Disappointment! Trap-model & Forestall.

CoBlue

In the interim, put me on the LSO platform. You want realism? I'll start waving your arses off for being long in the groove, fast, lined up left or right, overweight, or a ball high or low at the wave off window.

Most of the landings that end up with "unrealistic" traps would result in technique wave offs. Your lousy approaches would get you sent to the beach as a disqualification and remedial training.

Put me on the platform Skipper, I'll straighten these guys out!

Oh, and stop dumping fuel on the ship!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Viewpoints are my own.

I trap over 95% in the F14 and I guarantee I couldn’t stick one in real life! 

• Thanks 1

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

I confess that I am terrible with the carrier pattern and sim landings in general, and I am more than certain it is lack of a VR set that causes me this trouble. I can land planes very smoothly in real life, but then I can easily move my head and mark my visual site picture. That spatial awareness really helps me. In hundreds of attempts with the F-14, I have landed fairly reliably but scored only two OKs to my memory.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

7 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Can you shed some light on this?

Guess I'm almost nobody then, since I'm flying it almost exclusively.

Was about to say, I'm 50/50 between A and B, the A has remained more popular for longer than I expected on MP servers. It is good to see people enjoying both variants.

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

You know what guys, I think we should make a get together and do some carrier traps, and I can help you all to get a bit better. If enough of you are interested, I'd be happy to provide that. 🙂 Let me know. 

• Like 7

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

30 minutes ago, near_blind said:

So ugh... who's bringing the Forrestal? 😆

Always the one who's asking bud. 😄 We can't wait!

PS: for a great experience, if we do such an event, it will be SC ofc to provide the LSO platform.

• Like 3

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

I thought about doing something like that if the T45C ends up being a decent platform when it is released. Hopping in someone's back seat might help get some folks up to speed, but a lot is a pilot going out and practicing basic instruments in the landing configuration before trying the ship. 

Won't know until we get our hands on the flight model, but they've had some good input. We shall see.

If you fly good passes, staying on speed with a centered ball all the way with minor deviations (half ball high, maybe a quarter ball low), then you don't really have to worry about the trap model being too forgiving, do you? 😎

Viewpoints are my own.

19 hours ago, Gunslinger22 said:

I am not remotely supporting what he has said, or his overall rhetoric, but surely people cannot just keep turning a blind faithful eye away from the fact that HB has not maintained any of their deadlines set. I love their products and will always support their amazing work. But surely people cannot keep just allowing this to go unspoken? 

You know there's a now YEAR long global pandemic going on right?

And also a whole........Deal.....going on in Belarus where ED is located?

Edited by RustBelt

Just two side-questions wrt good passes:

Is there are way to corellate ball-position with the PLAT image?

I figure it's different for every aircraft, but are there rules of thumb for the F-14 and F-18?

The other question is a definition:

I figure "a ball high" has the meatball sitting just above ("on top of") the datum-lights, two balls high would have the ball be a ball's width above the datum lights, etc.

Is that correct?

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

2 hours ago, RustBelt said:

You know there's a now YEAR long global pandemic going on right?

And also a whole........Deal.....going on in Belarus where ED is located?

Nah fairdinkum never realised? That’s bizarre, hope everyone is doing well.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Every time someone asks "when?" is actually asking the dev to stop the development and write an essay on the forum instead, which can comfort one for a while but it's usually wrong info anyway. Please don't hold the development.

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Is there are way to corellate ball-position with the PLAT image?

I figure it's different for every aircraft, but are there rules of thumb for the F-14 and F-18?

LSO would have control over proper GS angle and hook-to-eye distance set on IFLOLS and camera.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

17 hours ago, Victory205 said:

In the interim, put me on the LSO platform. You want realism? I'll start waving your arses off for being long in the groove, fast, lined up left or right, overweight, or a ball high or low at the wave off window.

Most of the landings that end up with "unrealistic" traps would result in technique wave offs. Your lousy approaches would get you sent to the beach as a disqualification and remedial training.

10 hours ago, IronMike said:

You know what guys, I think we should make a get together and do some carrier traps, and I can help you all to get a bit better. If enough of you are interested, I'd be happy to provide that. 🙂 Let me know. 

I'm game. Say when and where. 🙂

We can provide the server, too.

Edited by Slant

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

17 hours ago, Victory205 said:

You can grade my passes any time. 🙂

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

On 3/18/2021 at 3:05 AM, CoBlue said:

we got the F-14A that almost nobody flies

Happy to be part of the Team Almost 🥳

EDIT: now that I think about it, the F-14A is Almost the most popular version of the F-14 in DCS! 💪
I know, I know, I'm sorry, I'll see myself out…

Edited by Karon
  • Like 2
full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

I would also say that the "A" is flown much less frequently than the "B".
But there are no reliable statistics on this, so it doesn't matter how often a certain model is flown.

