[REPORTED]2.5.6 Performance

+1 yesterdays update did not change anything for me regarding performance.

Test to reproduce:

Start any mission (ramp start) from the F/A-18 aggressors campaign

i9 13900K, Asus ROG Z690-E Wifi, 32GB DDR5 6400RAM, Asus RTX 4090 TUF, TM Warthog with F-16 Stick, Trackir 5, Windows 11

Disappointing FPS hit for me too with 2.5.6.. I've gone from smooth running/ Vsyncing at 60Hz down to 45 ish with the same settings from previous beta. GPU is only %60 used too.

Rolled back until fixed

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

For what its worth. Same mission, same settings (SSLR off in 2.5.6). 2.5.5 vs 2.5.6.

- 2.5.5 is the one with the highest framerate. Notice the simulation frametime in 2.5.6.

Edit: And no, its not related to the Ka-50. I can jump in any module and get the same result.

Screen_200221_113130.thumb.png.c915dad824f3eea1324022d4cf605a8f.png

Screen_200221_112617.thumb.png.22bdf69ffce3dcd81bf26d3707336775.png

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

The game starts in borderless window every time despite having fullscreen enabled in the settings.
Well known issue which exists as long as DCS itself. It does cost some fps but it isn't the cause for the recent performance loss under 2.5.6

Never seen borderless window ever (DCS 1 year) prior 2.5.6. I've lost 27% fps (weak system). Last patch, no difference.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

well, i was about to open a new topic, than i found this one.

with 2.5.6 i had a FPS drop, but apparently, if i start in air and just fy around, FPS are more or less the same as 2.5.5. (lets say 60-70fps range)

when i land, it gets slower and FPS drops to 30-35, i tried in a busy mission with lots of vehicles, and an empty map with just my plane, the result was exactly the same.

after i landed and FPS dropped, getting back in the air did not make fps go up again, that is even more weird.

i think a track its useless, as long it records also FPS (that i get from nvidia shadowplay).

Never seen borderless window ever (DCS 1 year) prior 2.5.6. I've lost 27% fps (weak system). Last patch, no difference.

The game was switching to borderless by default between v 2.1 and one of late 2.5.xxx builds, then that annoying problem was fixed and full screen option worked properly for at least one year indeed.

During a few short tests of yesterday's version, however, I've noticed that the damn borderless might be hauting us again. I'm going to take a closer look at it today.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Some further looking into the performance problem.

Using the same mission as Ive used all along (all happens in the Krymsk, Maykop, Tuapse triangle), I added a client Ka-50 with takeoff from ground down in Turkey, so far far away. Now I have around 80 fps, compared to the 33 on the ramp at Gelendzhik (or any other place up there).

So could indicate some further LOD issue, maybe related to what is or isnt used for reflections, or maybe something completely different that turns 'off' at range to player.

I also tried setting all AI to 'AI OFF', made zero difference.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

so i finally did a clean install of 2.5.6 and just did a simple straight and level test between 2.5.5 and 2.5.6 running VR FPS and i got this :

y4mH_uEloo2kQhENLWbBmDi3dW3RfMjUkbZqAfEgpz1OV0qKqyYCdzlNpCwhpN1o95PsVy7kzW94sZX9iSivRlpuYadG98Ke0qyPp17TyYbq6ENSiFCT6I7gBq1jxsqUKGXQiIh_nccnFZPEQeFmmTSxlVECABX17IMsIp1-nKmzmZ4-VD13U0JylA9RhEetAF8

this was running the F/A18 instant action free flight in the Caucasus, so nothing exciting and all still in acceptable ranges for "OK" performance.

Three things struck me:

1) the CPU is doing a bunch more work albeit the maximum frametimes don't increase very much in this simple test its pretty clear that the average does and significantly, green is 10ms and as you can see in 2.5.6 its nearly always yellow. looking at the numbers that's a 30% hit.

2) the GPU usage has increase significantlyby something like 22%

3) and this one puzzles me it isn't using as much GPU RAM in 2.5.6 about 1.5Gb less... on the settings...

no conclusions, but a supposition, are we seeing increase CPU activity as result of decreased GPU memory usage or something daft like that?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

The game was switching to borderless by default between v 2.1 and one of late 2.5.xxx builds, then that annoying problem was fixed and full screen option worked properly for at least one year indeed.

During a few short tests of yesterday's version, however, I've noticed that the damn borderless might be hauting us again. I'm going to take a closer look at it today.

I think this might be the case, my cursor is not constrained to the DCS window as I would expect with a "dedicated" full-screen application, I can freely move to my second monitor and work in another program where as before I required using ALT+TAB first.

My Rig:

CPU: i9-9900k - Corsair H150 Cooler. RAM: 32GB, 3200Mhz.

Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS Formula XI - Main Drive: 512GB NvME SSD

DCS Drive: 512GB NvME SSD - Graphics: GTX 1070 Ti. Display: 23" 1080p LG LCD.

Input: Razer Naga & Blackwidow Ultimate, TrackIR 5, HOTAS Warthog & MFDs (x4), Saitek Rudder Pedals, TurtleBeach PX22 Headset.

well, i was about to open a new topic, than i found this one.

with 2.5.6 i had a FPS drop, but apparently, if i start in air and just fy around, FPS are more or less the same as 2.5.5. (lets say 60-70fps range)

when i land, it gets slower and FPS drops to 30-35, i tried in a busy mission with lots of vehicles, and an empty map with just my plane, the result was exactly the same.

after i landed and FPS dropped, getting back in the air did not make fps go up again, that is even more weird.

i think a track its useless, as long it records also FPS (that i get from nvidia shadowplay).

