First Person Shooter?

mytai01

We might as well see a first person shooter experience in DCS World if one can walk around inside Aircraft Carriers!

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Oh jeez... That's he last thing I want to happen with DCS. No more Call of Duty's!

(On another note it would be really cool if there was a DCS soldier. Think ARMA)

-SilentGun

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

+99999999999999999999

-SilentGun

That would be cool. Would love to the DCS Hawg in support of ArmA ground pounders. Or, vice versa. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Merge Arma and DCS.

I wish I had a nickel for every time this statement, or some variation, has been posted. :P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

first person shooter
Even Delta force 1 would be more interresting.

Just to recall, maps are really great looking from the sky but down in the field, they is less cover & features than in Doom 1. I wouldn't even consider serious tank gameplay in it.

I wish I had a nickel for every time this statement, or some variation, has been posted. :P

Yup, If I wanted to play Arma I would play it, I dont, I want to fly planes and drop bombs, fire missiles and make things kersplode.

And lo, Reverend Vegas did say "Take forth unto the infidel the mighty GAU 8 and expend its holy 30MM so that freedom will be brung upon them who knoweth not the joys of BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT"

"Amen"

I think every year two threads for "DCS FPS" appear :).

It could have been awesome but, it doesn't seem too plausible.

This would require incomparably more detailed terrain, AI, line of sight calculations, and fully modeled buildings. There is a reason vehicle, especially flight simulator maps and FPS maps look very different.

Sure, infantry may also be made playable in Combined Arms, but this would be a very shallow and lacking representation for infantry combat, which more or less compeletely revolve around cover, buildings, and being down on terra firma, more detailed ground stuff to look at.

Detailed aircraft systems, flight, and 3D modeling, as well weapons and ground targets / threads already get pretty taxing on many systems over large swathes of terrain that is needed for air combat simulation. A FPS level detailed terrain of that size, with added complexity of calculation for all things FPS, on top of all things flight sim, AND on size of a flight sim map, sounds just downright unfeasible.

I think for simulation of some sorts of CAS, SAR and COIN missions in close cooperation / contanct with infantry, ARMA type titles will remain superior yet, even with their incomparably crude aviation modeling. But that is fine, DCS is and will remain way superiour in aircraft, systems, inderdiction and air combat simulation, after all, "horses for courses" :).

System resources, as well as development resources, are finite, and use of these resources on FPS and flight sim genres are mutually exclusive, at least if we want both sides to be proper.

I'd rather want infantry AI to be much improved in DCS, it would add A LOT to mission possibilities, and also to potential uses of armed utility choppers and COIN aircraft.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

An FPS aspect would be just an absolutely bonkers level of feature creep, but the ground war could use some updates, just for more realistic mud-moving.

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk

Here's a better idea, merge Arma's FPS and Tactical Shooter Aspect, Outerra's technology level of detail and sheer beauty + fully deformable map and DCS amazing flying representation and weapons and damage modelling.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

It's simple. Do you prefer extensive areas where to fly or a small area and detailed terrain?

The last option is what games like BF y ARMA offer: A half baked aircraft simulation and false operations without realistic distances from one waypoint to another.

I prefer DCS to be focused on vehicles only

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

It's simple. Do you prefer extensive areas where to fly or a small area and detailed terrain?

The last option is what games like BF y ARMA offer: A half baked aircraft simulation and false operations without realistic distances from one waypoint to another.

I prefer DCS to be focused on vehicles only

That's why I added Outerra... Which makes for an outstanding map from a ground aspect and a flight aspect both with absolutely fantastic looks that are really second to none and technologies (deformable terrain 3D craters etc) whilst allowing for seamless running with very high frames per second - now I know Outerra is totally unpopulated and is the whole world but if you cut a slice of that into a typical DCS sized map and there you go - a perfect map and technology solution without needing super computer performance or storage. + Underwater!

But anyway I agree that at least the focus for DCS should be aircraft and vehicles, a detailed FPS wouldn't allow DCS to be DCS - I'd rather keep the pilots and MANPADs that we have already.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Main problem I've seen people bring up is jets bullying infantry or people having to walk long distances and it just being a mess making it unplayable.

Solution to this: Don't be like ArmA! ArmA places hardly any restrictions on what people do in multiplayer and it ends up looking like Second Life with guns. Project Reality and WW2OL force people to act in a certain way and limit assets appropriately so that there's order without the need of a clan so I'd look at those for inspiration.

Some people think of an FPS element in DCS as silly and unnecessary or a fantasy, but the feeling you get when you know you're supporting an ongoing ground battle with real players or that the bombs you've pickled just injured, killed or scared the crap out of someone is a rush.

• 2 years later...

Yeah , vote for an Arma/ DCS merge , or a FPS aspect within DCS , and you are voting for a $10,000 computer to run 25 frames...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Merge Arma and DCS.

Good idea, BIS could buy Eagle Dynamics and do this

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests