03 and 07 May 2013 Updates

My opinion is that vid is a little misleading. They need to remove all scenes of BS, Huey, and A-10C cockpits. Makes it look like that is part of FC3.

That was my first reaction, too. It's an excellent video in terms of selling the scope of DCS: World, but it's extremely misleading to frame it as the "Official FC3 Trailer".

I would be very disappointed as a consumer if I bought FC3 based on that video and discovered that the A-10C, Ka-50, Huey and CA vehicles and cockpits were actually not part of the deal.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly communicating the entire scope of the product line is going to be an ongoing challenge for ED, and I don't think trailers really are the place for the fine print. Countless games show pre-rendered cutscenes in their trailers without clearly indicating they're not actual gameplay for example, and nobody cries foul over that.

It's expected trailers are there to grab attention and entice further consideration, not to fully and unambiguously communicate the entire game experience.

Plus, don't forget that you can play multiplayer with people using those platforms, so in that sense they can actually form part of the game world and game experience with just FC3.

Clearly communicating the entire scope of the product line is going to be an ongoing challenge for ED, and I don't think trailers really are the place for the fine print. Countless games show pre-rendered cutscenes in their trailers without clearly indicating they're not actual gameplay for example, and nobody cries foul over that.

It's expected trailers are there to grab attention and entice further consideration, not to fully and unambiguously communicate the entire game experience.

Plus, don't forget that you can play multiplayer with people using those platforms, so in that sense they can actually form part of the game world and game experience with just FC3.

I'm sorry, but that's a poor rationalization. If you show in cockpit, in engine shots of specific aircraft you're setting a clear expectation.

Comparing this with games that show per-rendered cutscenes in their trailers is equally specious. All of the content in those trailers ships with the game. That's not the case with this trailer.

Imagine the furore if EA, Activision or Ubisoft released "official trailers" that contained significant amounts of footage drawn from other $30 - $50 games without calling it out. They'd get slaughtered for it and rightly so.

Like it or not, it's false advertising. The trailer could - and should - have been constructed from assets drawn solely from FC3 and DCS World. I don't see any grey area here.

I'm consistently a huge supporter of ED - arguably even a fanboy - but this is a disappointing turn of events from my perspective. At best, it's misjudged. At worst, it's outright dishonest.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Actually, I can paint this a little more clearly and succinctly. Imagine it's December and we're treated to an "Official Trailer" for DCS F-15C. In it, we get to see the amazing AFM and a wonderful clickable cockpit. We all go out and drop our $50 without hesitating. We download, install and go for our first flight... but what's this? No clickable cockpit?

Don't worry, that's a different purchase. It's only an additional $30 bucks.

I'm assuming that nobody here would be cool with that, but that's precisely the scenario here.

If this was an official DCS World trailer, I'd be raving about how awesome it looks, but it's not - it's a DCS FC3 trailer. We're only accepting of it because we live these forums and know exactly what we're getting. Discrepancies in the trailer aren't an issue for us because we know we're seeing non-FC3 content. Joe Newbie, who's presumably the target audience for the trailer, is not going to be so well informed, though. That's why I have issues with this.

Edited by Pizzicato
  • Like 1

If it was a DCS World trailer, then the only cockpit they could show would be the Su-25. ;)

And I can't speak for others, but I have never in my life gone out and bought a $50 game (or even a $5 game) based on a trailer. That's why I don't think it's a big deal... it's a frickin' trailer. I don't think showing these things is so far from reality as to be worth getting upset about, in the same way I don't think showing the photogenic hairsprayed burger when advertising fast food is that big a deal, either.

Artistic license and all that.

Now a trailer has to look like an EULA... hesus..

They are also subtle advertising the other modules... so what? Is not an ad to a tooth paste.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• ED Team
That was my first reaction, too. It's an excellent video in terms of selling the scope of DCS: World, but it's extremely misleading to frame it as the "Official FC3 Trailer".

I would be very disappointed as a consumer if I bought FC3 based on that video and discovered that the A-10C, Ka-50, Huey and CA vehicles and cockpits were actually not part of the deal.

Well when they go to the website, there is a bunch of type right above the Buy Now button stating what comes with FC3, so I would like to think they might read that small blurb before buying...

And if you want to get picky... you can place AI versions of all those units in the ME and have them do what you like ;)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Very well done trailer.

But I'm OK that 'in-cockpit' UH-1H (02m02s), DCS A-10C (1m55s), Black Shark (1m45s) and Combined Arms (1m58s) have nothing to do in an advertisement FC3 video. It can confuse potential customer.

In appart from that, the video is entertaining, interesting and the music fits very well.

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

If it was a DCS World trailer, then the only cockpit they could show would be the Su-25. ;)

And I can't speak for others, but I have never in my life gone out and bought a $50 game (or even a $5 game) based on a trailer. That's why I don't think it's a big deal... it's a frickin' trailer. I don't think showing these things is so far from reality as to be worth getting upset about, in the same way I don't think showing the photogenic hairsprayed burger when advertising fast food is that big a deal, either.

Artistic license and all that.