I get the same on landing. What I see in perfmon, I ran a quick trace, is that the core running what seems to be the DCS main thread just starts getting smashed at 100% at about the time I land and start to see the problem.

When I takeoff and fly away, the framerate comes back but it I turn back to the airfield or look at it, the framerate drops massively again.

Pagefile and memory usage looks quote consistent. The GPU is doing f-all, it's a Radeon VII so when it gets hot it tells me all about it.

Try setting CPU affinity so that DCS does not operate on core 0/1(v). This often helps with another well known flight sim for me as it allows the first core to focus on background tasks and windows solely while the game runs on all other cores.

Haven't tested as not really got time now but worth a shot and a re-test to see if anything improves?

during a night mission with some explosives in ka-50 cockpit, i saw 18fps. that's terrible

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Try setting CPU affinity so that DCS does not operate on core 0/1(v). This often helps with another well known flight sim for me as it allows the first core to focus on background tasks and windows solely while the game runs on all other cores.

Haven't tested as not really got time now but worth a shot and a re-test to see if anything improves?

It's not a terrible idea, to 'get things working' if it works, but, what changed to cause it, I know I can get similar performance by doing a number of things changing the graphics settings, not using mirrors etc... This wouldn't I'm act game play, but it's hardly a plug and play change... I'll give it a shot later today ????????

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I think it’s obvious that the issues are terrain related, hence why people have issues on the ground, using TGP, IR etc. Now I hope ED have a plan, the logical step would be to get on Vulcan ASAP and stop slamming the Single Core. DCS has gone as far as it can in complexity on single core.

I think this might be the case, my cursor is not constrained to the DCS window as I would expect with a "dedicated" full-screen application, I can freely move to my second monitor and work in another program where as before I required using ALT+TAB first.

It's been like that for years. “Full screen” and the limitations one would normally associate with it only applies to one screen — attach a second one and you get borderless behaviour at all times no matter what your settings are.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Anyway, glad I'm not the only one griping about stuttering in 2.5.6 :)

I have a decent rig, and framerates are great, but the stuttering sucks! Fix it ED!

Honestly, aside from the improved night lighting draw distance, I don't really see any improvement and the sim now runs poorly. Shadow draw distances are actually worse, giving the maps a rather bland look at altitude. That sucks because I really liked the older version of the sim, and got it running relatively stutter-free for quite a while.

Not any more, back to Stutter City!

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Excellent performance in 2.5.5 - unstable and much less FPS in 2.5.6. Please fix it or revert back to 2.5.5 if the new lighting is costing THAT much FPS.

I don't find the framerates to be any worse (with SSLR turned off, of course) than 2.5.5. It's the constant stuttering.

It even stutters when I move the mouse around and look. Sometimes it stutters when I roll the aircraft. Weird & annoying.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I am playing 2.5.6 with a 4670k at 4ghz, a 2070 Super and 20Gb DDR3 right now. My fps are solid if I don't turn my head. As soon as I do that, my fps drop significantly for a second until going back up again causing intense stuttering.

Even when I turn every setting to it's lowest level I get the same results. With my Rift S the fps drop from solid 80 to around ~45 and then back up again. Same without the Rift S on a full hd monitor, fps dropping from 170 to ~100 and back up again. This behaviour also doesn't settle after a while but is persisting.

Windows Performance Monitor shows constant full utilization of all four cores. Mind you, this is with every setting at it's lowest. Something is clearly going wrong here.

Might have to download stable to check if I have the same cpu usage problems there.

Edit:

It even stutters when I move the mouse around and look. Sometimes it stutters when I roll the aircraft. Weird & annoying.

@Aluminium Donkey: What does your CPU utilization look like?
Edited by Migo

Caucasus Map the Culprit?

I could certainly be wrong here, but after playing around quite a bit more with 2.5.6, it seems like the really significant performance loss is mostly relegated to the Caucasus Map.... and it is probably the good old tree shadows (or older map tech in general)... there are a LOT of them and performance in Caucasus is a lot worse (when low enough in altitude that the Tree LOD's start kicking in) than it was in 2.5.5. Persian Gulf has taken a small hit, but it other ways it is running smoother for me. Just some thoughts.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

The 2.5.6 update feels like a total step back for DCS and should have been tested a LOT more by ED. The new lighting (bloomy HDR effect) looks way worse than 2.5.5. Everyone on the GS server reports massive lag and FPS hits across the board. Let alone that a lot of units and weapon ID's are all messed up as well. ED needs to step up their game or simply revert back to 2.5.5 and go again from there.

I could certainly be wrong here, but after playing around quite a bit more with 2.5.6, it seems like the really significant performance loss is mostly relegated to the Caucasus Map.... and it is probably the good old tree shadows (or older map tech in general)... there are a LOT of them and performance in Caucasus is a lot worse (when low enough in altitude that the Tree LOD's start kicking in) than it was in 2.5.5. Persian Gulf has taken a small hit, but it other ways it is running smoother for me. Just some thoughts.

Massive fps hit at Nellis, 35-40 fps, poof, gone. Other places up north on the NTTR seem ok. Haven't tried McCarran but it's probably as bad there too.