DCS World 1.5 and 2 Discussion

Wags

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to my knowledge, yes, it has been stated that curvature of the earth is a feature of EDGE. or at least possible

And has it also be stated if this will be a graphical effect only or whether it will also affect the sensor model?

I'm hoping that DCS World 2 will have the leading-edge vortices as well as the already implemented wingtip vortices. I've always wanted that feature in the game and if they already have the wingtip ones implemented I don't see why the leading-edge ones couldn't be too.

the way i understood, it will not be graphical only, but actually geometrical modeled. therefore it should be possible to model sensors to be limited by that as well...but thats only my assumption...

Let's hope so. The reason I ask is the following: We know that DCS uses a x,y,z coordinate system (from scripting etc.). I do not think that a curved earth surface will exist in a fixed coordinate system. It would be a mess with all scipts and screw up physics (gravity would be a different vector on each point on the map etc.). Rather I assume that the coordinate system is somehow "bent" over the curved ground. If that would be true, any line of sight calculated would also be "bent". Therefore also no sensor horizon would exist per default, unless it is artifically coded.

Let's hope so. The reason I ask is the following: We know that DCS uses a x,y,z coordinate system (from scripting etc.). I do not think that a curved earth surface will exist in a fixed coordinate system. It would be a mess with all scipts and screw up physics (gravity would be a different vector on each point on the map etc.). Rather I assume that the coordinate system is somehow "bent" over the curved ground. If that would be true, any line of sight calculated would also be "bent". Therefore also no sensor horizon would exist per default, unless it is artifically coded.

Why would you assume that the euclidan coordinate system would be any different with a curved map?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Why would you assume that the euclidan coordinate system would be any different with a curved map?

If the map is curved in a "static" coordinate system, you would have an y-vector that is pointing in a different direction when sitting on the runway in Nellis than in Groom Lake (in reference to the ground). Sound like a fun environment to do physics caluclations ;)

Edited by MBot

If the map is curved in a "static" coordinate system, you would have an y-vector that is pointing in a different direction when sitting on the runway in Nellis than in Groom Lake (in reference to the ground). Sound like a fun environment to do physics caluclations ;)

Erm no you wouldnt, besides I think you are confusing vectors with something else. Each (x,y,z) coordinate represnts a point in a three dimensional space. The coordinates are fixed precisely just so to prevent the problem you are describing.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Erm no you wouldnt, besides I think you are confusing vectors with something else. Each (x,y,z) coordinate represnts a point in a three dimensional space. The coordinates are fixed precisely just so to prevent the problem you are describing.

I have written one or two scripts for DCS, I think I have a good idea how the DCS coordinate system works.

With a flat surface everything is very simple. Elevation of a point on the surface is the y component of its coordinate. height of an aircraft is its y component minus the y component of the terrain point with the same x and z coordinates etc.

Now we curve the terrain. The above will only work at the center of the cooridnate system. As we move away from the center, the suface of the ground is no longer alligned with the x-z-plane of the cooridate system. Simply determining height will now require trigonometric calculations. Gravity at the center of the coordinate system will point straight down (a vector of 0,-9.81,0). But lets go 100 km to the north, gravity will now point 0,-8.9,-0.1 (numbers made up) because it is perpendicular to the surface and not perpendicular to the x-z-plane.

Basically you get into a huge mess, therfore I do not think that it will work that way. If it does I would like to know now, because then I would immediately stop all scripting for DCS since everything would be broken with DCSW2.

I get what you are saying, but the calculations are not really that complicated. You just place the center coordinates (0,0,0) at a place that corresponds to the centre of the earth, the gravity force vector would always point from the plane to the point. As for altitude yes you are right altitude would require a trigenometric calculation instead of just a simple (y2 - y1) but that would still be simpler than creating a curved non-euclidan coordinate system. (Not to mention more realistic, since that's how its done in real life, unless we want to get into General Relativity, curved space time etc. :) )

Edited by OnlyforDCS

If the map is curved in EDGE, then my guess is scripting would be done with spherical coordinates instead. e.g. [theta,phi,r] or [lat,long,h]. Even if DCS doesn't do that, someone could write a function to convert spherical coordinate input to Cartesian. I am not too worried about it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nevada and EDGE

Hi there Wags,

Any updates in regards to the Nevada map and EDGE. I know you are all doing a great job on getting any of the remaining bugs worked out in the integration of both into Dcs World. Just curious if they are still on schedule for a tentative release sometime between March and June of 2015. Also, haven't found anything in regards to what will be the cost of getting Nevada for those of us not able to jump on the a10 beta bandwagon.

Good article. According to this guy, and he's better informed than us there is only a possibility of DCS 2.0 this quarter and that it's likely 2.0 will be released in 2015. But that's not a definite. It's going to be a long and painful wait.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Good article. According to this guy, and he's better informed than us there is only a possibility of DCS 2.0 this quarter and that it's likely 2.0 will be released in 2015. But that's not a definite. It's going to be a long and painful wait.

Yes a long wait maybe the first or second half of this year or......

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

DCS World 2 Discussion

but, where are the teaser 1?

It's there just two below the second one on the list

https://m.soundcloud.com/btd/soundtrack-for-dcs-nevada-teaser

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

511.8 MB Steam update today !

And I was stupid enough to thought it was DCS 2.0 :doh:

:joystick:

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang