Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that completely I would use the camera maybe to grab a drink something along those lines I'm gonna stick with the Rift I just wanted thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's very important, and will have a cup holder designed and firmly memorized in muscle memory, at least for the first few drinks. :)

I bought into VR to remove the real world. The last thing I want is the real world encroaching into my 1940's world. I personally won't be standing up, and waving a wand around putting myself and everything else around me in danger. I can also program my Hotas, and Voice control to do everything I want without ever having to look at it or the keyboard.

This. :thumbup:

I bought into VR to remove the real world. The last thing I want is the real world encroaching into my 1940's world. I personally won't be standing up, and waving a wand around putting myself and everything else around me in danger. I can also program my Hotas, and Voice control to do everything I want without ever having to look at it or the keyboard.

That said the front facing camera could be good for some peoples VR activities, but atleast in the Vive Pre prototype, the very low detail 2D camera won't be very good for looking for control inputs. Muscle memory will do it faster. That said future versions of the Vive and Rift will likely have more detailed front facing 3D cameras.

All true... The Vive is marketing to a totally different customer. The option to move around really has no added value in the context of a flight sim. What matters is field of view, rendering speed and quality. The display that does those things the best are what will draw me.

Is this the "I've pre-ordered" section?

Just ordered. What was $599 USD turned into $699 USD when I selected I was in NZ.

Then shipping (which will be from China) was another $138 USD on top of that.

All that equates to $1355 NZD

Then when it arrives in NZ, it will be stung with import duties and GST which will equate to approx a further $200 which makes the rift $1555 NZD

Yep - maybe a little buyers remorse right there. Have never used any of the DK's so I am hoping this will be mind blowing for the cost!

The good news is that extra 100usd covers GST.. The $839 usd all up is the final cost to the door. yeah, shipping is more expensive but it seems this time it is being double shipped. Once to a local warehouse and then second to us. That is why they need to collect GST as it goes to a local business then to us.

The good news is that extra 100usd covers GST.. The $839 usd all up is the final cost to the door. yeah, shipping is more expensive but it seems this time it is being double shipped. Once to a local warehouse and then second to us. That is why they need to collect GST as it goes to a local business then to us.

Thanks Metal, I'm very glad to hear that. Still an expensive exercise. How did you find your DK2? Did you order the CV1 as well?

P.S. - I've never used all those panels you made for me. But I still have them all :)

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

According to these leaks, they did plan to release CV1 with front facing camera.

Why they ditched the camera and bundled Xbone controller is anybody's guess.

http://www.slashgear.com/gleaning-information-from-the-oculus-rift-cv1-leak-10387717/

That is from June and I see no mention of a scrapped camera?

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Before the pre order opened I was very reluctant to buy the DK2. I thought that once the CV1 is out, the DK2 will become worthless. Now that I know the price and how long it will take to get a CV1, I'm thinking that maybe a second hand DK2 is viable anyway, just to get a taste of VR. Question to anyone out there with a DK2: Do you think it's worth getting a DK2 for this reason at this time? I can get a good deal on a second hand DK2. Less than 1/3 of the price that I would have to pay for CV1. What about future support from Oculus? Will it work with future games and runtime releases?

Its in the photos.

"In addition to the headset itself with a wire that runs from the front to the back and out to nowhere, you'll find a wired camera/sensor to the left and a controller to the right. "

They once contemplated it and changed their mind.

You misunderstood the article!

That sentence refers to the image showing the camera, hmd and the controller. Nothing to do with a hmd camera, all it shows is a circle on the front of the hmd rendering which you are assuming is a camera, which of course proves nothing...

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Do you think it's worth getting a DK2 for this reason at this time? I can get a good deal on a second hand DK2. Less than 1/3 of the price that I would have to pay for CV1. What about future support from Oculus? Will it work with future games and runtime releases?

I had a DK2, and it was awesome, but was only any use for pleasure flights, the resolution and far distance lack of definition made it nearly impossible to fly without labels, even with labels it was hard to actually pick out the targets unless they were in your face, so unless this has improved massively I won't be buying.

