Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

I will wait 10 years if I have to. Not for Oculus Rift though. I have principles.

Can you elaborate? Your opinion is interesting, would like to hear more.

Edited by Razi
for clarity

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Engadget:

"Update: We're on the call now, and Mark Zuckerberg is already pointing out Facebook's acquisition of Instagram as an example of how the company is getting experience buying properties and allowing them to continue to operate independently. Zuckerberg called out virtual reality as one of the computing platforms of the future -- following desktops and mobile -- and yes, talked about building Facebook's advertising into it. Specifically, he talked about the potential of a virtual communication network, buying virtual goods, and down the line, advertising."

On that same conference call they also said that they think Oculus is worth a lot more than 2 billion just from game development alone. You guys are being purposefully short sighted. Facebook bought them for one reason,to make a ton of money and I'm ok with that as long as I get a great product. I'm sure there will be a VR app that lets you browse the web or go to a VR Marketplace or log into facebook on the rift and has advertising,but you DONT HAVE to use that app!!

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

On that same conference call they also said that they think Oculus is worth a lot more than 2 billion just from game development alone. You guys are being purposefully short sighted. Facebook bought them for one reason,to make a ton of money and I'm ok with that as long as I get a great product. I'm sure there will be a VR app that lets you browse the web or go to a VR Marketplace or log into facebook on the rift and has advertising,but you DONT HAVE to use that app!!

I completely agree with you. I think it can only bring good things. They wouldn't spend $2 BILLION on something they just want to mess with. I think they wanted to acquire it to rake in the money and in doing so will do everything in their power to make it a very profitable device(Or series of devices) to make back what they spent. I have a feeling they will be pretty hands off for a while. As for the people who are talking ads... does that really make sense? I mean come on, use some common sense. I also think Facebook is trying to diversify because they understand that they will not be around forever in their current form(think of it as the myspace of today). They have the capital currently, so why not spend it on something that could benefit them in the future?

Lets not be like the rest of the internet and jump to conclusions with knee jerk reactions. Personally I will hold judgment until they release the Rift. Until then business as usual.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

blksolo,

My guess is that no matter the game, FB will make you log in to FB to use Oculus. Maybe not right now, but eventually, they will. After all, they have to monetize the product somehow. I believe in free competition, and letting the market decide. So while I'm a bit bummed out that OR was sold, I'm not upset about it.

But my concern is that FB is not a HW company. didn't they bomb with the FB phone? Did that even make it to the market? (I can't remember). FB is about mass consumption. AFAIK, there are no hardcore games available on FB - again, I don't really use FB so I could be wrong.

So you have a software, mobile-app focused company that will decide the fate of hardcore gamer device. I'm just not convinced that the masses will pony up hundreds of dollars, strap on a - let's face it - a bit goofy looking ski-goggles for a VR experience.

Games will put up with the cords, the weight, the cost for the immersion potential. Look how many of us have Warthogs, GPUs, Rudders, TrackIR, etc.etc.

Your next door wife/mom/sister? not so much. That would be my guess. We'll see what happens.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You have a good point hansangb,I almost flipped when I saw the announcement but I have since cooled down. After listening to the conference call it actually turns out that Facebook wanted to start their own VR company but when they looked into hiring people they found out Oculus had already snatched up all the best VR people. They also said that Oculus is so far ahead of everyone else and that the easiest solution was to buy them instead of starting from scratch. So maybe Oculus has more pull in this deal than we know about. Also if Facebook was offering 2 billion,I bet others were offering also,maybe even Sony or Microsoft.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

If I have to put up with any kind of intrusive advertizing in my private gamer space I will literally not participate. I refuse to succumb to some coercion towards jacking in to some network that exists only to expose me to crap I didn't want in the first place.

I pray the product becomes its own thing and is only an adjunct to a wider set of possibilities rather than being the flagship proprietary gateway to some hardwired social network of numpties throwing eDollars at crummy games that can't be won.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

http://www.reddit.com/user/palmerluckey

According to Palmer, this deal will have lower cost and access to better tech. Also better support to developers.

Based on his posts, I'll keep my unit....

Cut down to what, 100 bucks? I don't think so.

