Will the Full Fidelity MiG-29A use existing FC3 assists, or will it be built more or less from the ground up?

Go to solution Solved by Silver_Dragon,

Currently the FC3 MiG-29A we have in game, seems to be in a pretty good state for it's exterior model, and even the interior model having a few buttons and switches move. 

I know the flight model is also the most currently updated amoung the FC3 aircraft.

My question is, are a lot of the current assests for the FC3 MiG-29A going to be used for the full fidelity model, or is the aircraft going to be redone from scratch with a completely new model, and systems?

Edited by CrazyGman
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, CrazyGman said:

Currently the FC3 MiG-29A we have in game, seems to be in a pretty good state for it's exterior model, and even the interior model having a few buttons and switches move. 

I know the flight model is also the most currently updated amoung the FC3 aircraft.

My question is, are a lot of the current assest for the FC3 MiG-29A going to be used for the full fidelity model, or is the aircraft going to be redone from scratch with a completely new model, and systems?

Systems will be completely redone of course! Cockpit model will surely be redone: The current cockpit looks decent, but it's not up to current high standards and ED would not be able to charge full price otherwise. I would guess the same for the external model, but with less confidence.
The flight model however will not be redone. That was stated by Kate Perederko on discord.

Edited by twistking
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, twistking said:

I would guess the same for the external model, but with less confidence.
The flight model however will not be redone. That was stated by Kate Perederko on discord.

Yeah , i kinda figured, i mean the external model already has bendy wings and is at a pretty decent standard, possibly the exterior pilot model though could use tweaking.

Edited by CrazyGman

Just want to put this out there for anyone listening. I love the Idea of upgrading the FC3 Aircraft to modern DCS standards.

I learned the A10A way back in the LocOn days and hope that the A10A from FC3 will also be upgraded to full fidelity. With the Iraq and Afghanistan maps coming it would be nice to have an A10A for historical context. I would definitely pay for it if it became available.

The Mig-29A is a much needed REDFOR plane. So is the Su27 but I will not get my hopes up.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, CrazyGman said:

My question is, are a lot of the current assests for the FC3 MiG-29A going to be used for the full fidelity model, or is the aircraft going to be redone from scratch with a completely new model, and systems?

There is a lot that is not up to the current DCS standards with FC3 MiG-29 and I think (I HOPE) it will be completely NEW 3D geometry / textures / effects.

• Like 2

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I wonder if ED might work the other way around, ie build the hi-fidelity Mig29a based on updated data, laser scans etc, then provide the visuals to the FC3 versions.

That be would a really nice bonus.

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• Solution
12 hours ago, CrazyGman said:

Mig-29A get build fron the Scratch, and noting to ED with FC-3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ahhh I can see now why they pumped the brakes on the "coming in 2024" 

It would be one thing if they were just adding clickable cockpit, and more fidelity to the sensors, but if they are building from the ground up, that will take some time.

image.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

21 hours ago, CrazyGman said:

Ahhh I can see now why they pumped the brakes on the "coming in 2024" 

It would be one thing if they were just adding clickable cockpit, and more fidelity to the sensors, but if they are building from the ground up, that will take some time.

We will see. The FM is in a good place I think. But systems modeling takes time. They aren’t stupid they will reuse what they can but it’s a long way from FC3 to full fidelity. If it wasn’t we wouldn’t care. I’m interested to see if this comes before the Flogger. I hope not. I think that might really hurt Razbam. I’ll be buying both on day one of pre order. But I’m an aviation nerd that loves Soviet aircraft. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FlankerKiller said:

We will see. The FM is in a good place I think. But systems modeling takes time. They aren’t stupid they will reuse what they can but it’s a long way from FC3 to full fidelity. If it wasn’t we wouldn’t care. I’m interested to see if this comes before the Flogger. I hope not. I think that might really hurt Razbam. I’ll be buying both on day one of pre order. But I’m an aviation nerd that loves Soviet aircraft. 

This thread is already labeled 'from ground up' also dotrugirl, ED COO implied in Discord chat that FC3 one and Fulcrum-A are two independent products, where one will differ from the other. 

