FLOLS overlay?

Knock-Knock

-It encourages a bad scan

-it aint realistic

-it can be distracting, as in you focus on it to much

-another source of error --> MAYBE at some point down the road (bug?!) the overlay dosent show the same state as the actual Lense would.

-and its cheating

If the "realistic" on monitor (what a joke) were better done then the OPTIONAL user choice would not need to exist.

How dare you say a server should have a right to disable. Is that what you are saying ?

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

It can be argued that for competitive landings it might be disabled. Its just a pity that the current implementation of the ball in dcs makes such a tool desirable. The majority are NOT engaged in such landings orientated dcs.

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

Having to zoom in hard to see the IFLOLS at 3/4 mile is not realistic either, we are in a sim our FOV or resolution in VR is greatly reduced, the option of an overlay is a good quality of life improvement for those who elect to use it

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

Competition or not, it should be optional on everyone's rig.

I'm not going to use it if I don't have to. I like to see things where they are supposed to be, especially in VR.

I'm sure the graphics experts on the dev team will find a way to enhance the vis and also increase the resolution of the ball movement … somewhere down the road.

Regardless, the biggest improvement for me will be my future VR set. One of the these fancy new 'soon to be released' sets.;)

Quick question: Is the IFLOLS position on screen 'draggable' so we can place it anywhere we want?

Cheating and not realistic says the guy behind a monitor in the comfort and safety of your own home, running a game and holding a toy, while having in-game bionic vision and owl like abilities.

We need a like or thumbs up function! :thumbup:

Cheating and not realistic says the guy behind a monitor in the comfort and safety of your own home, running a game and holding a toy, while having in-game bionic vision and owl like abilities.

Just your average guy behind a monitor safely in his home (0KIAS, 0ft AGL, 1G), flying a game with his toy here.

Yes, it's still "cheating".:lol:

No bionic/owl vision used over here. Just compensating for being a guy sitting behind a monitor in the comfort and safety of his home.

You might even be shocked that I "cheat" to compensate for holding a toy (curves & deadzone) too. Shocking... I know. And I cheat with my TrackIR too.

Cheating only makes sense in a context of a competition. And unless you want to count the Greenie Board as a competition, the competitive part of DCS ends when the MASTER ARM is put to SAFE

get over yourself.:P

Flight simmers can be really obnoxious sometimes, and reading this thread only reinforces that statement. The first time Ed introduces something to actually help 'PLAYERS' (not pilots people) and folks cry about it, unbelievable. Like the above poster says, get over yourselves for gods sake.

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

POST OF THE YEAR!!!!

Well done sir!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Oh FFS! where are we going with this, lol.

Just a small check box in the game setup and everyone is happy:D

BTW, has anyone seen what this FLOLS looks like at night? I usually turn down the lighting to minimum and I hope this "thing' will have low intensity at night. Perhaps it's not an issue.

Wags' comment regarding the overlay in new Case I Recovery video:

"It is currently automatic, but we plan to make it a toggle and on/off default settings. It is only a feature of Supercarrier."

My proposal would be simple: Just add it to the RCtrl+Enter overlay and make the auto-popup optional. Everyone's gonna be happy.

why can't they just increase the light intensity on the ship ??

You simply can't request realistic spotting or view distances at ED's... CASE 1.10 dealwithit.png

QOTY fsgrin.png

This community though... can't really fly online because everyone's turning dot labels off since "it's cheating". Having probably the crappiest Mk. Ib eyeballs that still can see something in the world, those are a great accessibility option for me, but well, "it's a cheat" still. Too bad they show up even if something's hidden behind the cockpit structure. Needs being worked on ASAP because THAT actually is the cheat all the boys are talking about. And since the migoto mod actually does change that (listed in the features, never tried it though becasue I can't even get the kegetys mod running in the first place which would anyway be the preferrable one for me because of DCS' VR performance) I just don't get why ED doesn't change it. Probably because it's prio level 1 in a scale of 1 to 100, the higher the more important thanks to "everyone" seeing it as a cheat anyway rainbowdashwink.png

Well, the other reason is my rig simpy doesn't cut it anymore with the 50+% loss in fps in MP icon_exclaim.gif

We need a like or thumbs up function! thumbup.gif

Legend has it the board once had a reputation function that everybody liked - except for the tech admins. I mean, why has it been removed out of a sudden? Don't quote me on that rdlaugh.png

(To be fair, it probably just fell victim to a board software update which then didn't support the custom addon anymore, as always. At least that's my uneducated guess)

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I for one am glad to see the meatball overlay. I had a very hard time seeing it in my oculus rift.

It may have to serve as a temporary solution until facebook/oculus gets a 4k VR headset with less screendoor effect.

This is the funniest community I have ever seen. Half want realism, the other doesn't. And then the bickering back and forth over a game lol. I stopped flying military in P3D because I had heard that DCS is this and that and realistic. To an extent (it is just a game) it has realistic points but at the end of the day...sometimes it's just like Ace Combat got upgraded (never played it, just looked too fake). If you don't like said feature, don't use it. I stay off of servers because I don't want to dogfight with a pink Hornet (cool if that's your thing)! No harm, no foul.

I hope I can toggle it off too because I never had a problem with the "real" one. But if not, oh well...

Peace

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

I'm curious as to why it is needed at all. The Ball should be visible on the side of the carrier as in reality. That they need a visual aid says something is very wrong with visibility generally within the sim.

As for those screaming "it's only a game" - maybe, but we fly DCS as it is *supposed* to be the best of the best in terms of realism and accuracy.

If we wanted arcade mode, there are dozens of other *games* out there.

I do understand that VR users have resolution issues, so helping them out I see no issue with...as long as it is optional for the rest of us!

I'm running a 4K display - how many pixels does it require before something should be visible? Even my 20-year-old digital camera has better resolving power than this.

I'd prefer the lights to be a little too visible than a little not; it would still be more accurate/realistic than a pop-up.

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

FLOLS overlay needs to be optional at release! I don't want it on my screen.

I’m sure it will be.. cant imagine they’d force a blatantly unrealistic feature on people in this community. I also would hope the actual ball is fully functional on release. I found it slightly disturbing that one of the most iconic aspects of carrier landings hasn’t been working in these prerelease videos.. but I’m sure they fixed it. everybody is entitled to their own opinions but for me if there is no real ball at release I’ll still be landing on the old carrier until there is one. I’m sure some people will love the new feature though. With a reverb I’d say the current ball is nearly perfect in terms of a realistic difficulty acquiring it approaching the groove.

I’m sure it will be.. cant imagine they’d force a blatantly unrealistic feature on people in this community. I also would hope the actual ball is fully functional on release. I found it slightly disturbing that one of the most iconic aspects of carrier landings hasn’t been working in these prerelease videos.. but I’m sure they fixed it. everybody is entitled to their own opinions but for me if there is no real ball at release I’ll still be landing on the old carrier until there is one. I’m sure some people will love the new feature though. With a reverb I’d say the current ball is nearly perfect in terms of a realistic difficulty acquiring it approaching the groove.

+1

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

I'm curious as to why it is needed at all. The Ball should be visible on the side of the carrier as in reality. That they need a visual aid says something is very wrong with visibility generally within the sim.

We need it for the same reason we need unrealistic TDC slew for F-18, unrealistic laser code entry for bombs, unrealistic flight controls position overlay, unrealistic pause, unrealistic active pause (it's outrageous to have feature that freezes aircraft in air, so hawxy)...

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.