Discontinuing Weekly Updates - Please reconsider

Cobra847

I love the weekly updates as they are.

Don't touch it, please.

Correction: I'm sorry weekly updates are now disappeared.

Edited by Cedaway

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's such a big deal about moving/merging/instanuking the discussion threads?

It's not like we have a constitutional right to post here, where in fact we are guests on ED's.

Someone above said that much of the discussion centered around people's pet issues which they were obsessed to see addressed before all other things. I think that sometimes a simple "We're on it" or "Known issue" would be all it needs to stop this. Many official and semi-official posts go to great lengths to avoid conveying any content. I see that there cannot be a "it'll be fixed in vnext", just a "You can stop bitching, it is being worked" would do it.

Someone above said that much of the discussion centered around people's pet issues which they were obsessed to see addressed before all other things. I think that sometimes a simple "We're on it" or "Known issue" would be all it needs to stop this. Many official and semi-official posts go to great lengths to avoid conveying any content. I see that there cannot be a "it'll be fixed in vnext", just a "You can stop bitching, it is being worked" would do it.

That actually does happen and doesn't stop it

@ P*Funk...

if you hold your breath too long, you go blue in the face

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

I find it a bit of a bizarre course of action to be honest. Regardless of what news is posted takes second place to the fact that some/any news is being posted. It attracts users back to the forums time and time again hoping for some snippet or other. And, while they are here, they might stumble upon a thread that grabs their interest that inspires them to buy a new model. At the end of the day it's all akin to window shopping. And if there's nothing to see in the window you go a' wandering to someone else's window. And, with the likes of BoS on the horizon, there's no guaranteeing that the customers will come a' wandering back in too much of a hurry. Bottom line is: We are all addicts and need our fix.......

Couldn't be arsed to read 6 pages. But as a fairly silent member, I do find it annoying when the devs have to retract some thing lots of the (silent) community was enjoying because of forum members who cant show a little restraint.

I did think the "wags day" threads popping up every week that where 10 pages long before any news was even posted was pretty childish/ and probably irritating for the devs (the mods should have stamped on this). I never did see any the complaints that where posted by members about news released by Wags...but I guess it does not surprise me that some members would do this..

I guess the devs also should maybe have had a thicker skin, it is the internet after all (land of the idiot with a platform to speak). And I don't see why the Moderators could not have put the hammer down on posters who where incapable of showing some respect/restraint.

But anyway, I'll look forward to the news letter.

Edited by BTTW-DratsaB
  • Like 1

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

What is this, some new age modern parenting "Don't inhibit them" experiment? I think moderation of the crankier people on these forums has been lacking. I'm not usually one for wanting a heavy handed moderation team, but frankly if the whining and the bitching is what makes the news stop then it should have been targeted for moderation. If its not worth moderating but is aggravating enough to cancel public information on this level then I don't know how you can explain those priorities.

Yet again I feel utterly nonplussed by the absurd decision to punish the bulk of the community for the behavior of a handful of trolls.

Here's how my relationship with DCS works. I play it, get tired of it, take a break of many months, come back to try out new patches, and overall enjoy stuff I'm not sick of anymore. In those periods when I don't play DCS I tend not to look at the forums. With wagsday I had a reason to stay connected, to keep excited about things, and observe the evolution of DCS World. As it stands patch notes are ridiculously poor and explain nothing most of the time unless you were reading a particular user thread about the issue weeks or months earlier.

I suspect once I take my next DCS break I'm going to not be here for a while because there's no reason to read these boards if info is gonna be so tight.

"How's the future looking?"

"No idea, they're punishing us for acting like the internet"

"oh, so what you gonna do now?"

"Ignore the forums and the game because when I come back 2 or 3 patches later it'll be at least exciting for 5 minutes while I read the patch notes"

"neat"

:doh:

I know how you feel. I have exactly the same on/off hot/cold relationship with EDs stuff.

The Friday updates brought me to the boards, I hadn't really noticed it but now you've suggested it, that's what was happening. I will come here less now, if I'm coming less then the same probably goes for others.

Matt should get the mods to be more proactive, maintain one update discussion thread that remains locked untill the updates released each week. Delete all other threads directly discussing the update. So there's more in each update get the third party developers to submit regular news, badger them to do so.

Couldn't be arsed to read 6 pages. But as a fairly silent member, I do find it annoying when the devs have to retract some thing lots of the (silent) community was enjoying because of forum members who cant show a little restraint.

