Troops embarking in DCS 2.9

Abburo

Can you please provide more details about this new feature? @Flappie @BIGNEWY

I'm looking forward for the followings:

• Troops do need to have the "embarking" task assigned in ME?
  • Which is the Max Distance of troops to be embarked. 
  • Which are the vehicles capable of embarking troops? Found out for example that APC AAV-7 Amphibious is "colliding" with the troop to be embarked, hence the soldier cannot embark in it.
  • How many troops can be loaded. IS this number related to vehicle type? If yes, can it be dynamically checked or at least there is a chart for the max troops to be loaded?

Overall, this is a very much needed function, thank you for that!

Edited by Abburo
  • Like 2

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

8 hours ago, Colonel Akir Nakesh said:

I just tried loading 4-5 troops into an AAV-7 and M2 Bradley but nothing was selectable under 'infantry'. Curious how to get this to work, it's a huge addition to DCS 🙂

You need to add the embarking task to troops, then they will be displayed under the vehicle menu when it will be within a certain distance.

Found that AAV-7 cannot load troops even the embarking menu is there. When infantry is near the vehicle, instead of embarking there is a 3D model collision with the vehicle which jumps slightly on contact :).

I found at least HMWW and M939 at least can embark troops... that's why I was asking what to expect on this function... is not very straight forward for the moment. 

Screenshot 2023-10-20 080751.png

Edited by Abburo
  • Like 1

I believe the number of troops your vehicle can carry is listed when you get to the "Embarking" part of the radio menu. Seems if there aren't enough seats in the group, as many as can embark, do embark, but when you disembark them they run back to where the rest of the squad is. So until a check is implemented, be sure to check the numbers yourself!

Numbers thus far, in no particular order:

HMMWV HMG - 4

Truck M939 - 30!

HMMWV - 4

Tigr - 8

HMMWV TOW - 0?

Land Rover 109 - 7

LAV-25 - 6

BMP-3 - 7

Bradley - 6

Merkava - 0?

Warrior - 7

Marder - 6

BTR-80 - 7

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Abburo said:

Vous devez ajouter la tâche d'embarquement aux troupes, elles seront ensuite affichées sous le menu du véhicule lorsqu'elles se trouveront à une certaine distance.

J'ai constaté que l'AAV-7 ne peut pas charger de troupes même si le menu d'embarquement est là. Lorsque l'infanterie est à proximité du véhicule, au lieu d'embarquer il y a une collision modèle 3D avec le véhicule qui saute légèrement au contact :).

J'ai trouvé qu'au moins le HMWW et le M939 pouvaient embarquer des troupes... c'est pour ça que je demandais à quoi s'attendre sur cette fonction... ce n'est pas très simple pour le moment. 

Capture d'écran 2023-10-20 080751.png

This is not the new feature. We could already do this before 2.9.

I thought we could bring the troops directly into play with AC, but I still haven't figured out how to do it.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Worg said:
This is not the new feature. We could already do this before 2.9.

I thought we could bring the troops directly into play with AC, but I still haven't figured out how to do it.

I really don't recall having the "Infantry" menu available before 2.9. The Embark Task yes is old story.

But now, while you are in the vehicle as CA, you can call troops to embark... any troop within a specific area... but there are many things yet to be clarified, hopefully!

Yes the option to embark troops was already here, but as @Abburo said, you can now trigger it via the Comm menu while inside the vehicle. As @Flappie said, I saw many inconsistencies (bugs?) which will not be qualified until we have a proper description of this new feature. To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed as I thought it would be a first step towards a Combined Arms enhancement which seems necessary before CH-47 and C-130 release, and today, I don't see the point of putting such a "minor change" ( from what I guessed, perhaps I'm wrong ... ) in 2.9. 

Time will tell... ( I'm currently putting together which basic features I think would be needed to enhance ground combat, would probably submit the ideas to @Flappie when done ) 

NB : Also add the flying APC bug when trying to embark in an IFV whith 0 place left. The marine bumped it 10 meters up 🤪

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ZuluThreeZero said:

I believe the number of troops your vehicle can carry is listed when you get to the "Embarking" part of the radio menu. Seems if there aren't enough seats in the group, as many as can embark, do embark, but when you disembark them they run back to where the rest of the squad is. So until a check is implemented, be sure to check the numbers yourself!

Numbers thus far, in no particular order:

HMMWV HMG - 4

Truck M939 - 30!

HMMWV - 4

Tigr - 8

HMMWV TOW - 0?

Land Rover 109 - 7

LAV-25 - 6

BMP-3 - 7

Bradley - 6

Merkava - 0?

Warrior - 7

Marder - 6

BTR-80 - 7

So far, it's accurate. Should that hold, then:

BMP-1 - 8
BMP-2 - 7
M113 - 11
MTLB - 11
BMD-1 - 5

What I can come up with off the top of my head.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

• ED Team
On 10/20/2023 at 12:41 PM, Abburo said:

I really don't recall having the "Infantry" menu available before 2.9. The Embark Task yes is old story.

But now, while you are in the vehicle as CA, you can call troops to embark... any troop within a specific area... but there are many things yet to be clarified, hopefully!

I think what is new about it is being able to say drive a Humvee and then loading troops into your vehicle you are driving, as long as its all set in the ME.

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Had to see for myself. This is a nice improvement and a step in the right direction.

Edit - this is still super janky and not very good. I'm finding problems with consistent embarking. 

What's different?

You can now embark/disembark infantry without a series of waypoints in the ME . You can embark/disembark dynamically as you want. (as long as the infantry is set to embark task in the ME first! this is still required)

Previously

You could embark/disembark dismounts into a vehicle but it required a START and END waypoint for the infantry, and generally infantry would only dismount and move to their second waypoint, which made any sort of actual mission impossible. 

Problem @NineLine

1. The infantry will still only mount-up at their original point and nowhere else. You still still see the menu option to mount them but they seem to be stuck to their original mount radius as defined in the ME. Say - you mount the infantry, drive 500m dismount (all works very well). Then ask them to mount back up, they will stand there and look at you. 

2. They will only mount on a SINGLE vehicle and nothing else. I tried mounting a fireteam in a M2 Bradley and they did it just fine, but when I tried another vehicle then I didn't see any option to mount that squad. It was as if the infantry are 'tied' or 'stuck' to a vehicle for the duration of the game. 

Edited by Apocalypse31
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To resume a bit based on previous comments, I think the way this feature would become useful should be like following:

As a CA vehicle commander 

I want to be able to load any infantry troops (without any ME special settings) from anywhere on the map,

So that I can transport and unload them anywhere else.

Also as side notes, we need to have some predictable information like vehicle compatibility with this function, number of troops that can be loaded, etc.

@Flappie do you think that ED can look on this type of enhacement?

• Like 4

My discoveries about troops embarking.

There`s several rules:

1.Amount of troops embarking to transport must not exceed transport capacity.

2.Zone radius must contain transport to embark.

3.Group of troops must have "Embark to transport" task.

4.After assigning "Embark to transport" task to troops, task "Embarking" will appear in transport task list(where you add groups to embark)

5.Groups of transport mixed with tanks for example will not gain that task. "Embarking" task will appear to groups with suitable transports only and only with transports.

Embarking works perfectly with one transport and one group of troops. When group  consists of several transports intended for boarding by several groups of troops traffic jam may occur(some of troops may not embark, in that case transport and troops will not move further). 

When assigning task "embark" to transport you can distribute groups of troops among transports. If troops not embarking (especially to several transports) you can pick option "From start"(as far as i remember  correctly, or something like that.)

Again as i understand to load troops. Troops must have "Embark to transport" and transport must have "Embarking" task customized to load specific troops. The whole process looks to me pretty bugged.

Hope it helps to someone. 

P.S. It`s about AI transport embarking.

Edited by stonewall197922
  • Like 1

I think it is a step in the right decision, but for as long as every single transfer needs to be specifically set up in the ME there is little to gain from adding more details to it, as it - to the pilot - functionally makes no difference to just activating a new unit at the target location.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stonewall197922 said:

P.S. It`s about AI transport embarking.

This topic is not for AI transport, but for player commanded vehicle. Your observation might be correct in a different context.

Edited by Abburo

2 часа назад, Kang сказал:

I think it is a step in the right decision, but for as long as every single transfer needs to be specifically set up in the ME there is little to gain from adding more details to it, as it - to the pilot - functionally makes no difference to just activating a new unit at the target location.

Totally agree with you. At current state, as far as i concerned its no possible to embark and disembark troops to/from convoy consisted of different units. Much easier is to activate troops at a point. Post above is my experience solving embarking problem. I learned however, that tasking groups to embark have limited usability. And even more, can cause more problems. 

My personal theory is that this implementation is another stepping stone towards making embarkation and cargo more useful in the future, possibly for the release of the CH-47, which frankly does not make a lot of sense without these things working reasonably well.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2023 at 8:35 PM, Apocalypse31 said:

1. The infantry will still only mount-up at their original point and nowhere else. You still still see the menu option to mount them but they seem to be stuck to their original mount radius as defined in the ME. Say - you mount the infantry, drive 500m dismount (all works very well). Then ask them to mount back up, they will stand there and look at you. 

2. They will only mount on a SINGLE vehicle and nothing else. I tried mounting a fireteam in a M2 Bradley and they did it just fine, but when I tried another vehicle then I didn't see any option to mount that squad. It was as if the infantry are 'tied' or 'stuck' to a vehicle for the duration of the game. 

I was playing around with embarking and have some ideas:

1. For every embarking WP action there is the area of embarking with triangle in the center. Be careful when you move the troops the embarking area stays at original place - you have to move it as well or make another one in another waypoint (did not test more than 1 embarking for a group).

2. There is vehicle selection for embarking in the troops WP action - you can either specify one type or allow any vehicle for the group to embark.

On 11/4/2023 at 9:13 PM, jackd said:

any visuals yet on the looks of it?

The troops just go to the vehicle side and disappear. Nothing fancy.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• ED Team
On 10/31/2023 at 12:35 PM, Apocalypse31 said:

Problem @NineLine

Thank you I will take a look at this today.

On 11/4/2023 at 9:42 AM, stonewall197922 said:

1.Amount of troops embarking to transport must not exceed transport capacity.

This is a DCS limitation with groups right now, there is no way to split a group so you have to keep this in mind, I hope one day this will be resolved. 

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Check this out and have fun :thumbup:

It shows that troops can have tasks before embarking and after disembarking they can move on with tasks, wherever you leave them.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• ED Team

Sorry, I had forgotten that I reported this already a while back. So I have bumped it once again. Thanks. 

This is related to #1. I set up two Strykers and one infantry unit. 

If I embarked to one Stryker, and then disembarked, that second unit is not able to pick that troop up again.

• Thanks 1

64Sig.png