Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

The Facebook-guy has already been quoted, in his sales-pitch, that they could sell the Rift at cost. That would imply that they're getting their money in other ways. I think that goes without saying but for you guys that are still on the fence...

I don't want to open up a FB account in order to use this thing nor do I want to be tracked with regards to what I'm looking at. VR is not just for gaming... There's a host of applications it can be used for. I just prefer it to be stand-alone as opposed to buying into an 'Eco system'. It's Apple all over again... ;-)

Ultimately this deal might be a good thing but I'm not holding my breath. Then there's Sony (albeit PS4 exclusive for now) and possibly Microsoft that will market their VR thingy in the, hopefully, not too distant future. I'm interested to hear what they can bring to the table.

Edited by chaos

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people really need to try to not jump to conclusions.

The problem with that is that there is not one single acquisition by Facebook that has not followed the same path. Either it has keyed back to implementation with the primary application (thus, monetization via advertising), or its value has been stripped and the rest discarded.

So it's not actually a jump to conclusion, but assessment based on prior validated trend.

Then there's Sony (albeit PS4 exclusive for now) and possibly Microsoft that will market their VR thingy in the, hopefully, not too distant future. I'm interested to hear what they can bring to the table.

I've been interested in Oculus and CastAR from the beginning, now the Facebook thing is making me lean toward CastAR, as Facebook selling Oculus at cost has to have a catch. Time will tell.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Then there's Sony (albeit PS4 exclusive for now) and possibly Microsoft that will market their VR thingy in the, hopefully, not too distant future. I'm interested to hear what they can bring to the table.

Me too, Microsoft didn't really cover themselves in glory with the whole Xbox one scenario but they and other competitors probably just took a huge boost from this. I suspect many people ignored the competition in favour of the rift up until yesterday. They have an opportunity now to capitalise if they do things right.

Facebook branding.. http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/26/5549186/facebook-rebrand-oculus-rift-headset

Edited by Python

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Oculus was Crowd Funded and then Investor funded.

Facebook buying them, gives them a parent company with boatloads of cash.

A Parent company with a crap ton of apps and developers.

Oculus Birds VR, Coming Soon.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

"If I ever need a Facebook account to use or develop for the Rift, I'm done. You will not need a Facebook account to use or develop for the Rift.

If I ever see Facebook branding on anything that's not optional, I'm done. Not really reasonable in a literal sense, but I get your drift.

If I ever see ads on anything that I've already paid for, I'm done. That is a developer decision, not our decision. If someone wants to sell a game with built-in ads, they will have to deal with the natural consequences."

-Palmer Luckey

In case you didn't notice, Palmer, you sold your company- your willingness to be "done" has no bearing on whether or not Facebook does something.

Facebook + Palmer = Facepalm

• Like 1

Damn, I so wanted to see an IPO from Oculus.

I would still like to know the details of the transaction (cash, FB stock, etc.).

Cichlidfan you may have seen this, but I thought you might get a kick out of this if not...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-26/sheer-idiocy-markets-one-chart-oculus-edition

• Like 1

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Cichlidfan you may have seen this, but I thought you might get a kick out of this if not...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-26/sheer-idiocy-markets-one-chart-oculus-edition

Actually, I have been following Oculus Innovative Sciences (they make pharmaceuticals) for about a year now and I would hazard a guess that the move today has nothing to do with OculusVR. :)

Still somewhat entertaining.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I do like the sound of this quote though (from above reddit link)

is that 75-100 million dollars of VC not enough to bring the CV1 to market?

It it enough to bring a consumer product to market, but not the consumer product we really wish we could ship. This deal is going to immediately accelerate a lot of plans that were languishing on our wishlist, and the resulting hardware will be better AND cheaper. We have the resources to create custom hardware now, not just rely on the scraps of the mobile phone industry. There is a lot of good news on the way that is not yet public, so believe me, things will become a lot more clear over time.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I like the sound of what he is saying, thanks for posting. While some of it may be damage control. I really think Facebook is going to take a hands off approach to this acquisition.

Edit: just saw that there is initial Rift support in 1.2.8! Sounds good to me... Even though I don't own a dev kit.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

Also, "bought" isn't always cut and dry. The original management team may or may not still have a lot of rights when it comes down to how to manage the company. I'd advise everybody to stop freaking out and wait and see what happens in the long term.

It's not a bad idea to make accusations and point questions with the intent of getting some answers to some obviously troubling fears, but blind accusations aren't productive.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

While I felt incredibly let down at first, having slept over it, I think this might actually be a good thing in the long run. Let the Facebook people have their VR Second Life social thing. As long as we can use the hardware for our purposes without getting bombarded with ads while flying/gaming, it doesn't matter to us, or does it?

Sure, having a Rift is way less hardcore if World & Dog has one, but I think our use cases will be severly more extreme than those of people who just use it as a social media device.

VR is a technology for many applications, not just gaming and simming. So let the rest of the world in on it. VR must become a huge market so we get the best tech at affordable prices. Competition will work in our favor. If VR becomes huge but Oculus/Facebook hardware sucks for gaming, it is just a matter of time for a decent competitor to fill that gap.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I had good lols from this thread... Yes people! Oculus rift is going to stream your eye balls to the internet to everyone to see! No way around that! + forces you to sign up on the facebook and livestreams everything there!

Nothing wrong with this, now they have more money most likely to dev new product and sell it less money - better for everyone. Ah but I forgot facebook integration, better hide on the mountains... It might have ads too every 10min of gameplay, who knows?

I never believe anyone who says better and cheaper in the same sentence in my experience it is like military intelligence a contradiction in terms.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

I never believe anyone who says better and cheaper in the same sentence in my experience it is like military intelligence a contradiction in terms.

Depends what it is, nothing wrong with big buying power.. I can get 10x42" tv's for less tha you can get one 42" tv but someone who is prepared to buy 500,000 units can get 60" tv's for less than I pad for my 42" screens.

There isn't any mystery there. We are not talking about some guy off the street selling you something too good to be true, we are hearing the result from the scale of economies that have opened up for oculus.

Why on earth would shareholder's care about anything else but profits (it is pretty much the whole point of the exercise) and, in most cases, they have little or no influence on the company.

So again, what's the point of your post?! Viper said it, I said it, money will decide. So why do you even reply?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2027760#post2027760

• Like 1

It has just been announced that Michael Abrash has joined Oculus. The all-star team is complete now. First Atman Binstock, now him. The VR luminaries from all over the world seem to gather there to do something that will change the world as we know it.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Obligatory:

vwMin.gif

from /r/gaming

People who left Valve and joined Oculus:

Michael Abrash - the brain of VR at Valve and the right hand of John Carmack in the Quake days

Atman Binstock - one of the lead engineers and driving forces behind Valve’s VR project

Tom Forsyth - responsible for VR R&D, wrote big chunks of the Team Fortress 2 VR support for the Oculus Rift.

And people who left id Software and joined Oculus (title in Oculus):

John D. Carmack (id co-founder, id Techs and Wolfenstein, Quake, Doom creator) - Chief technology Officer

J.M.P. van Waveren (Quake 3 bots creator, Doom 3 physics, Virtual Texturing in Rage) - Senior Engineer

Christian Antkow - Engineer

Matt Hooper (Creative Director in id) - Director of Development

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I couldn't stand it any longer. Ordered mine this week. The Warden has already pledged to post ridiculous vids of me looking around like Stevie Wonder. Even that threat of humiliation didn't slow me from committing to this.

Markeebo