DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

That makes sense, but I seem to recall that we are actually prohibited from modifying the game to include such a Maverick (and/or talk about such mods). It sounded to me as if this was due to contractual or secrecy reasons rather than just realism.

IIRC, it was a contractual issue which might easily have been driven by classified information concerns.

Perhaps we are all to smart for our own good and they were concerned about someone reverse engineering the missile from the sim. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

That makes sense, but I seem to recall that we are actually prohibited from modifying the game to include such a Maverick (and/or talk about such mods). It sounded to me as if this was due to contractual or secrecy reasons rather than just realism.

There's no way to use the 65E any more. (MAV page simply reads No Maverick)

Yeah, it was due to contractual reasons. They agreed to model a specific suite in a contract but added a weapon that wasn't included in the suite, therefore violating the contract.

(That last part was got really close to breaking the rules, so I won't talk about it further)

• Like 1

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Also, if i make a mission, where a JDAM is to be dropped on a known location (a supply depot f.e.), how could i set that up in the flightplan? i can only think of putting waypoints right over the locations and namig them accordingly. should work, but again i'm not sure, if this would be a realistic way to go.)

how would you set up such or similar scenarios?

thanks!

I'll just add an answer to my own questions from some time ago, just in case, others might find it interesting too:

I found out, that the editor "initial point object" works very well for pre-planned targets, or reference points. You just place them on the map and with all options on default, it will do nothing but create a normal waypoint on the ground to be stored in the CDU. When in the cockpit, you can then for example use these independent waypoints to quickly make a new flightplan exclusively for targets or whatever it is you want to do with them...

Edited by twistking

Force feedback realism

First allow me to say I understand the benefit of having FFB on the joystick to clue you in on an impending stall etc. This post is not about that, it's about pure realism in the feel of an A-10 stick.

So here is the question: In a real A- 10 does the pilot feel any feedback from the stick when the hydraulic systems are working normally?

Just FYI in cars with hydraulic steering the feedback you get from the steering wheel is more or less artificially provided. Is it this way in the A- 10?

I ask because this will be the deciding factor as to whether or not I feel the need to use my warty grip with a modded FFB2 base or use my sexy Vkb all metal gimbal.

Thanks!

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

What they have is a stick shaker which activates when aircraft is nearing stall.

Its a device attached at base of stick and does just that, shake it.

Other than that, no FFB.

For cars you are in a sense wrong and right. In most cases feedback is because steering column is still physically connected to the steering rack which in terms turns the wheels. Hydraulics just ASSIST and do not actually decouple anything. Some cars do how-ever have separated steering column and steering rack.

Aviate - Navigate - Communicate

First allow me to say I understand the benefit of having FFB on the joystick to clue you in on an impending stall etc. This post is not about that, it's about pure realism in the feel of an A-10 stick.

So here is the question: In a real A- 10 does the pilot feel any feedback from the stick when the hydraulic systems are working normally?

Just FYI in cars with hydraulic steering the feedback you get from the steering wheel is more or less artificially provided. Is it this way in the A- 10?

I ask because this will be the deciding factor as to whether or not I feel the need to use my warty grip with a modded FFB2 base or use my sexy Vkb all metal gimbal.

Thanks!

As far as I understood the build up of the stall effect is happening, because the airflow starts to cause "buffeting and vibrations" as it creates small vortices that "shake" the wings.

Thus the whole plane is induced with vibrations. That is, why SimShaker is such a cool way to give "force feedback" directly to your butt.

Like a rumble pad the Joystick force feedback is a workaround to give you an additional channel of feedback.

I won't say the stick does not transport the vibrations of the airframe, but it isn't different, from what the whole plane is subjected to.

I would consider the VKB gimbal and add a SimShaker to your seat, either the full Jetseat solution or make a home built solution with bass-shakers, like I did. I find the experience far more convincing.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

What they have is a stick shaker which activates when aircraft is nearing stall.

Its a device attached at base of stick and does just that, shake it.

Other than that, no FFB.

Now THAT is interesting! Also somewhat amusing.

I have a buttkicker and two Aura ST shakers, I need to look into DCS SimShaker support to see what it is capable of (will it specifically simulate the shaking that precedes a stall?), I'll go look that up after I finish typing this.

If I can't get stall shake transmitted to my stick via SimShaker I'll have to look into options to try to get the shaking signal from the FFB and somehow use it to shake my stick on the VKB gimbal.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ÌAfter looking up SimShaker I'm interested in the JetSeat as well, but wondering if getting a JetSeat is worthwhile if I have a decent bass shaker setup. Can both be used through SimShaker at once?

It occurs to me that I could get another buttkicker with that money instead of JetSeat. Currently I have one Buttkicker Mini and two Aura ST's. I'd like to add a full size buttkicker maybe.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now THAT is interesting! Also somewhat amusing.

I have a buttkicker and two Aura ST shakers, I need to look into DCS SimShaker support to see what it is capable of (will it specifically simulate the shaking that precedes a stall?), I'll go look that up after I finish typing this.

If I can't get stall shake transmitted to my stick via SimShaker I'll have to look into options to try to get the shaking signal from the FFB and somehow use it to shake my stick on the VKB gimbal.

From what I have here (2x Bass pump III) it is enough to give you stereo feedback.

SimShaker models stall building up, as well as lots of other cool effects.

