Steam Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Steam Specific Issues

ShaZe88

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something to think about is I'm pretty sure that steam take a cut from the sales on steam, so ED would get more money if you didn't use steam. i'm not saying that ED should drop steam or anything (in fact, i found DCS through steam, but later switched to standalone) i am just saying you will support ED better if you use standalone.

Have fun!

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

I played DCS on both Steam and standalone versions and couldn't see any kind of differences... Apparently content becomes available sooner and that's about it.

Since I'm not american, the US$ fluctuations sometimes can make it less worthwhile to buy stuff in the ED website while Steam sells their products in the local currency.

Bought the Huey module on Steam recently, but downloaded and installed it out of it, just used the CD-key.

If you really like steam you have never encountered any issues with steam. I can point out several people who's experienced very bad customer service and I bet you that Steam cannot offer you the same help with any DCS related issues as ED's support helper can.

That beeing said, you must understand what may happen if a store, wether it be a online store or a store around the corner, gets monopoly. I have yet downloaded Steam myself and I am very happy that DCS was brought to life before Steam came along, or it would most probably just be another game missed. I've skipped several new games beeing released on Steam ONLY, and this is a smart move by Steam where they will save a deal with a developer to be the only one to sell their game.

Dont get me wrong, Im am very happy that DCS is to be found on Steam as Steam got such great playerbase and it will only bring more pilots to the game..

But I dont like the idea of Steam getting monopoly and if you want to deny this thought I dont mind you calling me a child for calling you a fanboy ;)

Dont you for a second think that the devs behind Steam works for free ;))))

DCS Products

~S~

Hi All:

It sais some where on this site that if i buy something here it will not work on my steam game.

Why that is I do not know so for that reason i have a few questions:

1) Can I do an install outside of steam IE: a second install ?

2) If I can do an install outside of steam can I use the codes for items i have already through steam ?

3) Why are these items not on sale in steam?

I am new to this game and it seems like something I could really get into but I am confused as to these conditions

Thanks

Don

CFS_EAGLE

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. ED and Steam have different sale schedules. Once in a great while, they coincide but not often.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

1) Yes; just download DCS World and any module you purchased on Steam from http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com and install them wherever you like (the default path should already be different from the one Steam uses).

2) Yes

3) I can't find the announcement right now, but there was a DCS sale on Steam a short while ago; it just doesn't necessarily coincide with sales right here on the ED site

Edit: Sniped

~S~

Hi All:

It sais some where on this site that if i buy something here it will not work on my steam game.

That is, because Valve (the company behind steam) decided they will no longer allow Keys purchased from the original game developer site (http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com) to be integrated into the Steam database whereas Eagle Dynamics explicitly allows you to buy a key on a Steam Sale and use it in their install. A typical business decision on Valves side.

The benefit of using the original install (non steam) , is earlier access to betas, use of the in game module manager etc.

Though you can hack steam installs to integrate those, it is much easier to install DCS World directly from Eagle Dynamics and just buy modules on Steam Sales ad required, if you didn't buy them in the frequent ED sales, already, that is.

An additional benefit to ED is sales on their page go directly into the company that does development and enhancement of DCS World for us. Not into the shareholders of a distributor...

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

That is, because Valve (the company behind steam) decided they will no longer allow Keys purchased from the original game developer site (http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com) to be integrated into the Steam database whereas Eagle Dynamics explicitly allows you to buy a key on a Steam Sale and use it in their install. A typical business decision on Valves side.

The benefit of using the original install (non steam) , is earlier access to betas, use of the in game module manager etc.

Though you can hack steam installs to integrate those, it is much easier to install DCS World directly from Eagle Dynamics and just buy modules on Steam Sales ad required, if you didn't buy them in the frequent ED sales, already, that is.

An additional benefit to ED is sales on their page go directly into the company that does development and enhancement of DCS World for us. Not into the shareholders of a distributor...

~S~

Hi All

Thank you for your quick responses.

I have created a stand alone version(outside of steam) and moved everything over.

Everything seems to be good.

THANKS again

Don

CFS_EAGLE

• 1 month later...
I just got a 160mb steam update for DCS World any read me?:thumbup:

lol looks like some one is baby sitting me...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2386055&postcount=7

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Steam update problem

When I went into Steam this morning, it started updating DCS.

However, after downloading, installing and verifying, it says that a file is corrupt, and starts the whole process again.

I have stopped the update, and done a check of local files, and it said one was going to be re-acquired, at which point it went back into the routine above.

I can now not play DCS, as when I try to launch it, it starts downloading the update, and on verification it says a file is corrupt, and starts the whole process again.

Has anyone had similar?

During the download, check out the corrupted file (being downloaded), then stop download and manually delete it. Try to repair the installation again

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

How do I know which file is being downloaded? Steam just seems to do it automatically, and doesn't give any details :(

dcs installation root folder, there should exist 'download'

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

If I remove and re-install, which files do I need to save to keep my keyboard and joystick settings and my campaign status?

Thanks

Neil

that's in different place, uninstall does not touch it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

I did buy BS2 on steam and would use it in my standalone DCS.

I have BS1 and BS2 upgrade installed on standalone.

I got my key from steam and now I will use it in my standalone, do I need to uninstall BS1 and 2?

I have bound the key to my personal account! But I can't find any BS2 in Module Manager!

I did uninstalled Steam version to be sure not having any conflict.

But what do I do wrong? In module manager I can see BS1 and I disable the module, but no BS2 is visible! Restarted game twice, no luck.

Ok, found out how to!

Remove BS1 from module manager and restart game and there we have it! Install BS2.

But it still says" Ka-50 Black Shark" in module manager! But it works....

Edited by Strix
Editing

Win 10 64. GTX1080 ti 11 Gb, Intel i-5, 16 Gb ram, SSD 1,5 Tb, 2 Terrabyte HD, Monitor ASUS XG32V 144Hz, Slaw Milans Rudder Pedals BF109F :thumbup:, Joystick - HOTAS Warthog, Throttle - HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR V5. Pimax 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Are my game and modules updating?

Hi all, I bought my version of DCS through Steam and am wondering if there's an easy way to tell if they are getting their regular updates? If so, im not getting any messages telling me so?

I only wonder as I watched a vid on the Mig 21 and he was extolling the vertues of the new patch or some such thing, and what he had looked just like mine? So is it auto updating without telling me?

Thanks in advance,

...Guy

Helicopters!! Never trust anything that screws itself into the air!

Hi!

I don't buy my keys through STEAM but it has to be the same as it is with keys bought on ED online shop. Modules are updated in larger update packages (every module at the same time) when those updates are available. When you run DCS it checks if updates are available and if so, you are noticed what your current version is and what is the version of newest update. If you want to update you click yes and that's it.

You can manualy start update by going into Start menu in you windows and in the Programs under the Eagle Dynamics/DCS World you have Update DCS World option.

Hi!

I don't buy my keys through STEAM but it has to be the same as it is with keys bought on ED ...

Except it isn't. Steam updates automatically and there is no update prompt when you start it and there is no update tool in the Windows menu.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Do steam users and non-steam users play multiplayer together online?

Hello all,

I was wondering if steam users and non-steam users all play in the same multiplay servers? Or is it seperated?

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

They can both play on the same server.