DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Totally random question:

Am I the only one who has never gotten a missile launch warning from a friendly maverick? I've gotten them numerous times from friendly SEAD missiles, the Gazelle's ATGM's, and any Foxes within visual range (the sensitivity of the system never ceases to amaze me!) But never a maverick, despite being in close proximity to dozens of them so far.

Come to think of it, I'm curious as to how the MLWS ignores your own missile launches...

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Am I the only one who has never gotten a missile launch warning from a friendly maverick? I've gotten them numerous times from friendly SEAD missiles, the Gazelle's ATGM's, and any Foxes within visual range (the sensitivity of the system never ceases to amaze me!) But never a maverick, despite being in close proximity to dozens of them so far.
I also can't recall ever having an MWS launch from a friendly Maverick, which is strange since it detects ground ATGMs as well.

Come to think of it, I'm curious as to how the MLWS ignores your own missile launches...
If I had to take a guess, the MLWS is notified you just launched a Maverick by the IFFCC and ignores any contact within a set of parameters that identify your own launch.

i never get any lunch indication, when a IR-SAM is launched. i even built a little testmission where i loiter around a manpad (igla?) and a vehicle-mounted (strela, i guess) SAM system and get shot from both, without any warning. is there more to the MWS than just flipping the switch at the CM-panel?

I can say that I have experienced MLWS indications from friendly maverick launches and it used to be very common. This is the reason that it is important to be in communication with the A-10s around your target area and to call your rifles. If you don't....

It's raining flares!

Come to think of it however, I can't recently recall triggering a missile warning for a maverick launch.. I wonder if an update has changed the system recently?

I'm pretty sure my MWS warned me about friendly Maverick launches in the past and my wingmen also became quite agitated when I forgot to announce "Rifle" myself or when the freq was jammed and I popped the missile anyway.

I'm also 100% certain all kinds of IR guided SAMs including Iglas have triggered my MWS in the past.

But I haven't done much combat flying recently, so it's quite possible something changed with a recent patch.

Mavericks are not triggering MWS since 2.0 came out. They should tho, as they did in 1.2.x.

Rife call when firing maverick should be made, not just because of dumping flare (might as well be radar guided - chaff), but rather the spooking of the flight as you go defensive and immediately switch from what ever you are doing to tracking threat in the direction.

I can attest that SA-8, SA-19, SA-13, SA-18, SA-11 and AIM-9 trigger MWS. Those are the ones that I had experience with in past month.

AN/AAR-47 is unable to distinguish friendly from foe missile. Due to it's nature it's also limited as to "till when" it's able to pick the missile. Also the way OSC's are placed you have a blind spot in forward sphere.

Edited by Nu-NRG

Aviate - Navigate - Communicate

Bombs set to release in pairs seem to come of single in CCRP

Hi, I flew a mission with Mk82s set to release in pairs. When I did a CCIP pass 2 bombs were released. Then when I changed the profile to CCRP (I made sure prs was still selected) when I held down the pickle only one bomb was released. I've noticed this when I do ripple settings too, only one bomb is released. I make sure to hold the pickle down. Thx!

Hi, I flew a mission with Mk82s set to release in pairs. When I did a CCIP pass 2 bombs were released. Then when I changed the profile to CCRP (I made sure prs was still selected) when I held down the pickle only one bomb was released. I've noticed this when I do ripple settings too, only one bomb is released. I make sure to hold the pickle down. Thx!

I think there is a CCRP/CCIP mode selector in the profile page. I think this tells the aircraft which mode this profile is for. Perhaps try changing it to CCRP.

Light the tires kick the fires!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you're dropping from stations 5/7 you can't drop in pairs. You probably wouldn't want your bombs knocking together as they depart your aircraft :doh:

hey, another quick question, that might better fit in the mission editing sub-forum, but since there is no general questions thread, i reckon i also might drop it here:music_whistling:

i'm looking for a non-nato ground unit, that performs decently in an AAA-role, but is less dangerous than the zsu-emplacements, since i find the zsu-emplacements to be quite deadly when fielded in higher quantities...

other unit, like tanks or brdms hoewever, are no real threat at all. is there no eastern equivalent to - for example - an 50cal humvee. something that won't shred you to pieces, but still "shoots back" at you?

hey, another quick question, that might better fit in the mission editing sub-forum, but since there is no general questions thread, i reckon i also might drop it here:music_whistling:

i'm looking for a non-nato ground unit, that performs decently in an AAA-role, but is less dangerous than the zsu-emplacements, since i find the zsu-emplacements to be quite deadly when fielded in higher quantities...

other unit, like tanks or brdms hoewever, are no real threat at all. is there no eastern equivalent to - for example - an 50cal humvee. something that won't shred you to pieces, but still "shoots back" at you?

Try using a standard armored unit like a T-72 and setting their skill to excellent.

Light the tires kick the fires!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't play DCS yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but would a BTR be good?

BRDM2 has the .50 cal equivalent. If you want a bit more, try the BTR-80 or BMPs (careful some have 20mm guns with HE!)...

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

hey, i was wondering, how i could set up a AI-controlled recon unit, that does not act as a jatac, but just appears on the TAD and marks (ground) contacts on the TAD without necessarily engaging the targets.

i tried an f-15e from the "recon" unit list, but it did not report or post targets, then i tried a french gazelle helicopter, but that did not even show up on the TAD (probably because it's not an US unit?)

is it even possible to have enemys displayed on the TAD? friendly fighters do share/broadcast where they are attacking (or just where their spi is?), so i would assume, recon units can also mark enemys / broadcast spi?

Edited by twistking

hey, i was wondering, how i could set up a AI-controlled recon unit, that does not act as a jatac, but just appears on the TAD and marks (ground) contacts on the TAD without necessarily engaging the targets. [...]

Some ground units are EPLRS capable. Just make sure that EPLRS is enabled; I believe this happens automatically in the Advanced Waypoint Options.

That will mark these units with a green "x" symbol in the TAD and in the TGP.

EPLRS capable units can send you targets (target coordinates, to be more precise) that will show up on the TAD, but AFAIK they will only do so when they act as JTAC and you are in contact with them through the radio.

Some friendlies (A-10C, F-16) will broadcast their SPI while they engage a target, which then shows up on your TAD as well.

If you have "Allied Flight Reports" enabled and are tuned to the correct freq, you can also hear all friendly air units call out targets as bullseye call: "Tusk 2-1, tally armor, bulls 120 for 5".

I'm not aware of other recce options (the Ka-50 does have them; AI wingmen will send targets via Datalink, which is ultra-cool, but the A-10C wingmen don't have that option unfortunately).

The Gazelle doesn't have any kind of datalink, so it won't show up on your TAD.

ok thanks. i will look into that.

however i noticed, that for me there are no other units showing up, even when they have EPLRS. i suspect, that is, because i only tuned my AM radio to the ATC and left the others untouched.

i know how i can use the radios and i know how i can assign frequencies to units in the editor, but are there some default frequencies for different nations, or different uses? in the sim and in real life? so when i for some reason skipped the briefing, what frequencies should i put in the radios as a default? also since airport ATC can be called on many ranges (am / uhf etc.) is there a radio/range i should prefer for ATC communication?

thanks to you all for all the great help so far! much appreciated:)