A couple of questions now. Have you ever watched a movie trailer and then gone to the movies because of that trailer or do you just go sight on seen? If I have a hamburger joint and I take a picture of a dressed up version of the burger I sell which is a close representation of that burger that should be legit. If I take a picture of a chicken burger and I dont sell chicken burgers then thats a problem.

Trailers are meant to entice people to try the product. We are no longer the audience because we have bought it. This is for new customers and it should represent what they get, especially if they are paying for it. If I picked up DCS world because I saw that A-10 cockpit Id be a little pissed but alas it was free so Im not too upset. I would be upset to learn I have to dish out another $40 to get that cockpit however if I wasnt prepared for it. Hence the DCS trailer should only show the Su-25T cockpit(not the Su-25) and any outside shot of any aircraft because I would in fact see them even though Im not flying them. Big difference. Dont get me wrong I love this product, I just dont want ED to have issues with false advertising.

Edited by gunterlund21

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

Well when they go to the website, there is a bunch of type right above the Buy Now button stating what comes with FC3, so I would like to think they might read that small blurb before buying...

And if you want to get picky... you can place AI versions of all those units in the ME and have them do what you like ;)

I'm more or less on the same boat as you, but it can be confusing nevertheless.

See how Sega and Gearbox are facing law suit, mainly because the final product does not correspond to what had been advertised. And we are only talking about the graphic engine, not even functionality here !

source : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/01/sued-from-orbit-gearbox-sega-facing-aliens-lawsuit/

Not saying that people should try to get ED on court for that, but, you know, people tend to have their finger too close to the trigger around here these times :smilewink:

Edited by Rincevent

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese? Charles De Gaulle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Monopolies are never good, notwithstanding ED's plans for amalgamation. In a much more extreme but related story, the poor dears on the Board at Microsoft are going to take a pay cut this quarter because of shareholder dissatisfaction, so have pity because they're also suffering.

It also forces alot of people to be conformist because they don't have any other options, and say fanboy things. After Black Shark and A-10C, the cost and quality graphs are going the wrong way. If you want that, well maybe, but that's extra. Can I have water, but no lemon, please -- that's extra.

The big mistake of ED was first offer the FC3 with only the F-15 3D cockpit, also they had 3D model for the A-10A in plans, trying to discriminate all the rest. This now is fixed and almost all the FC3 aircrafts will have 3D cockpits. Really big mistake and I think a lot of people were upset about ED at this moment.

This crisis began at this moment. Is their fault I think

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the MIG 29 didnt get any love, no pit, no external edm, nada.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

A couple of questions now. Have you ever watched a movie trailer and then gone to the movies because of that trailer or do you just go sight on seen?

Movie trailer also don't show you scenes from a different movie.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Technically, everything in that trailer will be seen with FC3... Cuz everything is unified in DCSW.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Technically, everything in that trailer will be seen with FC3... Cuz everything is unified in DCSW.

Technically, no.

There is no Huey, A-10C, Kamov cockpit or Combined Arms 1st person Ground Unit Control, view or otherwise, to be had in FC3. If a user purchases FC3 on the strength of the trailer expecting the above and does not get it, then there's an issue.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Technically, no.

There is no Huey, A-10C, Kamov cockpit or Combined Arms 1st person Ground Unit Control, view or otherwise, to be had in FC3. If a user purchases FC3 on the strength of the trailer expecting the above and does not get it, then there's an issue.

I was just going to say that was a bit of a stretch but I like your answer better. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Technically, no.

exactly

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

My guess is that ED is taking a chance with this trailer, they're primarily promoting FC3 but also throws in a few goodies from other modules hoping that when people look up FC3 they will understand how the land lies and perhaps buy a few modules more.

Perhaps they should have gone with a DCS trailer instead, showing more from different modules and having a small text in a corner on which module is currently being displayed.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

I'm sure Matt Wagner and DCS know what they're doing as far as Marketing and how best to generate new Business for ED/DCS.

I didn't purchase FC3 and I seriously doubt I'd buy The Mid-Range Aircraft,I'm very thankful for the 3rd party developers making High-Fidelity Module's such as The Heuy.What I'm really looking forward to is The completion of EDGE and new terrain to enjoy.

Patrick

mini.gif

Technically, no.

Ironically i was gonna mention "except a few things" but didnt..... but thats pretty much my list.

• ED Team
My guess is that ED is taking a chance with this trailer, they're primarily promoting FC3 but also throws in a few goodies from other modules hoping that when people look up FC3 they will understand how the land lies and perhaps buy a few modules more.

Perhaps they should have gone with a DCS trailer instead, showing more from different modules and having a small text in a corner on which module is currently being displayed.

Matt did a nice DCS World movie not too long ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBGLb98zkFQ

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I will buy the F-15C and the Su-27 with AFM also; I just can't stop buying these goodies. Kind of hooked would you say? Well it's fine because it’s just a couple of beers here in Norway and you are already way over any simulator price.

Matt did a nice DCS World movie not too long ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBGLb98zkFQ

Indeed it was nice. BTW...Anyone here have any connections to a major media outlet?? DCS needs a major stage to get more attention. :D

I will buy the F-15C and the Su-27 with AFM also; I just can't stop buying these goodies. Kind of hooked would you say?

+1 My friend!!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals