DCS: Afghanistan FAQ

Personally, I already bought the whole map. This is all a matter of personal opinion, of course, but this is going to be one of the biggest maps so far (if not the biggest). I can understand the decision to split it. C'mon guys, we're getting it in june. I also want to get Bagram ASAP, but I can wait a bit for it, if it's going to be of a quality similar to Syria, which I love.

My concerns are more about that big chunk of Pakistan and the other northern countries that are included, but with no airfields marked on them, will those be included at some point?

Would like some clarification too on the Kavir and Lut regions, as stated in previous comments, they are far away of the map scope.

Anyways, I'd like to cheer ED for the good work. Honestly, I didn't expect to be getting the early access in june.

Edit: Removed the question about carrier ops, as it has already been answered.

Edited by Arennord
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

@NineLine since there is quite some portion of Pakistan included into the full map, will there be any airports included from Pakistan as well? Or maybe any airports from the northern countries?

I´ll save you from reading the faq: There are currently no plans to add airfields from neighboring countries.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

1 minute ago, fagulha said:

I´ll save you from reading the faq: There are currently no plans to add airfields from neighboring countries.

The FAQ says that, but the map has Khorog Airport in Tajikistan, so along with my question about the Kavir and Lut deserts, I have to say there are some geographical mistakes being made somewhere in here.

Would have loved just a few more bases though for infinitely more gameplay.

Peshawar: JF-17 Black Spider squadron

Termez: Soviet and US operations

Zahedan: Iranian F-4s, F-1s, maybe F-5s (can't recall for sure on the latter) operations against smugglers and Taliban

• Like 5

JF-17, F-14, A-10CII, F-5, Mirage F-1, M-2000C, L-39, Mig-21, F-4, FC3, Syria, PG

3 minutes ago, qacarxan said:

The FAQ says that, but the map has Khorog Airport in Tajikistan, so along with my question about the Kavir and Lut deserts, I have to say there are some geographical mistakes being made somewhere in here.

Would have loved just a few more bases though for infinitely more gameplay.

Peshawar: JF-17 Black Spider squadron

Termez: Soviet and US operations

Zahedan: Iranian F-4s, F-1s, maybe F-5s (can't recall for sure on the latter) operations against smugglers and Taliban

Fair enough.

• Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

25 minutes ago, NineLine said:

ALl this can be communicated with how the mission or campaign is distributed just like what modules and maps it uses. Its not really an issue. People download missions for things they don't own all the time by not reading the description or the description not stating this. Its just another thing that we will all have to deal with as is appropriate. 

It'll be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of high and low detail areas. Sounds like this'll only really manifest when East Afghanistan is released as an individual map.

For dynamic MP servers, it might be a bit hard to tell players which part of the map they'll need for certain.

Downloading a mission for a map we don't own is pretty simple: We can't run it. Flying a mission that says "Requires Afghanistan" only to find out that players who've only purchased West/East/North Afghanistan run into unexpected obstacles - I think that's what I'm afraid of from a mission creator and server operator point of view (not that I do much of either, but the question is still there).

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

We are truly thrilled to bring this monumental map to DCS that will allow you to explore and experience a region that has been so important to the late 20th and early 21st century.

Who are you kidding, BN; 20th and 21st??  You need better history books!

Now to find a way to come up with a "Man Who Would be King" scenario involving jet aircraft rather than Martini rifles.  How do you smuggle a squadron of F-18s in a camel's packs?  We already know they work find on dirt airstrips because...well, Normandy and Channel.

Yeah, I know, I said I'd never buy another desert, but that northeast corner calls to me...

• Like 1

• ED Team
13 minutes ago, Tiromir said:

Are you guys going bankrupt? We're trying to figure it out and this is the only explanation that makes sense.

Hi, 

did you read the FAQ? We do explain why. Thank you 

*Why Is the Map Available As Individual Sections?*

Please understand that this is one map, and you can buy the whole map in exactly the same way as you can with any other map. If you buy DCS: Afghanistan, you will have the whole map in high detail once each region is complete.

However, if you do not want the whole map and are only interested in a specific region, you have the option to buy only that region. If you do this, you will still have access to the whole map, but only the region you wanted will be high detail, and the other regions will be low detail. This is ‘Southwest’, ‘East’, and ‘North’.

