Patch Notes discussion December 2023

BIGNEWY

AI aircraft. Fire and smoke adjustments for AI planes: F-5E, F-86F, L-39, MiG-15bis, A-10A, Su-27, Su-33, F-15C, MiG-29A/S, MiG-31, Su-24M/MR, Tu-22M3, Yak-40, KC-135

Is this about cosmetics only or damage modeling as well?

• Like 1

I don’t know what ED has done under the hood with the last patch but I was able to run on my backup laptop a mission with frames from 35 to 55 in SA and use of carrier. Previously my frames on carrier were 5-8 and max frames at high altitude were 40-45. The mission uses a lot of static units on carrier and in target area.

Edited by diamond26
  • Like 1

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

I don’t know what ED has done under the hood with the last patch but I was able to run on my backup laptop a mission with frames from 35 to 55 in SA and use of carrier. Previously my frames on carrier were 5-8 and max frames at high altitude were 40-45. The mission uses a lot of static units on carrier and in target area.
Yeah,

my performance is so much better, before last update i was not using ground shadows 1) the performance was bad 2) there was something strange with the shadows, the where moving and popping up.
Now they looks good and performance is so Nice,

There is just 1 thing that's not looking good for me in vr,
Before the new Nice cloud update, when i was looking at the clouds en you turn your head like a yaw turn, the clouds where turning in yaw too, with the new clouds that went away, so i was extremely happy,
But still when you explode something on the ground that fire and smoke still doing the yaw turn with the head.

For me this update was a really good one, keep up the good work
At the moment, i can play dcs in vr like i was dreaming to play dcs in vr

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2399 met Tapatalk

1 hour ago, _schepper_ said:

But still when you explode something on the ground that fire and smoke still doing the yaw turn with the head.

It's an old distugsting effect, also affects contrails.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Hi all

I am confused.

Is dcs open beta the most updated compared to DCS and DCS MT?

Is it better to use DCS Open Beta?

I think so.

Thanks

Lorenzo

"I told Orville and i told Wilbur, that thing will never fly" The last fomous words

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@lorfar

Open Beta gets updates first. So, yeah - on average it is the most up to date (and bugged) version. ST or MT is in both currently.

My advise would be, use Open Beta and MT (default).

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Il 29/12/2023 at 11:59, Hiob ha scritto:

@lorfar

Open Beta gets updates first. So, yeah - on average it is the most up to date (and bugged) version. ST or MT is in both currently.

My advise would be, use Open Beta and MT (default).

Many thanks Hiob

"I told Orville and i told Wilbur, that thing will never fly" The last fomous words

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did they address the really bad night time lighting in the newest patch? It is mentioned in Reflected's DE thread how the night time/very early AM lighting is broken at the moment. Currently you have to max out gamma settings in order to fly 90% the first DE mission, which is insane. I ended up putting on the technicolor 2 filter as well to help highlight a few things, but it is still pretty unacceptable.

• ED Team

Folks please do not bring other sims into the discussion, check our forum rules at the top of the page and 1.15

As for touch and go on the F/A-18C we have said for a long time now it needs to be tweaked and that work is in progress. With that said you wont find a better representation anywhere else for a public for entertainment simulator. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

7 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

As for touch and go on the F/A-18C we have said for a long time now it needs to be tweaked and that work is in progress. With that said you wont find a better representation anywhere else for a public for entertainment simulator. 

Touch and go, maybe, but please fix the ball. It's impossible to see properly, be it in VR or on a screen.

Some users are talking about performance and visual improvements using DLSS/DLAA with this update, but the changelog doesn’t have any comment about. Is it intended? Or just something “lost in translation” between ED teams? @BIGNEWY

I7 3770K - 32 GB DDR3 - Nvidia RTX 4060 - SSD + NVME

31 minutes ago, vgilsoler said:

Some users are talking about performance and visual improvements using DLSS/DLAA with this update

Link?

DLSS was added in 2.9.0...

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 minute ago, vgilsoler said:

Just some posts before in this thread and also in

In this post users talk about official DCS updates/patches while in the one you linked they talk about manual "update" by downloading and testing new nvidia DLSS dll file.

@vgilsoler Parts of the community are rather enthusiastic about modding or self-optimizing DCS to their needs (or find work arounds for problems yet to be solved by ED). 

If you're comfortable with such endeavors, I would recommend using mod-managers like OVGME. There's hardly a way to "damage" DCS. in the worst case, do a slow repair and you're good to go again.

So generally, I would encourage people to tinker around. Most of the times, results vary between users - due to differences in settings, hardware or used mods. So the best way is to try for yourself.

On the other hand there is no real loss in just using DCS as intended and don't worry about that. Most of the Bugs and Issues that persists (or are introduced in a new Beta) are not game breaking unless you are absolutely limited to one module and have bad luck.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

29 minutes ago, draconus said:

In this post users talk about official DCS updates/patches while in the one you linked they talk about manual "update" by downloading and testing new nvidia DLSS dll file.

Well, it seems I mixed the comments in this thread with the DLSS one. So forget the second thread and focus on the improvements noticed in this one, and the lack of related changes in the changelog. 

14 minutes ago, Hiob said:

@vgilsoler Parts of the community are rather enthusiastic about modding or self-optimizing DCS to their needs (or find work arounds for problems yet to bes solved by ED). 

If you're comfortable with such endeavors, I would recommend using mod-managers like OVGME. There's hardly a way to "damage" DCS. in the worst case, do a slow repair and you're good to go again.

So generally, I would encourage people to tinker around. Most of the times, results vary between users - due to differences in settings, hardware or used mods. So the best way is to try for yourself.

On the other hand there is no real loss in just using DCS as intended and don't worry about that. Most of the Bugs and Issues that persists (or are introduced in a new Beta) are not game breaking unless you are absolutely limited to one module and have bad luck.

Thanks for the advisory.

I7 3770K - 32 GB DDR3 - Nvidia RTX 4060 - SSD + NVME

• 2 weeks later...

I still get silly AI behavior in damaged WW2 aircraft, 

Even with totally swizz cheese aircraft they continue to fly. 

I had one instance where I hit the coolant on a Me109, he continued to fly for like 10 minutes, finally the engine died and he continued to fly, when he was a few hundred feet above the ground heading for some trees he pops the canopy and then crashed into trees and die. A human would have jumped out long ago, especially with 30 spitfires flying around.
In the same flight, another 109 gets light up by me and another spitfire, .303s and 20mm ripping along his entire plane, one wheel drops, both wings leak fuel. He again continues to fly and does a super super long glide, drops his other wheel, only to take it up again, then a few hundred feet above ground he pops his canopy and crashes and dies. Both these pilots should have bailed long before they got close to the ground.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.