Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Its all very simple, Palmer first announced the 200 to 400 price tag with mostly smartphone parts, before the Facebook acquisition. Facebook resources allowed Oculus to custom make most of the parts with much better VR qualities. During that process, they couldn't possibly know for sure what the final cost would be, other than saying at one point before the preorder announcement that it would be over 399 dollars.

That said they could have made a better guess sooner, but there were other factors in play, waiting for more info on the Vive price, which was supposed to come first, and quite possibly significant fights in the board room, whether or not to sell their hardware near cost.

There are so many factors that we can only speculate, but I'm fairly sure looking at the final product, that I will be receiving a Rift near cost, and very happy it isn't made from stock smartphone parts.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad it's costs $600. I want my VR headset to be optimum.

To see online whining about the price actually makes me happy because I know I won't have to share this new VR world with them.

Imagine if we were getting a cheaper low-quality headset to satisfy the noisy children.

Pity it's not $1199 then

Does that remember your position when you exit the game and start it back up? If you center the headset in the config window, it's always centered in game.

No - you have to manually adjust your eyepoint position. There's a guide around here somewhere, and I asked this specific question some time ago, to which I received a meaningful reply linking the guide - my reply isn't as helpful.

However, I do remember (FTMP) how to do it. First you hit R-Shift and R-CTRL PLUS your KP Arrow keys, 2,4,6,8 to go down, left, right, up, respectively. RSHFT+RCTRL+ KP (-) and KP (*) move you out and in IIRC. THEN, MOST IMPORTANTLY, you MUST hit RALT+ KP (0) to get it to save your eyepoint position.

Sometimes you have to go out and then come back into the cockpit to activate it...at least I have experienced this on occasion. It also remembers your eyepoint by plane when you save it correctly.

GL! :pilotfly:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Oculus Rift's price point compared to other new technologies with inflation.

http://fortune.com/2016/01/12/oculus-rift-pricing/

Still makes me scratch my head about the outrage. People spend more on phones.

I paid full retail for a Phone ONCE, in like 2008, $ 349 for a Motorola KRZR, Simply because The phone I received free w/ 2 yr contract was garbage, and I couldnt deal with it no more.

outside of that, every phone Ive bought was with a 2 yr contract discounted to less than $30 from like 399+.

I have like 3 android phones now because one provider pulled out of our area and released everyone from their contracts, I had literally just signed 2 yrs and paid 20 for a 600 HTC phone.. however since its CDMA and everyone else in this area uses SimCards and this one doesnt, its been demoted to Desktop alarm Clock and Gaming app status.

My Current phone has a fantastic screen.

and I bought a $10 VR headset to use with it on ebay,

I can play the #360 videos on facebook and look around realistically.

Im still waiting for an App thay allows the phone to be used as USB Monitor, because the streaming apps dont have the resolution or latency to play DCS.

DK2s dropped to about 275 on ebay, then spiked back to 4, and some ppl still dumb enough to list the DK2s at 700+.

Since I have an enclosure and they are 10 or so online, I might get a Dual MiPI board and 2x1440p Screens for 300 or so and mount them and find away to use a different tracking system.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The price doesn't bother me. Of course, since I am an original backer I am getting one for free (along with the DK1 that I have had since the beginning). :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The Mig 21 struggles with performance under Oculus all other modules that I have work great.

How does the M2000c perform compared to the Mig 21?

R/

Daniel

It's smooth on my machine except in areas where there are a lot of buildings. I keep the graphics low, however, so to keep the FPS high. I don't have the Mig21 so I can't compare directly.

...and I had a thought recently (just a pondering) that I have been chasing frame rates since the 80's...it's like there's just never enough hardware power to run everything to the max with high frame rates :joystick:

Will the new 10 core i7-6960X CPU do it?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Will the new 10 core i7-6960X CPU do it?

1000 cores won't make a difference with DCS.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

1000 cores won't make a difference with DCS.

Interestingly the Milviz F4 in p3dv2.5 with flyinside is taking advantage of all four cores, or at least thats what MSI afterburner shows. I wonder if more cores would work better with that awesome sim?

R/

Daniel

The Milviz t38 just wrecks frame rates in FSX with FlyInside for me.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

The Milviz t38 just wrecks frame rates in FSX with FlyInside for me.

Try p3dv2.5 it offloads a lot to the graphics card the 38 runs great, I think its called tesselation

or something like that. Its a fantastic Oculus experience as is DCS.

R/

Daniel

Edited by Burnerski

With DCS I have tried upping the cockpit resolution but I don't notice much if any difference. But flyinside with P3dv2.5 has a "ultra setting" and noticeably improves the gauges. I get about 85fps in the Milviz 38 and 75 in the F4, very smooth.

The only one so far that I have tried with DCS 2.0 that won't run smooth with Oculus over unpopulated areas is the Mig21.

I think I'll buy the M2000 and check it out.

R/

Daniel

Latest DCS News Here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2659915&postcount=14

Highlights:

F/A18 - releasing later this year

F-5 and Saab Viggen - releasing later this year

Straight of Hormuz - releasing later this year

Northern France - releasing later this year (WWII emphasis)

Looks like good news to me!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Latest DCS News Here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2659915&postcount=14

Highlights:

F/A18 - releasing later this year

F-5 and Saab Viggen - releasing later this year

Straight of Hormuz - releasing later this year

Northern France - releasing later this year (WWII emphasis)

Looks like good news to me!

and over wing vapor

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Is DCS playable yet with Windows 10, with the latest oculus runtime and with the latest DCS version?

If not, what combination of OS, Oculus runtime, and DCS version currently works best? Also if not, has there been a date projected (or estimated) as to when DCS will be ready to use with the latest Windows and runtime versions?

Edited by gtrdrt

It works fine with all of the above. But 2.0 is not as smooth as 1.5 when it comes to FPS. WAGS mentioned that with CV1, they will implement Async Time Warp which should help with judder quite a bit.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Does anyone know if there are any intentions to implement sli into DCS for the Oculus Rift. I believe the drivers have been released by Nvidia to allow this to happen and it should be a big help on fps with DCS?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i9-9900K - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Motherboard - Nvidia RTX 3090 - 64gb Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz - Win 10 64bit - Reverb G2

Well considering sli does not work in 2d or 3D currently we sure as heck hope it gets here one way or another. Glad I left my dk2 in storage as sli would be great right now especially with VR sli coming out. Hopefully it all will be integrated by April when most of us will have the cv1.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Well for the non-VR, some reports from the SLI forum seems to indicate that its' working now. Someone posted an Nvidia setting and people have reported positive FPS jumps. Not just utilization of CPU with no FPS benefit.

Let's hope VR is next. And before people jump in with the obligatory "SLI is bad because it increases latency..." I'm talking about native support from Nvdia that saunder alluded to.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1