The reasons for offering the split regions are:

1.      Allows a lower entry price if users want to fly one region only.

2.      Everyone is able to fly the map sooner. The regions of the map are being completed in stages with Southwest ready first, then East, then North. If we waited until the whole map was ready in high detail the Early Access release date would be much later.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

9 minutes ago, rfxcasey said:

Waiting on Kola peninsula release, but I'm sure Afghanistan will be a great map for ground pounding and helicopters.

Same, need my blue water ops.

• Like 3

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

• ED Team
10 minutes ago, rfxcasey said:

Waiting on Kola peninsula release, but I'm sure Afghanistan will be a great map for ground pounding and helicopters.

I hope we can share more news soon, but that is for a different discussion. Thank you 

• Like 4

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Map looks awesome.

How will the VR performance be like? 

Edited by MIghtymoo

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

• ED Team
23 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

Downloading a mission for a map we don't own is pretty simple: We can't run it. Flying a mission that says "Requires Afghanistan" only to find out that players who've only purchased West/East/North Afghanistan run into unexpected obstacles - I think that's what I'm afraid of from a mission creator and server operator point of view (not that I do much of either, but the question is still there).

Module / terrain requirements will be made clear on future Afghanistan campaigns on the Eshop like we do currently for other campaigns. 

thank you 

1 minute ago, MIghtymoo said:

How will the VR performance be like?

The team are focusing on performance and our new terrain technology is helping, of course the real test will be once you all get to try and give us feedback. 

thank you  

• Like 5

Afghanistan map, $48 minus accrued ED Miles=$30 out the door. No brainer 🙂  Excited for release day/month!

• Like 6

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

• ED Team
1 minute ago, MadKreator said:

Afghanistan map, $48 minus accrued ED Miles=$30 out the door. No brainer 🙂  Excited for release day/month!

Thank you for supporting our work, we hope you will enjoy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Greetings,

Question for the ED team.
Will you make the Mary airfield in Turkmenistan available in the map?
Picture for reference.

Afghanistan_Mary_01.jpg

• Like 4

Авиабаза 1521, Мары - Центр боевого применения | Airbase 1521, Mary - Combat Operations Center

Авиабаза_1521_Мары_logo_extra_sm.png

1 minute ago, BIGNEWY said:

Thank you for supporting our work, we hope you will enjoy. 

Most definitely will. Along with Kola, Iraq, ch-47, Hellcat and F-4u.., All easy day one purchases! Thank you guys for everything you do!

• Like 4

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Ronin_Gaijin said:

Greetings,

Question for the ED team.
Will you make the Mary airfield in Turkmenistan available in the map?
Picture for reference.

Afghanistan_Mary_01.jpg

Hi, sorry but there are currently no plans to add airfields from neighbouring countries.

Just now, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, sorry but there are currently no plans to add airfields from neighbouring countries.

You already have Khorog on the map you posted, which is in Tajikistan. 

• Like 4

JF-17, F-14, A-10CII, F-5, Mirage F-1, M-2000C, L-39, Mig-21, F-4, FC3, Syria, PG

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Coxy_99 said:

Why did ED not just go one map and charge 90$ for the lot, Most people cba to read the faf......... Or in some cases understand it. Make it simple instead of a 100 word essay?

Hi Coxy, I did post above, but as it is you, we have this section in the FAQ, 

*Why Is the Map Available As Individual Sections?*

Please understand that this is one map, and you can buy the whole map in exactly the same way as you can with any other map. If you buy DCS: Afghanistan, you will have the whole map in high detail once each region is complete.

However, if you do not want the whole map and are only interested in a specific region, you have the option to buy only that region. If you do this, you will still have access to the whole map, but only the region you wanted will be high detail, and the other regions will be low detail. This is ‘Southwest’, ‘East’, and ‘North’.

The reasons for offering the split regions are:

1.      Allows a lower entry price if users want to fly one region only.

2.      Everyone is able to fly the map sooner. The regions of the map are being completed in stages with Southwest ready first, then East, then North. If we waited until the whole map was ready in high detail the Early Access release date would be much later.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coxy_99 said:

Why did ED not just go one map and charge 90$ for the lot, Most people cba to read the faf......... Or in some cases understand it. Make it simple instead of a 100 word essay?

I thought the whole map HD was $48 but if you bought the three sections separately it was $23 per section, making it $69? 

• Like 3

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!