I don't see there is anything that can be reused as the code would be too old, considering this module will be the newest aircraft I assume it already is aimed at using the latest and greatest in terms of the code and modeling and art. 

I am with you on this one: 

But I’m an aviation nerd that loves Soviet aircraft.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

By Chizh on russian forum, the PFM will maintain.

Makes sense, nothings wrong with it and there is no more fidelity to be gained. If they ever need to adjust one it would be bad if they couldn’t automatically adjust the other.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gierasimov said:

This thread is already labeled 'from ground up' also dotrugirl, ED COO implied in Discord chat that FC3 one and Fulcrum-A are two independent products, where one will differ from the other. 

I don't see there is anything that can be reused as the code would be too old, considering this module will be the newest aircraft I assume it already is aimed at using the latest and greatest in terms of the code and modeling and art. 

WOW dude, you went really hostile to be wrong. PFM is already there, why reinvent the wheel with such a labor intensive component. Also I suspect this has been in development for a bit of time already. I don’t know about 2024 but I bet we see it sooner than you would think. Its systems are not all that complicated compared to the western jests they have already produced. Also I suspect this one will be pretty feature complete on release.

I’m just glad to see the late Cold War finally get some love. Fishbed, Flogger, and Fulcrum would have all been in the air in an 80’s gone hot scenario. And we’re gonna have them, with Tomcats, Phantoms, F1, SLUFs, eventually intruders, to fight. All in the next few years that’s gonna be pretty sweet. 

8 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

By Chizh on russian forum, the PFM will maintain

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, FlankerKiller said:

WOW dude, you went really hostile to be wrong. PFM is already there, why reinvent the wheel with such a labor intensive component. Also I suspect this has been in development for a bit of time already. I don’t know about 2024 but I bet we see it sooner than you would think. Its systems are not all that complicated compared to the western jests they have already produced. Also I suspect this one will be pretty feature complete on release.

I’m just glad to see the late Cold War finally get some love. Fishbed, Flogger, and Fulcrum would have all been in the air in an 80’s gone hot scenario. And we’re gonna have them, with Tomcats, Phantoms, F1, SLUFs, eventually intruders, to fight. All in the next few years that’s gonna be pretty sweet. 

Apologies mate, absolutely not my intention to go hostile ever. I am truly sorry I came across this way for you. 

I agree that there is FM that seems decent although some people claim otherwise. What I really meant was the code itself, the way it is written (aka spaghetti code or DX11 API vs. Vulkan API, etc). I figured FC3 is completely different to FF modules and not directly copy-paste ready, that's why I thought it would be a ground up work on all aspects and not only 3D. 

Did not mean to offend you mate.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Gierasimov said:

Did not mean to offend you mate.

No problem. This is going to be a huge money maker for them, and I hope they pull out all the stops on it. People like to talk about balancing DCS well

Mig-29A, 23MLA, 21Bis, MI-24, Maybe an SU-17 Red. 

F-14A, F-4E, A-7E, A-6E USA

M2000, F1, F-5E, maybe a Kafir NATO. 

that’s a pretty balanced mid 80’s lineup with all the missions covered, especially if the SU-17 happens. It will be up to administrators on how they let the apex predators be used in their servers. With the dynamic campaign coming single player will get a lot more interesting as well. I feel like a good chunk of players are going to gravitate to the MiG-29. It feels good to fly, that helmet mounted site is gonna be awesome when Archers are allowed. It’s got good enough weapons to fight BVR. And if you survive to the merge you are an apex predator. I think most players will buy this. The old heads like myself already love it from the LOMAC days. The younger players want something they can turn and burn with anything in game with. And in its proper environment, mid to late 80s, it’s an absolute monster. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, FlankerKiller said:

If ED waits for RAZBAM's MIG23 we will never see the MIG29 this year, those guys have been in the project for years and are far to deliver.