From the NYTimes:

"About 40 percent of the time that people spend online on computers is on gaming, Mr. Zuckerberg said, and 40 percent is on social communication.

“You need to fuse both of those together,” he said."

Edited by remon

World of Warcraft is a combination of both,the social aspect made it what it is,it completely changed the face of gaming. In the end they HAVE to make a killer product and sell millions of them or Facebook is out of 2 billion dollars. You dont become a billionaire my making foolish decisions.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

World of Warcraft is a combination of both,the social aspect made it what it is,it completely changed the face of gaming. In the end they HAVE to make a killer product and sell millions of them or Facebook is out of 2 billion dollars. You dont become a billionaire my making foolish decisions.
World of Warcraft did not do anything that had not already been done by other MMORPGs. "Gaming" and "Social" have been combined for as long as there have been games. Did your school have a chess club?
Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Graystone Industries - Holoband in hand, here we come

(reference to Caprica, a battlestar galactica pre-boot

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

World of Warcraft did not do anything that had not already been done by other MMORPGs. "Gaming" and "Social" have been combined for as long as there have been games. Did your school have a chess club?

I dont recall my chess club generating Billions of dollars,Frankly I dont recall any MMORPG or any game in history generating or even remotely coming close to the money Wow has made.As a matter of fact no movie in history has generated more money than Wow. They have received at LEAST 10 billion is sales from it. I'd call that changing the way games are played.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

I dont recall my chess club generating Billions of dollars,Frankly I dont recall any MMORPG or any game in history generating or even remotely coming close to the money Wow has made.As a matter of fact no movie in history has generated more money than Wow. They have received at LEAST 10 billion is sales from it. I'd call that changing the way games are played.

Very true and what have we gained Pay as u PLay and through the nose, Anyone fancy a flight only $20 a go. No thanks I will remove all games like this and all programs like arsebook.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

Not sure what the problem is... Or am I missing something.

Facebook is hardly the most trustworthy brand and like Google, they just love to invade your privacy (locations etc) I can see it already, you'll need a Facebook account to use the rift, not a problem for me but not everybody wants one and it will no doubt try to post everything you are doing to your wall. And my main worry is that this will now force adds on you, that is the world we live in now and it is how these companies make their money. They are universally hated but that won't stop them, and nothing will take you out of a gaming experience like adds popping up. Even if the Facebook money speeds up development, I would rather have waited a bit longer personally. Maybe my fears are unfounded but we will see....

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Has the option of actual shares ever been discussed for any crowdfunding project you know?

Kickstarter backers got all their rewards, yes? Not entitled to any shares as a result of the buy-out, surely.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I'm not freaking out, and neither should you.

Take one stroll through Palmers' comments on reddit and you'll realize that this is for the best.

They can now build custom hardware and expand the teams that provide for and support indie developers and build content of their own. It is in Facebooks' best interest to provide the best product possible, to spur adoption. They will not do that by alienating the fledling market.

I think Palmer is genuinely passionate about what he does.

He was already rolling in cash and would make millions more. If he was in it for the money he would've just sold it off and walked.

Thus, he must genuinely believe that this is for the best.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Facebook is the biggest bullshit ever created for computing consumers. They are luring people and changing their policies as for their (and higher interests) convenience. People are just the sheeps for them. This association with OR is something I deeply dislike.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Kickstarter backers got all their rewards, yes? Not entitled to any shares as a result of the buy-out, surely.

I was asking in general. Not ks- and not or-specific.

I'm not freaking out, and neither should you.

Only assuming that OR won't get a dominant position and that Facebook won't taka advantage of its dominant position over OR. Both are silly assumptions, the latter even more silly than the first one.

Once a company gets into a position of a monopolist it can start take advantage of it and few blokes boycotting its products affect them less and less. They can do whatever they want with their products and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

This is the harsh reality and reassuring comments are worthless unless there are specific contract provisions granting the OR team a full autonomy.

How are they going to become a monopoly when the tech for VR headsets its so easy and readily available? Never going to happen.

Especially with Project Morpheus and a rumoured Xbox One headset in the works.

Facebook is a Software company looking to diversify and are getting in at "ground zero" of VR.

There are Billions in profits at stake.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/