I did think the "wags day" threads popping up every week that where 10 pages long before any news was even posted was pretty childish/ and probably irritating for the devs (the mods should have stamped on this). I never did see any the complaints that where posted by members about news released by Wags...but I guess it does not surprise me that some members would do this..

I guess the devs also should maybe have had a thicker skin, it is the internet after all (land of the idiot with a platform to speak). And I don't see why the Moderators could not have put the hammer down on posters who where incapable of showing some respect/restraint.

But anyway, I'll look forward to the news letter.

What he said^^^

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The really funny thing about your post:

If you don't mind the weekly updates, you can simply stop reading them. You would still have the regular newsletter as it is now. And everybody would be happy.

Making your dislike a rule for everybody is pretty egocentric.

First, i dont remember saying i dont mind them. Secondly, you feel happy to set the rules yourself? It's a forum, people post thier opinions/thoughts - as you say, if you dont like it dont read it or move on. Hypocrisy is a bad habit.

-Sharpe

Edited by Sharpe_95

I'm sorry, but where did wags state that weekly updates would be gone? Also, how about bi-weekly updates if he is really considering doing such thing.

It's was added to the very top of the 8-30 weekly update. Its going to be a bi-bi-weekly update aka monthly update via emailed newsletter, so update ur email and make sure ED isn't on ur spam list.

How can people complain about the weekly updates going away when they comment "when did Wags say that" meaning they haven't read the update anyways?!?!?!

Because they usually mean 'how did it happen?! Show me the posts it all broke loose, please.' I myself was surprised and reading all of the updates didn't prevent me going 'WTH has just happened?!'. I'd say - we read the updates, we didn't read the update-related discussions.

On the whole thing. If some bitching individuals caused all of this why the moderators haven't had taken care of them (neg rep, ban). I got carried away with complaining more than once, got a serious warning (still hangs below my avatar like a curse) and I'm fine with it. DCS gains momentum. With it comes crowd, less and less what the moderators/ED would like it to be. Get yourselves skilled with mace or you'll get trampled soon by the masses :)

For me its a disappointment because every friday i was looking forward to any kind of info about my favorite sim.

I dont care its just a screenshot or a few words. I am just happy to know there is something happening behind the curtain in ED.

Again all those whiners and trollers win against those silent positive people that dont behave like small children.

• Like 1

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

I got carried away with complaining more than once, got a serious warning (still hangs below my avatar like a curse) and I'm fine with it.

Don't we all... :music_whistling:

I mean we don't even know why they got cancelled in the first place and we already have 2500 views and almost 70 replies... it's better than the library this place usually is.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

How can people complain about the weekly updates going away when they comment "when did Wags say that" meaning they haven't read the update anyways?!?!?!

If, like me, they read/loaded the weekly update prior to Wags adding that notice to the top of it 119 minutes later, then I can understand. It is fairly well known that the updates get posted around 17 GMT, so that is when many people would check for it. My reaction after other people commented (without reference) about it being the last update was one of disbelief and confusion until I reread the update.

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There may be not plenty of information about progress however even one paragraph says something is going on... even if team is still doing the same as in last week there may be some other things like example.... "Yo-Yo had problems with code because of forgotten dot in the line" or "monitor exploded in front of him and there is delay"....... whatever if not weekly then 2-weekly.... monthly update is too loooong

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Absolutely.

The bottom line of this discussion is, that most of us appreciated this weekly update not just for its informations.

But for keeping in touch with the community so frequently.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Sorry but your comment is uncalled for. Wags added his comment about stopping weekly updates later, it wasn't included initially.

MAC

Edited by MACADEMIC
  • Like 1

Because once its in an update it enters the stream and it becomes common knowledge accessible to everyone, instead of the usual 100% conjecture people use otherwise.

Wagsday threads were useful for analysis and commentary of what was posted, if only they'd been posted after the news thread. No doubt many people didn't ever bother reading the actual update but instead read a lot of what was being said about it. Either way the info is reaching them.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

I don't see anything changing really with monthly updates. People will still be people, just less often. And bringing to everyone's attention the kind of behavior that ED would not like to see would help too. Like someone mentioned the stricter moderation.

I have been complaining about lack of BS2 support every time but without people bringing their voice out, they might think no one is flying the old Shark anymore and let it decay.

It was really great to see so much work going on with the weekly updates. Makes you really feel that you are a part of a live DCS World instead of buying products of some distant and cold Ubisoft or something like that.