Anyway I will buy both models, but I have hope in ED to deliver this year. Everything of the actual FC3's MIG29A can be reused, why not? the cockpit is ok, only needs to change a few things, the PFM is ok, the ordnance is the same. The only real changes are in the avionics model, some HUD elements are different and that's all. For example, the SPO-15 RWR functions are different than the actual FC3 russian RWR, I hope they simulate the real one like the MIG-29 9.12 manual.

By the way, the SU-27S manual is online too, and the US airforce have been using them as redfor for tears. Time to release that one too!.

Edited by JunMcKill

I think you are underestimating how much work systems modeling will be. I like you suspect they will reuse what they can, but as was stated above aside from FM and the fact that the weapons are all there they are rebuilding it from the ground up. Also don’t count Razbam out. They basically shelved the Flogger to get the Strike Eagle out. Now they are progressing on the Flogger. They are a proven team that can get a module out the door. The Flogger is a much simpler jet then the Strike Eagle and has been getting worked on for years. I’m slightly optimistic that we might have it late this year. I too will buy both, but I do hope to see the Flogger first. I hope both modules do well. As that means more money for more core improvements, assets, maps, and modules. 

• Like 2

I think we will get the Mig29A sooner than anticipated. By the looks of material and teasers posted by ED on the MIg29A, it seems they were working on it for quite some time & progress is OK. So now they can go ahead and announced the module. Looking for a Q2 2024 release. Finger's crossed.

• Like 1

Rig - I7-9700K/GIGABYTE Z390D/RTX-2080 SUPER/32-GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RAM/1-TB SSD

Mods - A10C / F18C / AV8B / Mig21 / Su33 / SC / F14B

• ED Team

I would temper your time scale expectations, 

we will keep you informed about progress in future newsletters. 

thank you

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

10 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I would temper your time scale expectations, 

we will keep you informed about progress in future newsletters. 

thank you

Thanks BIGNEWY.

maybe I was being a little too optimistic, which you can guess from my profile picture. 😀

Will wait patiently.............

• Like 1

Rig - I7-9700K/GIGABYTE Z390D/RTX-2080 SUPER/32-GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RAM/1-TB SSD

Mods - A10C / F18C / AV8B / Mig21 / Su33 / SC / F14B

On 1/8/2024 at 9:09 AM, FlankerKiller said:

No problem. This is going to be a huge money maker for them, and I hope they pull out all the stops on it. People like to talk about balancing DCS well

Mig-29A, 23MLA, 21Bis, MI-24, Maybe an SU-17 Red. 

F-14A, F-4E, A-7E, A-6E USA

M2000, F1, F-5E, maybe a Kafir NATO. 

that’s a pretty balanced mid 80’s lineup with all the missions covered, especially if the SU-17 happens. It will be up to administrators on how they let the apex predators be used in their servers. With the dynamic campaign coming single player will get a lot more interesting as well. I feel like a good chunk of players are going to gravitate to the MiG-29. It feels good to fly, that helmet mounted site is gonna be awesome when Archers are allowed. It’s got good enough weapons to fight BVR. And if you survive to the merge you are an apex predator. I think most players will buy this. The old heads like myself already love it from the LOMAC days. The younger players want something they can turn and burn with anything in game with. And in its proper environment, mid to late 80s, it’s an absolute monster. 

M2000 got really in mass production in late 80. The variant we got is more advanced one. It’s out of Cold War era.

and our it’s also an UFO in flight model probably beating F-22. 

Edited by pepin1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 hours ago, pepin1234 said:

M2000 got really in mass production in late 80. The variant we got is more advanced one. It’s out of Cold War era.

and our it’s also an UFO in flight model probably beating F-22. 

Ours is from 1987 same as the B model Tomcat. The Soviet Union collapsed in 1991. The RDI could definitely have see action, granted in limited numbers. As far as FM ours M2000 is nowhere even close to an F-22. I suspect in the right hands this MiG would beat it. 

off topic but I don’t see the hate for the M2000C. It’s like a F-16A. A lightweight FWB fighter. It was, and would be expected to be a monster in a dogfight. But as for UFO do some low speed climbs with a clean jet. Both the Viper and the true UFO F-18 crush it. 

• Like 3