New VR Settings for 2.5

Wags

Ingame IPD value's are almost as individual as a prescription to glasses.

Im using 52, but that doesnt mean 52 works for who ever else.

I change my value ingame - sit in cockpit and go to options/VR, and adjust. Judge the scale in cockpit, and then I jump around the map, getting in front of planes, vehicles, soldiers etc using LCTRL+F11, again judging size/scale. And do that again and again, until I found something I was happy with. Been adjusting between 50 and 55, and currently settled on 52.

If just changing out in the menu, the menu can go all wonky and swim out of focus. Can do in game too, but just ignore. After a restart its all in focus again - for me at least.

They way I see this working is, that its not really the scale you are changing, but the distance to the focus point. Its 'side effect' is just that everything looks smaller or bigger. Lower values moves the focus closer, while greater values pushes the focus point away.

Not to be mixed with Field of View. FOV remains.

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

--snippage--

Just curious, what is your physical eye IPD? In the 60's?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I change my value ingame - sit in cockpit and go to options/VR, and adjust. Judge the scale in cockpit, and then I jump around the map, getting in front of planes, vehicles, soldiers etc using LCTRL+F11, again judging size/scale. And do that again and again, until I found something I was happy with. Been adjusting between 50 and 55, and currently settled on 52.

If just changing out in the menu, the menu can go all wonky and swim out of focus. Can do in game too, but just ignore. After a restart its all in focus again - for me at least.

They way I see this working is, that its not really the scale you are changing, but the distance to the focus point. Its 'side effect' is just that everything looks smaller or bigger. Lower values moves the focus closer, while greater values pushes the focus point away.

Not to be mixed with Field of View. FOV remains.

FWIW I have been working between 50 and 55 as well, between 51-53 most often. I do the same thing as you, except I only worry about world scale from and inside the cockpit POV as I never use external views anyway...I load in to the cockpit and change the setting and see what "feels right".

I've sat in a number of different jets at the Wright Patt Dayton Air Force Museum, so I use that as my proper scale to make it as true to life as possible.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Just curious, what is your physical eye IPD? In the 60's?

Dont know my exact IPD, but I think the Rift adjust ended up at 60 or 61mm.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I've sat in a number of different jets at the Wright Patt Dayton Air Force Museum, so I use that as my proper scale to make it as true to life as possible.

I wish I had that experience to lean on :)

For the cockpits I had to rely on pictures, with a dude in it, to get a sense of scale/size.

Does anybody know how wide these cockpits actually are? Like quite exact, say from canopy rail to canopy rail in a F-15 for example? Could be good for judging.

I ended up setting my IPD in game to the same number from when I calibrated the Rift.

The only one that looks out of place is the A10 which just simply looks very wide, but all other air frames look great. I don't fly the Hog much, so not a biggie to adjust as required.

I wish I had that experience to lean on :)

For the cockpits I had to rely on pictures, with a dude in it, to get a sense of scale/size.

Does anybody know how wide these cockpits actually are? Like quite exact, say from canopy rail to canopy rail in a F-15 for example? Could be good for judging.

If you look at the Home Cockpit subthread under INPUT Output, Stang had some detailed measurements for quite of few planes.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Once again because of the confusing and erroneous naming by

ED users are not understanding what IPD is and that there are two types. As stated earlier IPD is Inter Pupillary Distance and is the physical measurement between the pupils of the users eyes when looking directly forward. This number is what gets set in the RIFT or VIVE when setting the IPD for the headset lens spacing. This is completely unrelated to the setting in the DCS settings menu called IPD which is actually nothing of the sort and should be called World Scale or Virtual eye camera spacing. That setting is to determine the distance between the virtual eye positions in the VR world and affects how the scale of objects appear in the "WORLD" of DCS. Smaller numbers make all the objects and cockpits seem larger and larger numbers make everything seem smaller. DO NOT SET THIS NUMBER TO YOUR PHYSICAL IPD AS MEASURED ON YOUR FACE!! They are two COMPLETLY different thing and ED really needs to rename that setting to avoid this kind of confusion in future. If your physical and virtual IPD numbers happen to be the same it is purely coincidence and a fluke.

Agreed. VR World Scale or so would be better. In scaling, I am now using Wags' suggestion of 50, as that seems to match how I perceive my virtual hand size and HOTAS position compared to my own hands while sitting in my seat.

Edit: While on the subject, it would be nice for ED to add a slider or spin button for those values to be changed; right now, you have to enter values via keyboard, and while wearing the VR headset, that's quite annoying when trying different settings.

