Which DCS module has the best flight model?

Fred00

As the title says, which DCS module has the best flight model? The question should not be interpreted as in "the most realistic" (that's kind of hard to judge for most of us) but instead which module you think feels the best in the air and is most enjoyable to fly.

I only fly fixed wing aircraft so my choice will be limited to those. Personally I have the Mig-15Bis on first place. I just bought the module and I'm amazed with how nice it flies. It has a very nice inertia and doesn't feel too light footed. It also feels very nice on take-off and landing. Plus, if you don't handle her with care she will bite back.

Other nice flying aircraft are F-5E, Mig-21Bis and F-86F.

Hawk.:cold:

:ufo:

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Pure flying? Hawk... Seconded by the Mirage.

Helicopters definitely the Huey. Though Gazelle and Mi-8 are fantastic, as well. :dunno:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Mirage, the FBW makes it super smooth.

"Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For I am 80,000 feet and climbing." -9th SRW Det. 1 Wing Ops, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-4460, 16GB of RAM, MSi GTX 970 Twin Frozr V, ASRock H97M Anniversary, 2x 1TB HDD, Fractal design Core 1100, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Corsair Vengeance K70, Razer Abyssus mouse, BenQ 1080P monitor.

Mig-15 bis :joystick:

Love being able to feel/sense the weight and physical being of the aircraft. It has real character and needs to be carefully managed. Love the quirks and idiosyncrasies. Great satisfaction in mastering and flying this aircraft module. Very much feels like the nearest simulation of the real deal that one could expect as a PC pilot. Lovely to fly with a force feedback joystick and the Gametrix force feedback seat with the Simshaker for Aviators software https://dreamsimteam.blogspot.co.uk/p/faq.html

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

My List:

A-10C

Ka-50

P-51D

Huey

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

All the "analog" ones:

mig 15

mig 21

L 39

F 86

SU 25T

No Viggen and F5 in my hangar yet.

.. and I confess: I don't like the mirage at all.

I've thought about getting the Mirage... What exactly is it about it that you don't like? Is it a module you have already but don't want to fly because of something you think is wrong with the module, or is it just an aircraft you're not interested in?

Peace

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

HArd to choose...

I have the

- P-51

- Spitfire

- F-86

- F-5E

- Huey

- MIG-21

- F-15

I haven't flown any of these for real (I'm just a glider pilot), but I have to say DCS gives me the most accurate feeling of flight besides RoF. Believe me, I've flown every sim that was released since circa 1994. And none of these planes were a disappointment. Maybe the F-15 is not up to the standards set by the others, but the rest...wow.

I didn't dare dreaming of anything like this back in 1994...

Which DCS module has the best flight model?

They are all the best simulated flight models you can buy for PC for each specific airframe in DCS.

Favorite flight model? At the moment? I'm spending more time back in the Ka-50, Viggin and the Spitfire IX for ww2 aircraft.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I've thought about getting the Mirage... What exactly is it about it that you don't like? Is it a module you have already but don't want to fly because of something you think is wrong with the module, or is it just an aircraft you're not interested in?

It sounds like FBW may not appeal to him for flight simulation.

The Mirage 2000C is an excellent module and its developers get an A+ for communication in their forum. You won't be disappointed.:thumbup:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Very interesting question. Subjectively some people enjoy flying the SFM modules. Others wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

From an objective viewpoint, ED's AFM/PFM flight models are probably the most accurate. I would have to say that the L39C has the nicest flight model that I've tried in all of DCS. Feels very "real". No other way to describe it. The force feedback is very well implemented too.

I have a FFB joystick so that will undoubtedly color my experiences. With that said the Su27 I find comes in a close second.

No idea what to put in the third place, but since Ive been spending so much time with it lately I have to say the Spitfire, though objectively probably all the WWII birds have FMs at the same level of quality.

1) L39C

2) Su27

3) Spitfire

(Honorable mention: Mi-8, I've completely ignored the rotary aircraft in DCS lately, but the Mi-8 has a really nice, chunky, "heavy" feel to it.)

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

F5

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Try as I might, I can't say one is better than the other. I enjoy them all, just depends on my mood at the time I fly for what appeals to me. I agree with pretty much all the assessments here but I just love them all! :D

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Which one "feels" the best is subjective, personally I love all of the Belsimtek modules. But again, it's personal preference.

In terms of accuracy? F-15, as far as I can tell. Now, before anyone rips me a new one for listing an FC3 plane, believe me when I say I'm surprised too.

I could probably write a few pages on my findings but I'll sum them up here:

1. The behavior of the flight control system and how it changes with aircraft configuration is all implemented. The Pitch trim compensator, CAS, pitch/roll ratio controllers, and the aileron-rudder interconnect are among the most obvious.

2. The aircraft's performance matches damn near perfectly with real life. Example: using a NASA proven zoom climb profile, you can reach altitudes very close to those achieved in real life. (110-120,000 ft)

3. The F-15 has very interesting control departure characteristics. From what I've read, it's stable and very departure resistant 99% of the time. Due to the aircraft's very high effective dihedral, certain combinations of angle of attack and sidesslip can produce unexpected and very violent departures. This is modeled in the Sim extremely accurately as far as I can tell.

The F-5 appears to have a similar level of accuracy, but the aircraft isn't as well documented as the F-15 so it's hard to be certain.

Edit: Wow, facepalm. I didn't read the entire OP before replying so I answered a question that was never asked...

Edited by Pocket Sized

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.