For me personally, the release of the A, before the B was feature complete, was a disappointment.
I mostly fly the F14 solo. So for me the most important feature that is still missing is JESTER's LANTIRN AI.

And to the topic: I personally think that a realistic trap model is by far the least important thing HB should be working on at the moment.
To be honest, before I found your article, I never wasted a single thought on how realistic (or not) the trap is when I land on the carrier.

Edited by Dagobert666

On 3/18/2021 at 4:42 PM, Bremspropeller said:

Can you shed some light on this?

EDIT: Just ignore my post, i was misinterpreting yours.

Edited by unknown

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

40 minutes ago, Dagobert666 said:

For me personally, the release of the A, before the B was feature complete, was a disappointment.
I mostly fly the F14 solo. So for me the most important feature that is still missing is JESTER's LANTIRN AI.

The guys responsible for either do not cross much, the A has nothing to do with Lantirn not being ready. It is simply complicated and takes very long to achieve is all. But the A did not distract from its development. This is something of course impossible to know for you guys, but in 8/10 cases working on one thing does not reduce the work on another thing. Same like when ppl tell us we give more love to the Tomcat than the Viggen, while it is two separate teams working on either, etc...

To explain further: A implementation was mainly a topic for our FM/ engine developers, while Lantirn is something that other developers would do, etc. What is more likely to happen is that say an FM dev gets distracted by a bug in the FM, but almost never the implementation of a new feature from one department delays another unrelated feature from a different department. So there is no need to have this "I would wish this feature would be done before that one" kinda mentality. Usually they grow side by side and rather independently. The reasons for a feature coming earlier or later are manyfold and too much to get into, but think along the lines of less complex, more complex, needs this other feature (in the same department) first to work at all, etc etc...

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

1 hour ago, unknown said:

The ability for the Jester AI to use the Lantirn TGP for some LGB delivery - for us SP solo F-14 users without friends who are interested enough in flightsims....

Oh well, i can wait as long as they implement this feature faster for the A-6E "Tiger" AI 😜🍻

I think you missed the joke: the other guy misspelled LANTIRN as LANTERN, hence the reply from Bremspropeller about shedding some light.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

16 minutes ago, Karon said:

I think you missed the joke: the other guy misspelled LANTIRN as LANTERN, hence the reply from Bremspropeller about shedding some light.

Ah that was a joke, yes i missed that totally...must be because of little free time...thank you for clarifiaction. 👍

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

On 3/18/2021 at 6:15 AM, IronMike said:

Thank you for your feedback, @CoBlue. Please accept our apologies that we were still not able to deliver on this, it will definitely be done before the Tomcat leaves early access. Please understand that our plate is full with working down a long list, and thus we are rarely able to predict how long something will take, no matter how hard we try.

We shall aspire to do better, and in order to facilitate this, we are making some changes abouth which we will have an update for all of you soon. These will help us to work more focused on several areas at the same time in the future and thus streamline progress better and hopefully faster. Our apologies for the long wait again and thank you for your kind patience. 🙂

Thanx, waiting for the update.

On 3/18/2021 at 4:37 PM, IronMike said:

The refined "bonus" feature is "more sophisticated trap model". And now we could argue is it a core feature or not, and certainly a naval module is not really complete without it, but from the developer's perspective what is more important is that you can principally fly case1s, make traps, etc.. The bonus feature here is not only that the hook will bend correctly, but also a sophisticated damage model, so that you can rip it off, etc...

Glad you agree that "certainly a naval module is not really complete without it".

To the rest of you calling me derogatory names etc. I asked 2 times during 2 years for this, I'm not spamming the forum. It's a feature that was promised before release & that the F-18 had from day 1. Waiting 2 years is frustrating. But you some of you just have to refer to personal attacks & the usual "EA" excuses on HB's behalf & self-satisfaction. Some of you doesn't even seem to have a comprehension what this topic is about!

Fact is that there was even a long thread sticky that  @Victory205 posted "F-14 Case I Patter/Landing Tips" with a comprehensive PDF, where he explicitly described how challenging traps will be with the new "sophisticated trap mode". That thread was taken down without any explanation. This topic was very much alive at F-14 release......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

maybe we should remember that given the tremendous fidelity of this module its hardly surprising its not all feature complete yet but its definitely better than having a module that feature complete on basic implementations but is no where near as high res and detailed as our Tomcat is becoming. Excellence takes time but better that than a mediocre module delivered early. Has everyone forgotten just how much we are getting? Forrestal eventually, AI Intruder, F-14A / B + lots of customizations (early BLOCK 135 AND Iranian F14). I'd say we got a bloody good deal so obviously it will take time to reach fruition. I'm grateful theres a developer with a ZEN like obsession for perfection even if it results in a long dev cycle. Cheers.

Edited by zone 5