DCS UH-60 Blackhawk mod

Finally managed to download this mod (Google kept telling me that there were too many downloads that day). What a fantastic mod!! Kudos and a big "thank you!" to the developers. Had a blast trying it out today. I tried the cold startup first. The second flight was AAR of course! 😄 Fairly easy actually considering you have to "rearrange" your thinking compared to AAR in a fixed-wing aircraft. The video below is of my first attempt. Did it a couple of more times afterwards. Curious how they do AAR in real life since the top speed of the UH-60L is about 220kts and few tankers will fly that slowly. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, VFGiPJP said:

Not my best shots but here we go:

Hmm, I'm not really seeing what's going on there; without the controls indicator overlay in the Black Hawk, that rolling could be anything.

Well, anyway, do I understand this problem is solved for you by doing a manual startup? Still odd, because for me a hot start and a cold start don't produce a difference in the Black Hawk's behavior. 🤔

On 1/22/2022 at 3:22 PM, sirrah said:

One question though... I didn't find anything on this after using the forum search function, but is anyone else having issues with the radio communications key "\"?

Mine doesn't seem to be working properly... I was able to use it once, but now the radio menu doesn't appear anymore.

I double checked my HOTAS bind settings for errors and I also tried by just pressing "\" on my keyboard, but the menu won't show....

Anyone any ideas?

(fwiw: Although I do have VAICOM, I didn't start it, so no possible interference with that)

Single "\" are usually ground comms and "RAlt + \" for the radio, and is bindable in the module. Like others. wrote, turn on Easy Comms and VAICOM works like charm, except I cannot for the life of me get the radio to work in the cold start mission. I have no issues in the free flight and AAR mission (which was super easy as soon as I figured out how to extend the pod). 😉 

(Can't remember if you use FFB, which as a litte quirky for now. Easily resolved this by innbinding the trim release button, and using the latest version of simFFB, though one has to compile it yourself). 

Cheers! 

10 hours ago, diveplane said:

added it into mods folder aircraft dcs beta

This is how folder path should be, Diveplane:

C:\Users\{PC_user_name}\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\aircraft\UH-60L\

Edited by Devrim
  • Like 1

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I have tested this mod a bit more, and it is so much fun. 

Now I have noticed, that there is one strange thing going on with this Blackhawk.

1 Controls indicator thing shows Cyclic Pitch axis inverted (moves forward when pulled back)

2 With other helicopters when increasing speed and getting into transitional lift usually results in increase in altitude (this is also the case with UH-60L mod), but also increased pitch. That means, that cyclic position around which small cyclic adjustments are done in hover is- lets say- near the center of cyclic axis, but in cruise those adjustments happen a bit in front. It is opposite here. I have to move cyclic quiet a bit to the back, because helicopter pitch decreases (tries to fly nose down). I have no idea if this has anything to do with point 1, but  I made a simplified graph to explain it hopefully better (this is very simplified, for example usually cyclic would sit a bit more to the rear and left with US made helicopters while in hover, but you get the point):

cyclic.png

Edited by Samek
  • Like 3

[sIGPIC]http://i55.tinypic.com/21oydlx.jpg[/sIGPIC]

ヒューイ最高!o(≧∇≦o)

Hi All,

Just a couple of questions;

1. Is it possible for me, as a user of the mod, to create my own entries for the Controls Menu so I can add and map things like the APU On/Off etc. I would like to be able to bind them to my TM A-10C Throttle Console

2. What is required in terms of creating an export.lua for the UH-60L. Again, I would like to be able to map things to my StreamDeck XL, and use the DCS Direct Interface, rather than using the keyboard shortcuts

Thank you

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

I cannot get the mod to run either. I have it installed as shown below. I have also tried naming the DCS folder to DCS.openbeta as shown in Devrims example,but that did not work, and I have tried naming it (the DCS folder) to DCS World so it mimics the install on "C:" also a no go.

Thanks for your assistance!
uh-60l folder.png

So I will post a video on this soon, but I figured out why comms are not working in the mission editor.  There must be a bug.  Easy comms must be enabled in the option followed by when you create the mission, it either has to be a hot start on the ramp or in the air.  From a cold and dark start, it does not matter if you have the comms turned on correctly or not, it will not recognize ATC or the Tanker.  So the mission I posted in this thread trying to do AA refueling is now capable as long as its a hot start.  I will run through and record a mission tomorrow.  

The FPS is great for a stable take off and hover, but be sure to reset trim in the direction you are facing or the helo will try to whip around to its original course setting.  Also, FPS is terrible when trying to tank.  I have been disengaging it to refuel with the tanker then reengaging when back on level flight.  It also seems to respond slowly when coming into a hot LZ so I usually turn it off and find better control.  I am sure I am probably using it wrong because the Blackhawk pilot in the video I posted on this thread said its always in use and takes a lot of the manual tasks away from the pilot.  He said it is standard SOP to fly with it on and it is rarely turned off unless an instructor pilot is testing a student.  I would love to see videos of others using FPS and get their thoughts on it.  

Till the next video gents!

5 hours ago, rcg4 said:

I cannot get the mod to run either. I have it installed as shown below. I have also tried naming the DCS folder to DCS.openbeta as shown in Devrims example,but that did not work, and I have tried naming it (the DCS folder) to DCS World so it mimics the install on "C:" also a no go.

Thanks for your assistance!
uh-60l folder.png

Did you read this: "You may require the latest C++ redistributables for this mod to work properly"?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rcg4 said:

I have also tried naming the DCS folder to DCS.openbeta as shown in Devrims example

RCG4, mate; Don't change the folder's name. If you installed DCS Stable version, your folder name should stay as "DCS".

Diveplane and I have installed Openbeta. That's why I gave that example. 🖐️

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Yes, you just have to add a couple of folders under UH-60L folder, c.f. T-45 and A-4E-C.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

11 hours ago, Devil 505 said:

From a cold and dark start, it does not matter if you have the comms turned on correctly or not, it will not recognize ATC or the Tanker!

Thank you! Was driving me crazy! 

Happy to see i didn't do anything wrong in the first place. 😊 

Cheers! 

Try to find the default keyboard bind for rudder/anti torque (if there are any)…. from there you should be able to bind buttons. Make sure, you‘re not in the axis‘ sub menu

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Well I finally made the video.  Give YouTube a day to finish processing the HD quality.  In the spirit of the exciting news of the F-4E coming from Heatblur today, I threw a few static ones on the runway while taxing. 

So the Mod has to start in either hot start or in the air for comms to work as stated before.  You CANNOT do a cold start and use easy comms to contact the tower or the tanker at this point in the mod.  I also attempted flying with FPS for the vast majority of the flight. 

There is a weird tick in the FPS system where it likes to randomly jerk the aircraft while flying straight and level.  I listened to former pilots who said on take off or landing, be sure to reset the trim in the direction you are facing so the helo does not whip around on you when lifting off.  I did this in the video below before lifting off and she went right into a stable hover.  Using the rudder pedals to turn her down the runway in FPS was a little stiff and I noticed with FPS on, she does not turn the easiest.  Still, FPS provides the best stable flight.  After I botched attempt (not recorded) using FPS and air to air refueling, I have much better control over the helo in AAR with FPS off.  You see me turn it off right before docking with the tanker.  Afterwards I turn it back on and resume the flight.  Upon landing, again I turned FPS off.  I found the helo's response in turning with the stick and rudders not very precise.  Turning the FPS off when landing on the Frigate provided more precise movements out of all flight controls.  

I would love to hear any feedback on people flying with FPS on/off.  Really loving this mod.  I will continue to post videos on this forum as I make them.  Really looking forward to the future updates.  And if I have not said it enough, VR is the only way to go in this aircraft! Just like with the Anubis C-130 mod, leaning out of the side helo gunner station and looking up at the C-130 is beyond awesome.  The same with walking to the back of the C-130 with the ramp down over Vegas.  Nothing comes close to ED!

• Like 1