It requires a second soundcard to specifically drive your bass shakers, or you buy the Jetseat which is directly controlled through USB and has 8 vibromotors and even tries to simulate a limited G-Feeling.

It is possible to use Bass shakers and Jetseat in parallel, f4l0 has a similar setup and as the developer behind the current SSA he can give you more detail on that.

I recommend to read through the SimShaker for Aviators thread to get some details.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=175028

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

@Nu-NRG Can you tell me any more about this? Does the fact that they added this mean you don't feel the impending stall through the airframe much?

I wonder (I have to read more on and start experimenting with SimShaker!) if it would be possible to have one shaker mounted directly to my stick assembly that replicates this, while also having SimShaker doing all the other stuff with shakers mounted to my platform floor.

Possible perhaps with a 3rd sound card and shaker/amp? Maybe running two concurrent copies of the SimShaker app? I realize the answers to these questions are probably out there, I'll find out.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Uhm yes it does have a stick shaker.

The MP also noted that the stall warning tones

would occur late, and sometimes not at all. He also noted that the tones would progress from not being present, skipping the steady tone and going directly to the chopped tone, coincident with aircraft stall, without the expected buffer between tones and stall. Additionally, the stick shaker, which provides stick agitation as a means of stall warning, appeared to be working normally in the landing configuration, but t he t ones were s till not functioning properly.

http://www.airforcemag.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Reports/2012/January%202012/Day12/AIB_ACC_010912.pdf

Damn.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

@Nu-NRG Can you tell me any more about this? Does the fact that they added this mean you don't feel the impending stall through the airframe much?

Well, it's there for a reason. Yes, you might not feel it. Distraction with low speed is one of those.

Also heard a story once from real pilot "Instruments telling you one thing and your inner ear something different"

In civil aviation there are numerous test / videos that clearly show activation PRIOR to stall.

You can google about DIY, seen some videos.

Aviate - Navigate - Communicate

Per the -1

Stall Warning Stick Shaker.

Stick shaker operation is a function of AOA vane, AOA indicator and interlocks with landing gear position and flaps switch. The mechanical stick shaker is mounted on the control stick just above the protective boot. The stick shaker provides mild agitation of the control stick 4 to 12 knots prior to wing stall in unaccelerated (1g) flight. Note that stick shaker is active only during landing approach configuration (landing gear down or flap switch in full down position).

• 1 month later...

Help with rudder pedals

Hi I’m new to DCS I purchased Nevada Test Site and A10C. For the past two days I’ve been trying to get the toe brakes to work. My rudder pedals are MFG Crosswinds in A10C I can use the rudder but no brakes. I have assigned joystick X to the left brake set it as a slide and they seem to work when I test them click OK do the same for the right pedal using joystick y. When I get back in the sim they have no effect.

My joystick is an Older Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback but works pretty good. I cannot get the throttle to work I assign joystick z to it set it as a slide and nothing works.

Prior to DCS I’ve used FSX and now mostly X Plane 10 and 11. I really love X Plane 11’s Controller interface.

Any help would be appreciated.

13700K, MSI Z690 D4 Edge wifi, Swiftech H360X3 Cooling with Corsair Water Block, Gigabyte 4090 OC, 64gb Trident Z 3600 CL16, Evga 850W G2 power supply, TM Warthog,  MFG Crosswinds Rudder, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb 2, Pimax Crystal

Sounds like you might be mapping the wrong set of controls. ;)

For the A-10C, there's "A-10C Game mode" and "A-10C Sim mode" or some such (not at my PC right now, but you should be able to identify these two easily enough).

In the Gameplay tab in options, if you have "Game flight mode" checked, the corresponding set of controls will be used, and if it's unchecked, the full sim mode will be used.

The easiest way around this is to just start a mission, hit ESC and go "Adjust Controls", that'll automatically select the proper set of controls. :thumbup:

Second, from your description I'm not sure you mapped the toe brakes correctly. In the controls settings, make sure to select "Axis" from the dropdown menu on top, then "Left Wheel Brake", then remove any previous binding from all devices, and finally hit the column "MFG Crosswind", hit "Add" and fully step on the left toe brake, release it and maybe repeat until the dialog shows the proper mapping; not sure what this particular axis is called by default.

And then repeat the process for the right brake. That should be it. :thumbup:

hello, does anybody know, why switching gun+pac to arm changes the trim?

i can't think of any situation, where this would be really helpful. maybe it is to encourage pilots to only switch on gun+pac arm when rolling in onto the target and disengaging it immediately after the run to get back to normal trim?!

i like to have the gun ready as long as i'm near targets, but maybe that is not how you would do it in reality because of safety concerns?!

I got the rudders and throttle working. There will be a lot for me learn. Thank You

13700K, MSI Z690 D4 Edge wifi, Swiftech H360X3 Cooling with Corsair Water Block, Gigabyte 4090 OC, 64gb Trident Z 3600 CL16, Evga 850W G2 power supply, TM Warthog,  MFG Crosswinds Rudder, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb 2, Pimax Crystal

• 4 weeks later...
Hi. Does somebody else has problems with the MWS? It doesn't indicate any missile launch from MANPADS anymore. I suppose it is a bug in 2.0.5.....?

Yes, MWS is currently bugged. I think in both versions. :(

Since there were no updates today, I guess the earliest we could hope for is to see it fixed next week, but I wouldn't hold my breath.