I sold my DK2 shortly after for this reason alone, an amazing piece of kit if they can nail it properly tho.

Ok, if you think its not a camera that's fine. Most can see its camera on the front. You can clearly see the lens.

"Along with the first look at a VR input controller from Oculus, today’s leak shows a front-facing camera on the consumer version of the headset as well as a redesigned positional tracking camera."

http://www.roadtovr.com/front-facing-camera-and-new-positional-tracker-for-oculus-rift-shown-in-leak/

oculus-rift-cv1-front-face-camera-webcam-4.jpg

Okay that article sounds a bit more interesting, thanks

Project IX Cockpit

Oculus have hinted at further add ons several times at CES. It's not unreasonable to think a camera may be one of them. I've also read the rift will be available later on without the Xbone controller.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

What is the best (most suitable) DCS module for use with the Rift? Looking for comments from those who use a rift version (DK2 or CV1) with DCS. The A-10C is my favorite, but I am worried about the resolution and inability to read displays adequately...

Is the CV1 resolution be good enough to use/fight the A-10C?

Thanks

Edited by lobo**
I had spare time

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

What is the best (most suitable) DCS module for use with the Rift? Looking for comments from those who use a rift version (DK2 or CV1) with DCS. The A-10C is my favorite, but I am worried about the resolution and inability to read displays adequately...

Is the CV1 resolution be good enough to use/fight the A-10C?

Thanks

As an owner of an owner of a DK2 I can tell you the Screen Door Effect made it unplayable to dogfight in DCS.

CV1 has supposedly fixed the Screen Door Effect (Sde) so that should not be an issue. However I am personally concerned that the resolution will not be high enough to spot targets or the SDE solution creates too much blur hindering the spotting... I would like ED to answer these questions as if it does I will cancel my preorder!

Regarding aircraft IIRC the Fw190 and P-51 worked very well, with more detailed cockpits aka Mig21, Mi8 the framerate suffered however that was in 1.2.

I would love to try 1.5 and 2.0 however my DK2 is in America with my brother :(

Edited by Krupi

Project IX Cockpit

Under 1.5 and 2.0 DK2 has been running just fine. The performance increase since 1.5 was amazing. Stuff can still be challenging to read, displays, etc.. It's not as bad as some make it out to be.

Spotting aircraft is still a challenge. when you are close in - doing dogfights, it's not bad and your SA awareness goes up compared to TrackIR.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

According to these leaks, they did plan to release CV1 with front facing camera.

Why they ditched the camera and bundled Xbone controller is anybody's guess.

http://www.slashgear.com/gleaning-information-from-the-oculus-rift-cv1-leak-10387717/

The Xbox controllers were added because 99.9% of the VR content was made for that type of controller. It cost Oculus very little, as it was part of a very limited partnership deal with Microsoft. I doubt Oculus paid anymore than ten dollars for the controller, and would have very little effect if any on the price of the Rift.

The inclusion of the xbox controller made most VR content developers very happy, it didn't cost Oculus anything to do it, and it didn't cost the Rift buyers anything. If you already have one sell the controller to offset the Rifts price. A failure NOT.

Edited by Chivas

Redundant fail. Last minute add on to try and make up for high price and lack of controllers.

Last minute??? The vast majority of VR content has been made for Xbox type controllers for the last few years. Your obvious dislike of anything Oculus has clouded your perception of reality.

Before the pre order opened I was very reluctant to buy the DK2. I thought that once the CV1 is out, the DK2 will become worthless. Now that I know the price and how long it will take to get a CV1, I'm thinking that maybe a second hand DK2 is viable anyway, just to get a taste of VR. Question to anyone out there with a DK2: Do you think it's worth getting a DK2 for this reason at this time? I can get a good deal on a second hand DK2. Less than 1/3 of the price that I would have to pay for CV1. What about future support from Oculus? Will it work with future games and runtime releases?

Having tried the DK2. it's not a product you'd want to use all of the time. It's fine as a taster, but having tried it, it feels very much like a prototype and has many limitations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode