define all the zooms in the SnapViews.)

Make sense?

Edited by SMH
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2023 at 1:23 PM, bwRavencl said:

@USSR_Rik

Old behavior:

1. Launch any mission in any aircraft

2. In the default cockpit view, change the zoom level

3. Press and release combo {RAlt + Num0} -> the camera orientation and zoom level are saved

4. Restart DCS and launch any mission with the same aircraft

5. Press Num Enter - the zoom level is restored back to the saved value

New behavior since DCS 2.8.8.43489 Open Beta:

1. Launch any mission in any aircraft

2. In the default cockpit view, change the zoom level

3. Press and release combo {RAlt + Num0} -> the camera orientation and zoom level are saved

4. Restart DCS and launch any mission with the same aircraft

5. Press Num Enter - the zoom level is not restored back to the saved value

Current workaround:

1. Press Right Ctrl + Num 0 twice

2. Press Num Enter -> the saved zoom level is restored

Suggestion for additional improvement beyond fixing the bug:

- Automatically apply the zoom level stored for the default view after spawning

- This would remove the need for the player to press Num Enter each time after spawning

Excellent suggestion Indeed.... Since AGES this was working properly, just pressing the shortcut "View > Zoom normal" whatever this would be..

• Like 1

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

Just got bitten by this bug, for the first time tonight, after not playing DCS for a few weeks.  Sucked when I realized that the "Zoom Normal" control, to take me back to my default zoom didn't work, and I really do like my custom zoom level.  I noticed in multicrew aircraft that switching to the "second seat" and resetting to default zoom worked, and then it would work when you switched back to the main cockpit.  In single pilot aircraft, there is nothing to switch to, and the Zoom Normal control just doesn't work.

3 minutes ago, Ornithopter said:

In single pilot aircraft, there is nothing to switch to, and the Zoom Normal control just doesn't work.

workaround:  press right ctrl + num0 twice, followed by num enter (zoom normal)

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

17 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

workaround:  press right ctrl + num0 twice, followed by num enter (zoom normal)

Yes, thanks, the workaround works, but it is just that.. a workaround... Don't you all think that

ED should correct this bug? As I wrote, since years this was working properly, just pressing the shortcut key "View > Zoom normal" ... 

• Like 1

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

10 minutes ago, ac5 said:

Yes, thanks, the workaround works, but it is just that.. a workaround... Don't you all think that

ED should correct this bug? As I wrote, since years this was working properly, just pressing the shortcut key "View > Zoom normal" ... 

Well, yes...I think most people would agree that they should fix bugs. 😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ac5 said:

Don't you all think that ED should correct this bug?

I was just trying to help, I didnt emit any opinion, so your question is unnecessary.

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

11 hours ago, ac5 said:

ED has already internally fixed it according to this: 

On 8/24/2023 at 10:09 AM, USSR_Rik said:

Thanks again for answers and comments, fix planned to release in the next sheduled update.

so i‘m confident it‘ll be corrected in the next update.

• Like 1

• ED Team
В 05.09.2023 в 08:46, _SteelFalcon_ сказал:

Please note: 'planned' means planned, no more.

• Like 1

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

Glad I did a search of this forum before posting a new thread. I'm having the same issues with default FOV in all my modules, as described in detail above. Thanks for the RCNTL-NUM0 x2 workaround.

single monitor, 3840 x 1600, 60 Hz.

Thanks for letting us know the plan is to fix this in a future update.

peachpossum

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
i9-9900k 3.6 GHz, 64 GB 3200 MHz ram
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming
RTX 4090, Samsung 970 pro NVMe

I don't think this is a thread hikack so let me try...  Does anyone have any videos that describe how to set the zoom and seat position in such a way as to best replicate what the pilot would see for any given airplane when the sim starts.  Does zoom of 1.0 already do this?  And is the default view supposed to be where the average pilot would sit?

@Cavemanhead Easy to do if you just follow this text:

Customisation Procedure

The keystroke RAlt+Num0 (default binding) will save the current view position against the last-selected Snap View, or against the "default" view if that was the last selected. The simplest procedure for customising a Snap View is as follows:

Center Camera View            RShift+Num5
Camera Move Back            RCtrl+RShift+Num/
Camera Move Center            RCtrl+RShift+Num5
Camera Move Down            RCtrl+RShift+Num2
Camera Move Forward            RCtrl+RShift+Num*
Camera Move Left            RCtrl+RShift+Num4
Camera Move Right            RCtrl+RShift+Num6
Camera Move Up                RCtrl+RShift+Num8

Customising a Snap View

- Set your current view up as you want it saved. Use RCtrl+RShift+NumX to move the view.
- Press LWin+NumN - NumN being whichever numeric keypad key you intend customising. Your view will briefly snap to whatever the current snap view setting is for that key, then return to your previous view.
- Press RAlt+Num0 - The snap view should now be saved.
- Test it by changing your view, then holding down LWin+NumX - you should see your customised snap view!

Customising the Default View

- Press Num5 to reset your view to the current default.
- Adjust your view (RCtrl+RShift+NumX) to what you want as the new default but do not use any snap view keys in the process!
- Press RALT+Num0 - your new default view should now be saved.
- Test it by changing your view, then pressing Num5 - your view should return to your customised default!

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 10:46 PM, _SteelFalcon_ said:

so i‘m confident it‘ll be corrected in the next update.

Yes, they need to fix this...it is not working properly still.  J

• Like 1

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 11:58 AM, USSR_Rik said:

Guys, please - who have issues with initial (default) view - do you use any special monitor configuration in DCS? I.e. additional monitors setup. If yes - please attach here your monitor config lua file

Single monitor
2560 × 1440 (native resolution)

On 9/17/2023 at 9:46 AM, hsth said:

@Cavemanhead Easy to do if you just follow this text:

Customisation Procedure

The keystroke RAlt+Num0 (default binding) will save the current view position against the last-selected Snap View, or against the "default" view if that was the last selected. The simplest procedure for customising a Snap View is as follows:

Center Camera View            RShift+Num5
Camera Move Back            RCtrl+RShift+Num/
Camera Move Center            RCtrl+RShift+Num5
Camera Move Down            RCtrl+RShift+Num2
Camera Move Forward            RCtrl+RShift+Num*
Camera Move Left            RCtrl+RShift+Num4
Camera Move Right            RCtrl+RShift+Num6
Camera Move Up                RCtrl+RShift+Num8

Customising a Snap View

- Set your current view up as you want it saved. Use RCtrl+RShift+NumX to move the view.
- Press LWin+NumN - NumN being whichever numeric keypad key you intend customising. Your view will briefly snap to whatever the current snap view setting is for that key, then return to your previous view.
- Press RAlt+Num0 - The snap view should now be saved.
- Test it by changing your view, then holding down LWin+NumX - you should see your customised snap view!

Customising the Default View

- Press Num5 to reset your view to the current default.
- Adjust your view (RCtrl+RShift+NumX) to what you want as the new default but do not use any snap view keys in the process!
- Press RALT+Num0 - your new default view should now be saved.
- Test it by changing your view, then pressing Num5 - your view should return to your customised default!

Could you clarify that bit (in bold) please?

Edited by Bucic

I totally missed this thread but not the issue itself. I didn't know it was a new problem because I had wrong default fov in some planes long before this, so I didn't bother. After some experiments I too discovered that there is a workaround. After using any snapview the zoom normal works again! So now I just calmly press snapview 5 and zoom normal - which I have next to each other - and go on.

But it is an embarassing bug indeed.

BTW I use 2560x1440p common resolution.

Edited by virgo47

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

2 hours ago, hsth said:

$Bucic,

It says: LeftWindow key + Numkey (N being any number from 1 to 9). The same keys for the same movements as mentioned before.

Aaah, now I get it. It's a sentence transition.

LWin+NumN - NumN being whichever ...

~

LWin+NumN, where NumN is whichever ...

Native 4K, single monitor setup.

When I edit the default FOV to a certain value, it adds ~20 to it in game. In all Aircraft I tried. However, any other setting like hAngle, vAngle, x,y and z-axis seem to work. (Same for saving the custom default view in game via Ralt+Num0).

I know, nothing new. Just another data point.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, bwRavencl said:

Unfortunately the issue is still present in DCS 2.9.0.46801.

Unfortunately, yes, this bug  is still present on latest OB.  Fortunately the workaround: press right ctrl + num0 twice, followed by num enter (zoom normal), still works .. but for sure it is a nuisance.

• Like 4