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

My physical IPD is 71 but I find that the sim setting works best between 53 and 58 or so depending on the aircraft. I have always felt that the mirage looks like a toy sittin the cockpit and everything is way too small to read. \ meanwhile the A-10 seems just right to me.

• 3 weeks later...
If you look at the Home Cockpit subthread under INPUT Output, Stang had some detailed measurements for quite of few planes.

Searched a few different ways and can't locate this thread.

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

Agreed. VR World Scale or so would be better. In scaling, I am now using Wags' suggestion of 50, as that seems to match how I perceive my virtual hand size and HOTAS position compared to my own hands while sitting in my seat.

Edit: While on the subject, it would be nice for ED to add a slider or spin button for those values to be changed; right now, you have to enter values via keyboard, and while wearing the VR headset, that's quite annoying when trying different settings.

May I suggest using Voice Attack, setup the numbers 1 through 9 as voice commands, that way you can tell the computer what digits you want.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

Searched a few different ways and can't locate this thread.

Hmm, looks like he deleted all of the posts. See this post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3390552&postcount=3

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Wow. I tried it at 50 and it does add a new immersive dimension. I've only tried it in the Huey so far.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Wow. I tried it at 50 and it does add a new immersive dimension. I've only tried it in the Huey so far.

Indeed it does. I've been hovering between 50-52 and really loving it since 2.5 was released :pilotfly:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I would like to know what the Force IPD distance does because without it enabled, the camera/vision was always displaced to the right and I was always forced to pan the camera but now the camera is just on the center where it is supposed to be. good job.

It changes the size of the world around you. In other words, it makes the cockpits the same scale as your perception would be in the real jet. I ended up setting mine to 45 and now the Mirage feels like I'm wearing it which is how it should be ;) . My Warthog stick and throttle are in the same place in the real world and the virtual. Hope that makes sense lol.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

the force IPD controlls the L/R Camera distance of the rendering engine, it shouldn't matter if it's Oculus API or SteamVR API.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I've tried IPD 50 on Oculus and gone back to the default setting. The realism of this setting is easy to check even if you've never sat in a cockpit before and do not know how big everything should be - simply turn on pilot body and you'll see that at IPD 50 your legs are like 40% longer and twice as fat as in real life. At default IPD e.g. Ka-50 pilot's legs on the pedals and arm on the stick look like belonging to a normal human male.

the force IPD controlls the L/R Camera distance of the rendering engine, it shouldn't matter if it's Oculus API or SteamVR API.

Yes... But it doesn't seem to be working in the vive. It affects the UI for sure... but nothing else changes at all.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

IMO if "Force IPD Distance" were renamed to "Force World Scale" it would be much more intuitive as to what it is we are adjusting with this setting.

It is NOT the same thing as the IPD we set on the Rift with the slider...

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

IMO if "Force IPD Distance" were renamed to "Force World Scale" it would be much more intuitive as to what it is we are adjusting with this setting.

It is NOT the same thing as the IPD we set on the Rift with the slider...

.. Been Over this at least 5 times in the beginning of the thread..

Physical IPD on the HMD Does this, AKA Focal IPD, Adjusting the IPD of the Lenses to Match your Eyes for clarity and reducing eye strain.

Rendering IPD changes the IPD between the rendering viewports within the engine itself., thus adjusting scale.

Matching the Rendering IPD to the Focal/HMD's IPD will make every Appear 1:1,

Closing Rendering IPD will make objects seem larger, Opening Rendering IPD will make objects seem smaller..

Basically, you're scaling your head size, smaller Virtual IPD will shrink your head, making everything seem huge, larger VIPD will make your grow your head, making everything seem small.

The Same Applies to VR Video Recording,

if the Lenses while recording are close together, the video when played back with HMD will seem large in scale,

if the camera lenses are farther apart the video will play back and seem everything is smaller.

Which is why Video Content on VR Sites seem to have different Scales even though you have not changed anything on your HMD.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I've tried IPD 50 on Oculus and gone back to the default setting. The realism of this setting is easy to check even if you've never sat in a cockpit before and do not know how big everything should be - simply turn on pilot body and you'll see that at IPD 50 your legs are like 40% longer and twice as fat as in real life. At default IPD e.g. Ka-50 pilot's legs on the pedals and arm on the stick look like belonging to a normal human male.

I think it's very individual. For me the body always looked like a small alien. Now I set it to 53 and everything looks like real world! :thumbup: