Best gamma setting

jimblue74

Rift S, used to have 1.7 but lowered it after the last update to 1.5

System: MSI Z370 | i7 8700K | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080Ti | TM Warthog | Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | SA342 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | F-5E | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-14 | C-101 | F-86F | MiG-21 | MiG-19P | MiG-15 | F-16C | JF-17 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV2 | KA-50 | Christen Eagle II | Yak-52 | Bf 109 K-4 | NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf | The Channel

In 2.5.6 I've found out the 1.6 gives me the best results. The terrain looks great and the cockpit as well. My setup is in my signature.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

The best gamma setting is really quite simple - what looks best to you on your monitor or VR headset.

:smartass:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

What is best gamma setting for you? I know it depends on the monitor, personal tastes, but I would still like an opinion. Thank you

Gamma configuration is complicated as it will depend on your monitor's configuration. The industry standard is 2.2.

I recommend this site for you to calibrate your monitor. https://calibracionhd.com/ Download according to the resolution of your monitor or TV. :thumbup: :smartass:

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

The best gamma setting is really quite simple - what looks best to you on your monitor or VR headset.

:smartass:

you are right, but also wrong. monitors of people who do not care are factory calibrated to 2.2. monitors of people who do care are mostly calibrated to 2.2 as well. that will make 2.2 the correct gamma to start with, as it should render the game as intended. if it's subjectively too dark or too bright for your taste, i would recommend first checking the windows colour profile, monitors hardware profile (set to srgb/default, maybe tweak black level) and adjusting backlight brightness and ambient brightness.

only after that i would change the gamma setting in the renderer.

VR seems to be different though. does anyone know, why basically everyone here that uses VR has a very low gamma set ingame? are VR headsets calibrated to a different standard?

Im curious too. As a designer, I have my monitor calibrated not only by gamma but also the colors and the colortemp. That said, I use an ingame-gamma of 2.0 to have it look balanced by day and night. Looks very well BTW. As I plan to go VR, I wonder too why the average gamma here seems to be way lower than 2.2. What is different? According to those settings, 2.2 would be way too washed out. Is that the case?

VR seems to be different though. does anyone know, why basically everyone here that uses VR has a very low gamma set ingame? are VR headsets calibrated to a different standard?

Could it be that LCD/TN panels in VR headsets are brighter than IPS / VA screens most people have in their monitors?

Currently, there is not a best gamma setting in 2.5.6. During the day, cockpits look best between 2.1 and 2.7, but then the outside terrain looks incredibly bland and washed out. At 1.2 - 1.8, daytime terrain looks pretty good but cockpits are then way too dark.

At night, it's easier to find a good setting, around 1.2 or 1.5 (any higher and midnight looks like midnight in northern Alaska in the summer).

At dawn or dusk, before the globe of the sun has actually passed above or below the horizon (after the globe is out of sight, 2.5.6 looks beautiful), the colors are garish and incredibly unrealistic.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

For my monitor is at noon gamma 2.2 fine, but at night it is a false darkness is more like an overcast.

When the correction for 1.3 gamma night is naturally dark, but the day the brightness of the terrain and the cockpit reminds me of a 19 hour in the evening.

In the current beta it is not possible to set one universal value.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

I'm one of those who don't care, so I left it at my old, preferred 1.8. It might change, however, If, after few years break, I decide to start flying night missions again! I also suspect that ED is going to do some tweaking in upcoming weeks and we'll have to re-adjust.

Flat screen here.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hello Wags, why not stick to a fixed official target value which would serve as a solid base for lighting development ?

Also, as a suggestion, I remember that some games use some sort of quick calibration method consisting to make almost disappear a dark square on black background to visually set the intended gamma result independently from any user's display device gamma setting, originally "calibrated" or not.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Hello Wags, why not stick to a fixed official target value which would serve as a solid base for lighting development ?

Also, as a suggestion, I remember that some games use some sort of quick calibration method consisting to make almost disappear a dark square on black background to visually set the intended gamma result independently from any user's display device gamma setting, originally "calibrated" or not.

+1

This would help to level the playing field and avoid unintended/intended advantages, having global calibration.

+1

This would help to level the playing field and avoid unintended/intended advantages, having global calibration.

For sure, which is what we had before the update. I wish they could've just improved some of the individual lighting problems (city lights and airport lights too dim, collision lights too dim, some afterburner effects too dim, etc.) without just turning EVERYTHING on Super-Nova lighting mode! Would love to get back closer to the subtleties of 2.5.5 lighting (minus the stuff bolded above), but I digress... :)

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Gamma configuration is complicated as it will depend on your monitor's configuration. The industry standard is 2.2.

I recommend this site for you to calibrate your monitor. https://calibracionhd.com/ Download according to the resolution of your monitor or TV. :thumbup: :smartass:

Ah, Spanish, the international language of the Internet.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

+1

Because that's a nonsense notion that doesn't exist. Calibration is done on the users end. You either do it, or you don't. It's like changing the oil on your car. It's nobody elses problem if you don't do it or only do it after the oil turns to sludge.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2